No announcement yet.

Who'd be a PM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure if your neighbors were repeatedly 'testing' high calibre firearms and semi automatic weapons, as this guy was, you would be aware of it as his neighbours were.

I'm not one to be easily outraged, I like to see people having a good time even if outside the letter of the law occasionally; so long as nobody is unconvinced or hurt.

In case you didn't notice, 2 innocent people have died and another seriously injured. There were obvious signs something was wrong, but everybody was too PC to open their mouths and do anything about it.

My thoughts with the family's left behind.

Comment

When I lived in USA/LA some PMs would wear stab proof vests when going into certain homes. In recent years they have advanced to body cams + always 2 PMs per visit where there is a potential risk.
      This incident while very unfortunate is a stark reminder to all PMs/Landlords of the potential risks involved when going inside a property.
      Worse, the NZ tenancy system for dealing with evictions via Bailiffs is just another disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

A terrible situation, and awful for all involved and need help.
        It seems to be that all social problems, housing and mental health issues are landlord’s problems. With these statistics NZ ranks at the bottom of the developed world.

Comment

Originally posted by klauster View Post
          It seems to be that all social problems, housing and mental health issues are landlord’s problems.
          You draw this conclusion from this incident?
          Or are you paranoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            Conclusion or paranoid?
            Take it as summary,
            As landlord I’ve experienced mental ill tenants, family violence with knocked out doors and broken windows, crime involving police,... etc.
            Sure, I’m not the only landlord – as media stories show.
            What is your conclusion?

Comment

Yes - there are good tenants and LLs. But I suspect that the percentage of assorted socio-economic problems are greater in a certain renter category. Flyer's story of the well-insulated, heat-pump-equipped house tenants huddled on the couch, wrapped in blankets may be an indicator.

Comment

Radio news "police were aware of the firearm use on the property but considered it a property managers issue."

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                  Radio news "police were aware of the firearm use on the property but considered it a property managers issue."
                  That is exactly the point, why are firearms, drugs, anti social behavior, etc landlord/PM's problem?
                  Taxpayers pay for all these services and what is the return?

Comment

This morning's media reports indicate he was trading weapons on Trademe without a gun licence. Supposedly we have safeguards to prevent this happening. I look forward to the rules being tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                      \
                      that was in relation to a structure he had built...but if they new he had firearms on site they should have checked for a licence

Comment

Particularly when it was acknowledged it was built for target practice.

What was he doing - throwing stones at it ??

Comment

Be Careful What You Wish For

Originally posted by Nice View Post
                          I look forward to the rules being tightened.
                          You what?

Looks more likely to be a matter of following or enforcing the existing rules would be a good start.

Comment

Why do we allow guns in NZ?
                            Why do we want people to have guns?
                            Tell me the advantages of selling guns to the public.

Comment

328 road deaths in 2016.
                              Why do we allow cars in NZ?
                              Etc.

Comment

That doesn't answer my questions.
                                Why allow guns?
                                There's no good reason that I can see.
                                Because we've always had them? - Doesn't seem a good reason to continue to allow them.
                                Because some people like them? - Those people can own a gun that has been modified to not fire.
                                Because some people like to hunt? - Perhaps such people can curtail their urge to kill.
                                Because people with 'well being issues' need protection against bad men, spies and the police? The exact people we don't want to have a gun.
                                It's our right to have guns? - Perhaps that should change.

Comment

Working...
                                X