Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you allow current tenants to have a puppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you. We thought the cat smell (pee) was harder to get rid off than the dog smell...

Originally posted by Perry View Post
    I gave in on a cat, but didn't on a dog. Same property - different tenants.

One thing about a dog that seemed to escape the tenants at the time was: what happens if they have to move, for a job transfer - say? Having a dog in tow will severely restrict their choices of rental accommodation, where ever they go to.

The irony was that after I'd said no to the dog, they moved within a few months. I wonder if they ever thought back and said to themselves what a good turn I'd done them, in saying no?

Comment

Good to know. Thank you.
      Originally posted by donna View Post
      We have one property with a mature dog. Tenant pays extra so it works out well. Long term too as it's difficult for them to move.

Comment

Very helpful, thank you.
        Originally posted by Happi View Post
        We had an older house needing a renovation, we advertised as pets negotiable. Agreed to take on the dog after meeting it and checking g out owners. Limited our risk by charging a slightly higher rent and fix term tenancy. So far so good. I guess it's going to be a case by case judgement call you need to make. We know we will have to do a full Reno when they move out but the extra rent and longer term contract is worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Good thinking, thank you.

Originally posted by PC View Post
          Is the property suitable for a dog?
          Is there a safe passage for people to get to the front door?
          Properly fenced with enough section for the dog to run around and "fertilise"?

Personal experience has been people with adult dog have been great tenants (Solo Mums the worst).
          A puppy will be trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyandtina View Post
            Thank you. We thought the cat smell (pee) was harder to get rid off than the dog smell . . .
            Originally posted by Perry View Post
            I gave in on a cat, but didn't on a dog. Same property - different tenants.
            Understood. I've had that experience before, too. Had to pull up the carpet and seal the floor before replacing the cleaned carpet. A side note: soaking that piece of carpet (synthetic) in warm water with a good dollop of baking soda added, cleaned and de-odourised it better than the carpet cleaner's effort.

Comment

I's the same as Happi. Am a dog owner so you check out the owner and the dog and you get a good idea whats going on, especially with breed.
              Have a tenant with a 12 year old Lab cross. Not a problem. Just make sure the section is suitable. Charge slightly higher rent and have carpet cleaning clause on leaving. Which they don't do cause it's hard to find pet friendly accommodation. Although I think my limit for dog age would be 12 months up. Really depends on tenant/dog.

Comment

Cats are cool too. Maybe add a curtain claws (puns..they're great)

Comment

Originally posted by pooky View Post
                  . . . and have carpet cleaning clause on leaving.
                  But do be aware that such a claws may be unenforceable.

Comment

I am a pet lover, however, I would be extremely cautious if a renter who has only been staying at a property for 6 months asks to have a puppy because most likely they have not thought through the responsibilities that comes with pet ownership. Puppies are destructive and most owners sadly end up surrendering their puppies after few months because they realise how big of a responsibility they are.

We have, and still do, rent homes for dog owners but are extremely picky and request for multiple dog references, vet details, and council registrations. If an owner is unable to provide these, then we feel as though they will not be suitable.
                    www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                    # Property Management
                    # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Originally posted by BigDreamer View Post
                      We have, and still do, rent homes for dog owners but are extremely picky and request for multiple dog references, vet details, and council registrations. If an owner is unable to provide these, then we feel as though they will not be suitable.
                      Curious now but why ask for Vet details? What does this tell you?
                      Also, who would you expect to provide the dog references?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        Curious now but why ask for Vet details? What does this tell you?
                        Also, who would you expect to provide the dog references?

Regarding vet details, I would expect all dog owners to vaccinate their dogs annually. We would question a potential tenant who has an adult dog why their dog was never vaccinated. There are some occasions where dog owners purposely do not vaccinate their dogs because of personal concerns about the vaccination but I would prefer to hear that from the potential tenant before making judgements.

Regarding references, we expect most dog owners have used a doggy day care, boarding, pet sitters or similar when they are on vacation and as such we expect a reference from them. If the owners do not use such services, have they taken their dogs to puppy school or groomers who can provide references?

As a dog owner myself, I find it hard to believe that a responsible owner could own a dog who has never been to a vet or have never had someone look after them while the owners are on leave.
                        www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                        # Property Management
                        # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Tips To Reduce The Risk Of Damage To your Investment Property

We did an article on this a few months ago.

To reduce the risk you should ask for a maximum bond of 4 weeks rent and ensure you complete regular inspections to keep a good eye on any possible damage that may occur. Including a Pet Policy clause to outline the guidelines of the tenants keeping a pet on the property is also a good idea to help lower the risk on your property. For more tips on reducing the risk and an analysis on the benefits and cons of letting tenants own pets check out our blog post on quinovickentterrace.co.nz

Hope this helps,

Quinovic Kent Terrace Property Management

Comment

How long have they been tenants for? If less than a year - absolutely not. If more than a year have you had any issues?

End of the day if they have exhibited good qualities such as consistent rent payment and the property being kept well and they have been there longer than a year why not? But if they haven't been amazing tenants then absolutely not!

Comment

My tenant had asked from the start of the Tenancy if they could have a small dog. I said no. A year later they asked again this time sending me a photo of an adorable little puppy - the trick worked i said yes.
                                Advance forward 6 months later i had to go and fix a leak at the same property and was met by not 1 small dog , but 2!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X