Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
    Problem is you need building consent makes it a load more expensive.
    To build a new house in Mangawhai it costs $3200 for a building consent for a new dwelling up to $150k. Consents in Auckland are sooooo expensive and certainly adds to the cost of building or renovating.
    For special things like this there needs to be a set fee, low enough that it covers Councils costs but not too high so that it makes a mockery of the low value work being undertaken.

Comment

• Originally posted by ivanp View Post
      Proper ventilation resolves the issue (proper = with heat exchanger aka "heat recovery")
      If a heat exchange unit uses power most tenants will switch it off. I ripped out heated towel rails from my property as the tenants turned them off and the wet and damp towels placed on them caused them to rust. Asked why they didn't use them, couldn't afford the power. But I noticed that the kids ate potato chips and lollies and wore disposable nappies so guess you just have to get the priorities right??

Comment

• Heat exchange ventilation systems usually don't have these fancy wall controllers, they have just a basic on/off and fans speed switch, so the switch should be installed somewhere under roof, i.e. not accessible to tenants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meehole View Post
          They aren't getting the work done, that is the problem. They don't seem to have the skills or the knowledge to even get this off the ground or it would have been implemented ages ago.
          Listening to Glen Sowry talking yesterday he said that MSD are looking after things like transferring tenants to other properties. What on earth do the social workers know about the structure of a house?
          So it seems HNZ looks after the asset and MSD looks after the client and gods will be smiling in and when the day comes that the 2 ever talk?? Or are they the same Dept? Who knows?
          If they can't manage it now then they can't manage selling and re-buying either.

Comment

But I noticed that the kids ate potato chips and lollies and wore disposable nappies so guess you just have to get the priorities right??
            Yip
            Sometimes I wonder how much we stereotype with this and I always feel sorry for the one who do have their priorities right but just-can't-make-ends-meet.

Then there is the thought that if you can't afford kids you shouldn't have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              If they can't manage it now then they can't manage selling and re-buying either.
              Well they have managed to sell and then rebuy their own properties once they've been refurbished. Some Property Masters students can testify to that.

Comment

Well they have managed to sell and then rebuy their own properties once they've been refurbished. Some Property Masters students can testify to that.
                I would think that was accidental.
                If they can't create a process to upgrade them due to departmental ineptitude then I can't see them creating a process to sell, upgrade and buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  I would think that was accidental.
                  If they can't create a process to upgrade them due to departmental ineptitude then I can't see them creating a process to sell, upgrade and buy.
                  It wasn't planned. They sold them off then realised their stock was low. Bought some back. If THEY can't create processes then the system needs an overhaul (and the staff) so that they can be implemented.

Comment

It wasn't planned. They sold them off then realised their stock was low. Bought some back. If THEY can't create processes then the system needs an overhaul (and the staff) so that they can be implemented.
                    As I said - accidental.
                    If they can't create a process to upgrade the houses then they need an overhaul.
                    My point is selling them and buying them back isn't the answer.
                    May suit you (make some coin) but doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                      Why ?

All sorts of businesses now operate to a higher mandatory standard that private owners ?

EG: Ferries vs private boats
                      Airlines vs private aircraft
                      Restaurants vs private kitchens.
                      Because there are a huge number of properties that can't realistically be insulated. Many reasons - no or difficult / expensive access for example. I have multi unit places which would require removal of most of the ceilings to install insulation, and insulation would add little or nothing to livability. I would be very surprised if there is not a list of exceptions to mandatory insulation. Probably a long list.

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
                        insulation would add little or nothing to livability
                        What makes you think so?

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
                          Because there are a huge number of properties that can't realistically be insulated.
                          So ?
                          Perhaps then it would have to be sold to an owner occupier who will factor this into their offer price to the current owner.

Happens all the time in business where inventory which is no longer economically viable to upgrade to mandatory standards are sold off for private use.
                          EG: Ferries sold off to a private person.

Comment

What makes you think so?
                            Because of size, construction and chattels (eg thermal drapes) of the properties, they are easy and inexpensive to heat.

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                              So ? Perhaps then it would have to be sold to an owner occupier who will factor this into their offer price to the current owner. Happens all the time in business where inventory which is no longer economically viable to upgrade to mandatory standards are sold off for private use.
                              EG: Ferries sold off to a private person.
                              We will have to wait and see the details, but I doubt mandatory sale will be required. I may of course be proved wrong and there would be no rioting in the streets. But honestly, can you really see the current government requiring this? They seem so far to be taking a light handed approach just sufficient to close down the issue.

Could be very different when we get a change of government.

Comment

What makes you think so?
                                Multi-unit blocks mean that living spaces are insulated by the units above or next to them.
                                My blog. From personal experience.
                                http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X