Header Ad Module

Collapse

Usefullness of Property Investing Associations

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Stu Dunn
    Freshie
    • Oct 2005
    • 47

    #1

    Usefullness of Property Investing Associations

    Hello all,

    I was wondering what your thoughts were - do you find these associations helpful? Do you attend the monthly events?

    Just curious - thanks,

    Stu
    27
    Don't know, don't care
    3.70%
    1
    Been to 1-2 - No good for me
    0.00%
    0
    They are ok. Get some useful info and contacts
    44.44%
    12
    The club meetings are great - good speakers, networking and idea sharing
    37.04%
    10
    I think they are fantastic (perhaps you even speak at them)
    14.81%
    4
  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10072

    #2
    IMHO This is a very worthwhile thread Stu.

    Australia doesn't have PI Associations (to my knowledge) and yet it has more investors than NZ.

    Aussie Property Investors use Property Managers as a rule whereas NZ Property Investors have a Do-It-Yourself approach. One would therefore conclude that the NZrs would need PI Assoc.s' to debate Property Management issues?

    Marc & I use Property Managers - we are also members of a PI Assoc. - maybe it's a little bit like insurance....you don't know when you'll need it!

    Cheers,

    Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

    Comment

    • RonHoyFong
      Addicted
      • Feb 2005
      • 794

      #3
      I love learning to go further with investing, and as well love sharing what I know.

      "After all who teaches the Teacher!"

      Will be speaking again in Hamiton x 2, Tauranga, Wanganui, Christchurch x 2, and Auckland over the next 6 week then on and off throughout the year.

      Come and discuss the latest news and events of N.Z.'s Property Investor Associations.


      Cheers Ron
      Last edited by muppet; 21-01-2006, 09:22 AM.

      Comment

      • Lynda
        Opinionated
        • Sep 2004
        • 154

        #4
        Hi, there, Stu,

        I belong to the Canterbury Prop Inv Assn, and find it well worth the membership fee.

        It provides motivation, networking, technical help, inexpensive documents, and free membership of Baycorp. Also, the monthly forums are often fascinating, and always friendly. They are a good place to meet property professionals who are also property investors (ie, mortgage brokers, accountants, lawyers, RE agents, Property managers). And, they are a great place to ask around if you need a good tradesman.

        I highly recommend it.

        Cheers,
        Lynda.

        Comment

        • Stu Dunn
          Freshie
          • Oct 2005
          • 47

          #5
          Thanks - it is great to get different people's experience of these things. Interesting that currently 50% of the people taking the poll think they are "ok".

          From my experience, there is a fine line between a meeting of the same people at the same place saying the same things, patting each other on the back and asking "So, how many do you have now?" vs. the helpful resourceful mentor-ish support environment where you can also learn something new.

          I also think it would be extremely difficult to run a club, with the responsibility of finding speakers and relevant topics each month. Interesting ....
          Thanks.

          Comment

          • Glenn
            Fanatical
            • Jun 2005
            • 3861

            #6
            Originally posted by Stu Dunn
            , patting each other on the back and asking "So, how many do you have now?"
            the last thing PIA's should be doing is turning into some sort of social club. I have observed some "men hunting" females showing their ugly faces at meetings over the years but normally I try to have a strickly business only agenda.

            If you want to socialise for goodness sake go and join a sports or community club. PIA's need to be focused on what we do.
            by saying this I do not mean members are in any way not friendly to each other and obviously one meets similar minded investors along the way.
            You just need a balance in your lives though.

            As for it all being too difficult to organise a meeting or a speaker. Well my goodness. If you want it all easy only eat at McDonalds. Do not buy any property that is a challenge. Leave all that hard stuff for those of us that still have a bit of go left in us.
            Really what is the world comming to.

            Go on, pull the sheet down in the morning and have a life.
            Last edited by Marcus; 14-03-2006, 10:25 AM.

            Comment

            • drelly
              Fanatical
              • Jan 2004
              • 5838

              #7
              I think the associations are as valuable as we make them. Some (perhaps even most) people turn up expecting to be spoon-fed information that is useful to them. The funny thing is that few ever make the effort to let the committee know exactly what it is they want even when they're being asked. The people that I talk to who have left the associations seem to have expected "more help" ie; their tenancies turned sour and then they wanted someone else to sort it out for them. Clearly, they weren't listing to the advice they were getting at the meetings!

              cheers,
              Dave.
              Last edited by drelly; 26-01-2006, 07:17 AM.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

              Comment

              • janesco
                Opinionated
                • May 2004
                • 241

                #8
                Originally posted by Stu Dunn
                I also think it would be extremely difficult to run a club, with the responsibility of finding speakers and relevant topics each month. Interesting ....
                Thanks.
                Hmmm

                I think I can talk on this subject with some authority.

                Last year two people met on this website and determined that Wanganui needed a PIA. There have been some interesting times already. The fear factor at the beginning of "will anybody come".

                The elation of finding somebody actually came (phew)

                The assistance from so many other associations with what probably looked like simple things to them but we had no idea. Dark room wearing a bllind fold syndrome.

                Conflicting personalities on committees. The loss of valuable input when people didn't get on and subsequently withdrew from the committee. No different to any other committee really. But it is still a shame when this happens.

                As for speakers.... I can tell you that I have approached five people that I consider high profile people in the property investing world. Only one person was perhaps a little outside (read a lot) of our budget.

                Even then the "one" advised me to get in touch in April to revisit the issue. I have my fingers crossed that we can achieve something together.

                To be fair everyone of them should have been outside our budget but their generosity has made it possible. I won't mention names. All of them are active participants on this website and I value their input greatly. All I did was ask. I am not a particularly articulate person nor am I particularly persuasive.

                These speakers are keen Investors who are happy to share their time and knowledge with others.

                Is it difficult? Yes and no.
                Is it fun? Yes and no.

                It is actually quite nerve wrecking asking people you admire and respect, and that you have never met, to give up their time to leave their families and travel to a distant part of the galaxy. Well we are talking about wanganui.....

                We in Wanganui have come a long way in a short time. What we are trying to supply to our members is probably no different to any other association. A place where investors and potential investors can get together and share ideas thoughts strategies. A place where the newbies can get advice or suggestions from old hands.

                One of the things I love about property talk is that they are already achieving a lot of what I would like to see achieved in Wanganui... Well done team.

                Hopefully we, in Wanganui, are not and will not become a dating service.

                Though that blonde in the corner.....hmmm
                Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

                Manawatu Property Investors' Association

                Comment

                • cube
                  Thinking outside the square.
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 5076

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Stu Dunn
                  Interesting that currently 50% of the people taking the poll think they are "ok".
                  Put positive spin on it "90% of investors think associations 'are great and provide useful info and contacts' "

                  cube
                  DFTBA

                  Comment

                  • Stu Dunn
                    Freshie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 47

                    #10
                    Thanks again everyone, it is great to hear everyone's opinions.

                    Stu

                    Comment

                    • Marcus
                      Fanatical
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 1453

                      #11
                      Originally posted by cube
                      Put positive spin on it "90% of investors think associations 'are great and provide useful info and contacts' "

                      cube
                      Hey Cube. I found the 50% thinking its OK comment somewhat amusing too.

                      As a committee member here in Tauranga, we regularly meet up to review our meetings, memberships, and what may better serve our group as a whole. We all do this on our own time with the aim of providing our members with value and in the hope that they tell their friends that they are involved in an association that acts for the betterment of ALL property investors. I would like to think that any individual interested in property investment as a wealth vehicle would benefit from being a part of any of NZPIFs associations.

                      Regards,
                      Marcus.

                      Comment

                      Working...