Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Glenn View Post
    This should be close:

Residential Tenancies (Methamphetamine) Amendment Bill Member's Bill

Explanatory note

General policy statement

The purpose of this Bill is to amend the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 to deal with the increasing presence of methamphetamine (also known as P) in tenanted proper- ties. It sets out certain rights and obligations of landlords in dealing with this issue.

The use of methamphetamine is a scourge on our society. When properties are contaminated with methamphetamine it gives rise to-

o health issues, as children and older people are particularly susceptible to the effects of methamphetamine:

o social dislocation issues, especially for people renting properties:

o the need to protect the rights of property owners. The number of residential properties owned or offered for sale that are discovered to have high levels of methamphetamine contamination is increasing. At present the commonly accepted threshold for a high level of methamphetamine contamination is at a concentration of 0.5 µg (micrograms) per 100 cm 2 . However, the accepted thresh- old may change over time; for this reason, rather than prescribing a specific threshold in the legislation, this Bill instead allows for regulations to be made prescribing the level of contamination to be regarded as high-level methamphetamine contamination. It is important that this level is set at a threshold which protects the health of New Zealanders but does not impose undue costs on tenants and landlords.

In December 2015 Prime Minister John Key announced 13 anti-drug initiatives. One of these initiatives included funding to assist with developing a standard for the test- ing and remediation of properties with methamphetamine-related contamination. Standards New Zealand has now established a working party to-

o determine the minimum threshold for the presence of methamphetamine in a property to be considered contaminated:

o prepare a standard for testing arrangements-a variable approach is currently applied by industry participants:

o prepare a standard for remediation and who will be certified to undertake a test to check that a property has been remediated.

This working party is expected to complete its findings on 1 February 2017. Its work should greatly assist in refining the Bill, and its recommendations about the appropriate contamination threshold should provide clear guidance for the regulations that will prescribe the threshold level of contamination.

The issue of requiring the landlord to disclose information on the methamphetamine contamination of a property to the New Zealand Police or the local council was considered when drafting this Bill. However, this gives rise to potential criminal proceed- ings and may result in the information being placed on the property's Land Informa- tion Memorandum (LIM) report, and careful consideration should be given to whether this would be appropriate. For this reason, should this Bill be referred to select committee, the committee should specifically examine whether such provisions would be desirable and, if so, recommend amendments that would achieve this purpose.

Clause by clause analysis

Clause 1 is the Title clause.

Clause 2 is the commencement clause. It provides that the Bill comes into force on the day after the date on which it receives the Royal assent. Clause 3 provides that the Bill amends the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 (the principal Act).

Clause 4 amends section 2 to define high-level methamphetamine contamination.

Clause 5 amends section 45 to place on the landlord the obligation to provide a premises not contaminated with methamphetamine, and to inform a tenant of any methamphetamine contamination subsequently discovered.

Clause 6 amends section 48 to provide a landlord with the right to enter a premises for the purpose of testing for methamphetamine contamination (including sampling and the use of independent experts), undertaking repairs, and making an application for compulsory access.

Clause 7 amends section 59 to provide the right of either party to terminate a tenancy if a methamphetamine contamination has made the premises, or part thereof, uninhabitable.

Clause 8 inserts new section 138C to provide a regulation-making power to prescribe a level of contamination to be regarded as high-level methamphetamine contamination.

Andrew Bayly

Residential Tenancies (Methamphetamine) Amendment Bill

Member's Bill

Contents

1 Title 1

2 Commencement

3 Principal Act

4 Section 2 amended (Interpretation)

5 Section 45 amended (Landlord's responsibilities)

6 Section 48 amended (Landlord's right of entry)

7 Section 59 amended (Destruction of premises)

8 New section 138C inserted (Regulations in respect of methamphetamine contamination)

138C Regulations in respect of methamphetamine contamination

The Parliament of New Zealand enacts as follows:

1 Title

This Act is the Residential Tenancies (Methamphetamine) Amendment Act 2016 .

2 Commencement

This Act comes into force on the day after the date on which it receives the Royal assent.

3 Principal Act

This Act amends the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 (the principal Act).

4 Section 2 amended (Interpretation)

In section 2(1), insert in its appropriate alphabetical order: high-level methamphetamine contamination means a level of methamphetamine contamination prescribed by regulations made under section 138C

5 Section 45 amended (Landlord's responsibilities)

After section 45(1)(a), insert:

(aa) not provide the premises in a state of high-level methamphetamine contamination; and

(ab) inform a tenant as soon as practicable of the results of a methamphetamine test that shows high-level methamphetamine contamination; and

6 Section 48 amended (Landlord's right of entry)

(1) After section 48(2)(b), insert:

(ba) for the purpose of carrying out testing for methamphetamine and other related substances in the premises, including undertaking any sampling, examining, use of aids and independent experts, at any time between 8 o'clock in the morning and 7 o'clock in the evening of any day, after giving to the tenant notice of the intended entry and the reason for it at least 24 hours before the intended entry; or

(2) After section 48(2)(da), insert:

(db) for the purpose of carrying out necessary repairs of the premises due to methamphetamine contamination, at any time between 8 o'clock in the morning and 7 o'clock in the evening of any day, after giving to the ten ant notice of the intended entry and the reason for it at least 24 hours be fore the intended entry; or

(3) After section 48(2), insert:

(2A) The landlord may make an application to the Tribunal for a compulsory access order to the nominated premises, and-

(a) in making this application, the landlord must-

(i) supply a copy of the prior notice issued to the tenant for access to undertake testing for methamphetamine; and

(ii) provide details of the address of the premises, and contact details of the tenant; and

(b) the Tribunal must make a determination on such an application within 10 working days after the date on which the application was filed in accord- ance with section 86.

7 Section 59 amended (Destruction of premises)

(1) In section 59(1), after "as to be uninhabitable,", insert "including as a result of high-level methamphetamine contamination,".

(2) In section 59(4), after "as to be uninhabitable,", insert "including as a result of high-level methamphetamine contamination,".

8 New section 138C inserted (Regulations in respect of methamphetamine contamination)

After section 138B, insert:

138C Regulations in respect of methamphetamine contamination

The Governor-General may, by Order in Council, make regulations prescribing a level of methamphetamine contamination to be regarded as high-level methamphetamine contamination as defined in section 2 .

Comment

• A reminder on the public submissions on the draft NZ Standard for meth.

The NZPIF has been working hard on promoting a reasonable testing regime, and many of our ideas have been incorporated into the draft NZ standard.
      This Standard is now open for consultation, and public submissions close on the 20th February. This really is your chance to have your say, and the more submissions that they receive from landlords the more chance we have of getting what we want.
      There is a summary of the salient points on the NZPIF website at

If you meant to submit on this, then do it now as there are only four weeks to go.

Every submission is vital in this matter, so please do not leave it to the hard-working few.

Comment

• Meth in houses

What is your opinion on properties that show as having meth in them?

I mean say you like a house and it has a low level (well below the guidelines) of P somewhere in it that shows up on the test.

Do people care when they buy a house to live in at all? Does it stuff up the house value at all?

And youd have to pay for the tests to be done in each room, so you know where it is and be able to clean it? Then retest it again.

Comment

• Understand the difference between 'contaminated' and 'toxic'.

Everything you wear, touch and breathe is contaminated, but seldom (hopefully) is it toxic.

Comment

• Living in one now.

Comment

• Insurers struggle to keep up with meth claims
              3 March 2017
              Originally posted by Stuff
              The first Vaughan Cooper knew about a methamphetamine contamination problem in his rental property was when he found out the police had raided the house. After the raid, tests showed contamination from methamphetamine throughout the house. They indicated that while the drug had probably not been made there, the people staying in the house were heavy users. The clean-up job was extensive – the interiors had to be resurfaced, right down to the light switches. It was also expensive, through repairs and lost rent, although Cooper's insurer, NZI, footed the bulk of the bill.

Comment

• Interesting they say 'even light switches' - they are among the worst absorbers of meth and can't be cleaned I have been told.
                Just replace them all - much cheaper.

Comment

• I am off to my second Meth course in Auckland next week.
                  Will report back what I learn.

Comment

• A retirement project, Glenn?

Comment

• Looking forward to the report Glenn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                        A retirement project, Glenn?
                        Retirement ?
                        I put a tribunal application in today. The last one I did was well over two years ago. I must be suffering from ..??. Took me ages and could not remember my login.
                        Perhaps I should be taking the stuff myself.
                        I had a smart a?? tenant tell me today the picture of the negative result Meth test card on the inspection report was a fake!

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                          I am off to my second Meth course in Auckland next week.
                          Will report back what I learn.
                          Is this one similar to the first or is it designed to give you a heads up on qualifications needed to administer the standard testing which is proposed.

www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            Interesting they say 'even light switches' - they are among the worst absorbers of meth and can't be cleaned I have been told.
                            Just replace them all - much cheaper.
                            That seems odd since they are an easily non absorbent wipe-able surface.
                            Perhaps its all part of the hysteria - cash out of chaos - don't question, just accept what we tell you, that the p-cleanup industry has become.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                              That seems odd since they are an easily non absorbent wipe-able surface.
                              Where do you get your information from?

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
                                Where do you get your information from?
                                General plastics knowledge. The plastic that switches are made of is a non porous surface unlike wood & gib board which are porous surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                                X