Smoke alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke alarms

I found this article on APIA this morning, i would love to start a discussion

The numbers are in and they tell a bleak story:
    Between November and December 2014, there were five serious house fires in rental properties that resulted in four deaths as well as three severe burn injuries. Of the seven victims, six were considered to be remote enough from the initial fire that they could have escaped had they been aware of the fire in the first place. Rental houses account for only 33% of our housing stock yet staggeringly they set the scene for 55% of all house fires and 89% of all fatal fires.While inferences can be drawn about tenants being at higher fire risk (and necessary targeted education campaign must follow), as accommodation suppliers, we must ask, What can landlords do to promote the safety of our tenants and minimise the effects of house fires? On behalf of the 19 Property Investors' Associations around the country as well as their members, the New Zealand Property Investors' Federation ("NZPIF") is collaborating with the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand as well as the New Zealand Fire Service to show its support for the introduction of mandatory smoke alarms to be installed in residential rental properties. The three partners support a proposal for the amendment of the Residential Tenancies Act to the effect that:
    • Landlords are required to install smoke alarms to provide for the safety of the occupants;
    • Tenants are responsible for informing their landlord if the alarm is not working consistent with Section 40(d) of the Act; and
    • Tenants are responsible for any damage they inflect on the smoke alarm consistent with Section 40(1)(a) of the Act as they would for any other property they damage.

Legislative change does not get away from the fact that even with the provision of smoke alarms (often at landlords' cost), the benefits will not be realised if tenants interfere with their correct operation (e.g. pulling the batteries out). That is why the Auckland Property Investors' Association ("APIA") shares the NZPIF's belief that a long life photoelectric alarm is preferable to the traditional 9 volt alarms. The reasons being:
    • Photoelectric alarms are physically harder for tenants to interfere with;
    • Photoelectric alarms are less likely to give a false alarm (such as smoke from burnt toasts);
    • Photoelectric alarms are easier to turn off;
    • Photoelectric alarms remain operational for longer.

At its first communication meeting of 2015, the NZPIF announced that it is close to securing a bulk purchasing deal of photoelectric alarms on behalf of all the Property Investors' Associations around the country. Information will be circulated to all APIA members once it has become available.

I ensure before any tenancy starts that all bedrooms have a quality photo-electric smoke alarm with new battery installed.
    I insist on each 3 monthly inspection that the PM checks they are working and that the supplied fire extinguisher is still there and fully charged.
    This they assure me is done - in writing on the report.

But sure enough at end of tenancy - the smoke alarms are either removed (in the cupboard) or have no batteries.
    If they get broken (how??) the tenants replace the $40 ones with the cheapest bits of junk they can find.

So tenants are bad - but the PMs are really bad!
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

HI PC, why do you say that PM;s are really bad? it seems that they are doing their job (or saying it has been done)
      You have the correct idea with your start up plan however if a tenant breaks a $40.00 alarm they should be charged to replace with like for like. no cheap substitutes. Photos of smoke alarms are really important to us so we could prove the quality installed.

you do get a 10 year lifespan product which can be locked, so it is not removable by the tenants, no need for batteries every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Property Manager View Post
        • Tenants are responsible for any damage they inflect on the smoke alarm consistent with Section 40(1)(a) of the Act as they would for any other property they damage.
        More than that the tenant shall not cause or permit any interference with, or render inoperative, any means of escape from fire within the meaning of the Building Act 2004 - 40(2)(ab)
        Under the Building Act 'means of escape from fire, in relation to a building that has a floor area,—
        (a) means continuous unobstructed routes of travel from
        any part of the floor area of that building to a place of
        safety; and
        (b) includes all active and passive protection features required
        to warn people of fire and to assist in protecting
        people from the effects of fire in the course of their escape
        from the fire

So damage to smoke alarms is specifically mentioned.

Comment

You and, unfortunately, most landlords and PMs are well behind the times Good Property Manager. As is, I suggest, the APIA.

Lookie here for an example of smoke alarms being interfered with by tenants.

Edited to add: As an aside. We fully pay for hard wired alarms to the value of $400 with each new property we sign on (conditions apply).

Second edit. We fit these alarms (other than our hard wired ones) using building glue to avoid any possible asbestos contamination due to drilling.
          Last edited by Keys; 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

often when tenants leave our apartments

i have to get on a chair with acetone to try and remove the glue residue on the ceiling

from the tape they used to cover the hard-wired smoke detectors with foam noodle bowls

bowls long gone by the time i come round

but it's true they go off with a hell of a racket

with the slightest hint of smoke
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
              You and, unfortunately, most landlords and PMs are well behind the times Good Property Manager. As is, I suggest, the APIA.

Lookie here for an example of smoke alarms being interfered with by tenants.

Edited to add: As an aside. We fully pay for hard wired alarms to the value of $400 with each new property we sign on (conditions apply).

Second edit. We fit these alarms (other than our hard wired ones) using building glue to avoid any possible asbestos contamination due to drilling.

wow Keys, thanks for sharing this information with us, I will certainly be implementing this across the board in our offices to use for court cases, btw well done for the initiative to make the houses safer.

We incentivise owners with an insurance product to cover loss of rent and malicious damage when they come on board.

Its time we all start giving exceptional service instead of just checking the bank account for arrears...

Comment

infomercial 1
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

Photoelectric with 10 year batteries and glue the batteries in with epoxy cause the nice people that are tenants will rip them out for their toys if they can. Glue the alarm to the ceiling as well.

Stuffs them up.

Comment

What is the warranty on those 10yr alarms?
                    Read the fine print one day. Can you say "marketing" (a.k.a. B.S.)?

If the agent was doing a fine job - then how come I find the alarms in such a state between tenants?
                    At least I can have some fun putting the wind up the PM.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

i'm seeing 10 year warranties

on cheap smoke detectors with standard 9 volt batteries, which only last a year...

so look for 10 year, lithium, batteries on the expensive ones

Last edited by eri; 06-04-2015, 04:34 PM.
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Consumer really liked this detector
                        Warrior MT588H-LB - the LB is the longlife battery (there is a MT588H also)
                        Mitre10 has them for around $25

Comment

I wonder if anyone has good or bad experience with hard-wired photoelectric fire alarms?

As I plan to install security alarms to my rentals anyway, I'm going to add few of these fire alarms as well - costs me nothing (around US$ 10 per sensor, plus few extra meters of 4-core security alarm wire, which is cheap).

Comment

I thought the hard wired ones were powered by the mains?

Comment

They are powered via alarm cable from the alarm system. And the alarm system has a large backup battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X