Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's called 'trace testing'. You take one swab and run it round all the inside house surfaces. There is no point in setting levels because there is no control on the size of the surface being swabbed. Then if you get a 'trace' you have no idea which room or surface it came from and then you have to do swabs from each surface at 100cm2 to find out if there is really a problem and what the levels are. This is much more expensive.

So doing trace testing (which is what this thread started about) is probably pointless because it is hit and miss and all it will do is cause concern. The problem as I understand it is hazardous residue from Clan labs not meth users?

Wait until 'testers' start looking at used cars!

Russell

Comment

• So if you were prescribed methamphetamine is the 70s by your GP and dropped a pill that got walked through the house you'll need to pull the house apart to make it 'safe'?

Serious scam artists around, who regulates the testers? what quals do they need? What actual chems do they test for? I see the lists and most chems are present in everyday household cleaning products etc, spill the wrong combo of cleaning products in the laundry and kiss good bye to 50-100k after one of these cowboys comes in with there swab test?

Comment

• I think trace testing would be the most common 1st test.
        As has been stated in another thread it costs $120+GST in Hamilton whereas a full test costs $99+/room and $400+ for the report etc - so a significant investment for a purchaser.

I have no idea what a safe level would be but did like the fact they could tell (from a full test at least) if it was smoking or lab.
        So I suppose if the lab is the major concern areas where meth could be cooked should concentrated on like the kitchen as you suggest.

Rather a messy area really - should you get a motel tested before you spend a few days on holiday there?

Comment

• Probably not 'cowboys' .. But anyone with a swap kit and a bit of common sense could take swabs. Obviously some basic training and understanding of cross contamination issues would be helpful. But the problem is if you starting looking for stuff you will find it. Based on what my grandkids do .. god forbid that someone should swap stuff in my house !

Comment

• This whole issue has the potential to become very emotive and add more expense to the costs involved in purchasing dwellings. There needs to be some clear statements from the health sector on this issue and some clarity about what levels are harmful
            Maybe someone in the Govt reads this forum?

Government to set standards for P testing..
            After lobbying by councils, new benchmark will address inconsistencies in removing meth toxins in houses.

Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
              Maybe someone in the Govt reads this forum?
              The would be Big Brother

Comment

• Still take tenants to TT helps with insurance claim. Yes you need to prove it wasn't present prior. But you can also check out tenants if they are known for drug use criminal convictions etc. Would only but lead to tenants being held responsible. I have been successful at TT with such evidence
                Last edited by Perry; 14-01-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• We do presumptive "P" testing between tenancies.

The results are included in the TA

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    We do presumptive "P" testing between tenancies.

The results are included in the TA
                    What does that cost Keys?

Comment

• Check 4 Meth

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

• Your Best option is to undertake Laboratory testing which is designed to be used as evidence in civil cases, because of the independent nature of the laboratory from sampling company.

Laboratory testing benefits over instant/presumptive testing:

*Laboratory Accuracy
                        *Detection and breakdown of precursor drugs involved in manufacture (whether or not manufacture may have occurred within the property.)
                        *Quantity/levels of methamphetamine and precursor drugs in the sample
                        *Much more robust sampling methodology capable of providing more representative information.

This is provided with a report to fully explain the analysis and free consultation.

Have a look here, Laboratory Testing and contact for further information.

Shop around, pricing varies greatly depending on area and requirements. Happy hunting
                        http://www.methsafe.co.nz/

Comment

• What would be the cost to an owner for such a test that you suggest on an annual basis?

IE. one test a year.

www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

• It really depends on a few factors:

*Area in relation to testing company
                            *Turn around time for the laboratory testing

MethSafe has meth screenings available at $120 + GST for local (Hamilton) and up to $199 + GST for greater regions as per the website. This is on 5 day turn around in the lab.

There are heaps of companies out there, look around and pick one that has certification, experience and separation from cleanup companies. Let them know what you're after and they should create a plan that will work for your situation and give added credibility to the process.

Hope this helps
                            http://www.methsafe.co.nz/

Comment

• Originally posted by lissie View Post
                              We have a property in a small town - it's been with the same property management firm for the 10 years + we've owned it. We are currently selling it, and a buyer asked for a meth test to be done. It's apparently a "quite common" clause according to the selling agent.

The test came back positive and I am currently involved with finding out how much the damage is, and whether the insurance company will pay. The comments coming back from the agent and others who know the town is that the issue of people using meth in the area is well known.

The property had been rented to the same family with small children since 2009. They paid the rent on time, left the place spotless and left because we issued them a 42 day as we are selling. The local cop lives across the road. The suggestion a this stage is that it's "only" someone using rather than manufacturing.

Apparently you can't smell P (though another agent in a different town has told me they were told that it smelled like cat's pee), and it's very difficult to detect with a regular property inspection - which had been occuring. The PM had also advised that she was having issues with a relative that has been staying with the family for the last few months- he was angry and erratic.

It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the PM should have indicated that it was a good idea to have properties tested between tenancies? They never have given any indication. I had no idea that the town had a meth problem (I don't live there) - but it's a small place you'd think the PM with the largest rental book in town, would know? Doesn't it seem improbable that they should at least be advising LL to have regular tests done between tenancies and prior to the bond being refunded.

Am I wasting my time trying to get some compensation out of the PM (it's a mid-sized company not a small outfit) ?

The tenants still live in the town (they bought) - is there any point of going after them via the TT - or is that too late because the bond was refunded?
                              Hi Lissie

I think you would be hard pushed to get any form of compensation out of the PM.

When tenancies are running smooth its your natural tendency to not think anything sinister is going on and then when it does happen it becomes a shock.

P is becoming far more prevalent and in my opinion PM' should be trained and taught what signs and symptoms to pick up on. However the challenges with this though is and as you know you need to give tenants 48 hours notice to inspect so it gives the tenants the opportunity to remove any signs of P consumption. Labs don't have to be involved and operated in a large scale as well, they can be manufactured from the boot of a car and it doesn't take long to relocate a lab.

There are some companies around, particularly up in Auckland that have p testing between tenancies furnished into their contracts with landlords.

Hope this helps
                              Fraser Wilkinson
                              www.managemyrental.co.nz
                              Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

• Originally posted by lissie View Post
                                We have a property in a small town - it's been with the same property management firm for the 10 years + we've owned it. We are currently selling it, and a buyer asked for a meth test to be done. It's apparently a "quite common" clause according to the selling agent.

The test came back positive and I am currently involved with finding out how much the damage is, and whether the insurance company will pay. The comments coming back from the agent and others who know the town is that the issue of people using meth in the area is well known.

The property had been rented to the same family with small children since 2009. They paid the rent on time, left the place spotless and left because we issued them a 42 day as we are selling. The local cop lives across the road. The suggestion a this stage is that it's "only" someone using rather than manufacturing.

Apparently you can't smell P (though another agent in a different town has told me they were told that it smelled like cat's pee), and it's very difficult to detect with a regular property inspection - which had been occuring. The PM had also advised that she was having issues with a relative that has been staying with the family for the last few months- he was angry and erratic.

It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the PM should have indicated that it was a good idea to have properties tested between tenancies? They never have given any indication. I had no idea that the town had a meth problem (I don't live there) - but it's a small place you'd think the PM with the largest rental book in town, would know? Doesn't it seem improbable that they should at least be advising LL to have regular tests done between tenancies and prior to the bond being refunded.

Am I wasting my time trying to get some compensation out of the PM (it's a mid-sized company not a small outfit) ?

The tenants still live in the town (they bought) - is there any point of going after them via the TT - or is that too late because the bond was refunded?
                                I cannot offer any advice and it seems you have got some decent advice already but I do hope this all resolves with as less pain as possible for you . After reading this I will never buy a property again without getting it meth tested first.
                                Have you had the next text done yet? or are you still waiting? Hopefully as stated PM's will get training in spotting potential signs of Meth contamination, it's the least they can do. Best of luck!!

Comment

Working...
                                X