Dishwasher for tenants - YAY or NAY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher for tenants - YAY or NAY?

bought a house which came with a dishwasher and wanting to rent it out to tenants. However was thinking if i should sell the brand new dishwasher off ? or leave it in there ?
    but if it gets damaged ... i'll (the landlord) will be responsible for the damage .

so to keep it there or sell it off ?

any feedback will be appreciated

ta !

It depends .... like most things! If the property is mid range or better, I say leave it. Dishwashers are pretty much ubiquitous these days, and there will be tenants for whom it is a necessity. Tenants will be responsible for damage they cause, if that can be proved. Otherwise it's just a cost of doing business. You can probably add a couple of dollars onto the rent to cover future repairs and replacement. And you can depreciate it as a chattel very quickly which helps. If brand new, can you get the receipt from the vendors or at least when it was purchased? Then print out an online ad for the same model and use that as opening book value in case IRD asks. Get hold of the manual and leave a copy for the tenants (can download most manuals.)

If it is a low end property, students or similar tenants maybe remove it. Personally I wouldn't though.

Comment

Put the rent up by $5 a week and give them a dishwasher.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I done it and IMHO I would only do that in high Socioeconomic area / Tenant.
        I wouldn't put a dishwasher or washing machine in low Socio House / Tenant.

I would also put in the tenancy agreement that all repairs would be taking on by the tenants. or that the landlord is not liable to repair it, specially if the machine is not brand new.
        New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
        FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
        CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Orkibi you would know that condition is illegal - you could gift the dishwasher to the tenant however

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
            Orkibi you would know that condition is illegal - you could gift the dishwasher to the tenant however
            Is that so? I have been using a similar wording condition in all my tenancy application related to furniture or items such as dishwasher and heatpumps.
            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
            # Property Management
            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Originally posted by BigDreamer View Post
              Is that so? I have been using a similar wording condition in all my tenancy application related to furniture or items such as dishwasher and heatpumps.
              and has it been tested in the TT?
              If not then they are just words until called to task.

Comment

I have a property with a sometimes erratic dishwasher (F&P dishdrawer, few will be surprised to hear).

I have paid a lot to have it repaired over time. I now have a clause in the TA which states that the dishwasher is specifically excluded from the tenancy, that it may be used but may not be repaired or replaced. Funnily enough it has been fine since that clause went in!

The repair person said it was almost certainly due to tenants putting in too large platters, but could not be proved.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                  I now have a clause in the TA which states that the dishwasher is specifically excluded from the tenancy, that it may be used but may not be repaired or replaced.
                  Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Whilst I understand the necessity for such a clause to protect yourself from additional costs, you may be interested to know my business partner recently had a case brought against him regarding not repairing a panel heater. He had specifically said in the agreement that the heater was excluded and would not be replaced or fixed, however the tribunal ruled against him. They said if an appliance is provided to the tenant and is plumbed or wired in as being a fixture, then it is part of the house and it must be fit for purpose at all times.

Unfortunately I can't show you the ruling as it has his personal details, but just a heads up.

Personally I think it is best to take the appliance out of the property completely. If the tenant wants their own dishwasher/heater/whatever then any repairs become their own responsibility.

Comment

Interesting.
                    As I said you can have anything in the agreement until tested in the TT.
                    Of course different adjudicators may have different ideas.

Comment

Dishwashers are great in other ways. In some cases they prevent roots from blocking the drainage/sewerage pipes outside the house, potentially a big expense. Roots hate caustic dishwasher detergents.

Comment

Dishwasher for tenants - Yay. All the properties I've bought have had them in so I've left them for tenants. When they break (only one so far - F&P double dish drawer) I replace with a second hand one. $5 p/wk on the rent for a year pays for the second hand dishwasher. Tenants like them.

Most tenants have a fridge and washing machine but not many have a dishwasher. Funnily enough though I'm renting out a place right now and one tenant enquiry asked what whiteware was included because the ad only stated a dishwasher...

Me: Correct. Only a dishwasher.
                        Tenant: Is there a fridge?
                        Me: No.
                        Tenant: Is there a washing machine?
                        Me: No.
                        Tenant: Is there a dryer?
                        Me: No... just a dishwasher as per the ad...

Needless to say they aren't getting a viewing!
                        “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

Put them in and charge more.

What would you pay for a 2nd hand dishwasher?
                          I'd just buy a new old, with warrenty etc, for under $500.

Comment

Working...
                          X