Former tenant owes me money gets her face in the paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former tenant owes me money gets her face in the paper

Two years ago I had this family who did a runner. Dropped a note and the keys in the letterbox, never to be seen again. Obviously some corespondents found their way to the right place because just before the TT hearing date I got a call from a mediator with former tenant on the line. She caught me in a good mood that day and we settled about halfway. I figured half the money through mediation was better than a flip of the coin chance with some grumpy adjudicator.

Anyway I got the bond and $50 a week until unpaid rent and damages to the agreed value were cleared. Well I got $50 one week... then some excuse about only being able to afford monthly even though the payment schedule was all her idea. Long story short never saw another cent. The roomers about the family returning to Samoa seemed more likely as the trail went cold once more. The debt was only $250 so I wan't too bothered. I registered the debt through CIA and posted a tenant rating on TINZ.

Browsing through my local rag today and guess who has her pic on page 15? It prompted me to do a little more digging. He still has the property listed on several websites as his place of business, with a disconnected number. But after a bit more digging I found a new mobile number, that just went to voice mail, and a Trade me account, no current listings.... no home address or phone number .... yet....

Enjoy the hunt...

Comment

If you don't enjoy it, it will give you ulcers.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
        If you don't enjoy it, it will give you ulcers.
        I enjoy these little tests. I often enjoy spending time on the silly little battles. For example "Windows support", you know the one where my computer magically tells them it has a virus. They just called me. I had them on hold and slowly going around in circles for a good 15 minutes. I then created a small problem for him to solve... when he tried to get me to go to his website I told him it had come up with a connection error. He sounded rather disappointed when I told him that computer was not connected to the internet.
        Last edited by Learning; 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'm keen to hear more on your 'tenant hunt' investigation Learning - good luck with it.

cheers,

donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I get these types of things all the time.. if he has a business check the companies register, do a director search.. otherwise google him (which I am sure you have done).. but my biggest score was finding a tenant who had changed his name by searching his name and town in google images.. lets just say he had his date with Baycorp and the Judge and he is now repaying $16,000 back at $40 per week (commercial not residential)

Comment

Working...
            X