Is APIA really independent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is APIA really independent?

Hi. Having seen quite a bit of NZ Wealth Mentors at APIA lately, i.e. the President of APIA flogging his wares to a captive market - and using APIA membership as a marketing tool for his company,

I am beginning to wonder if APIA is worth the money and if its really independent

I know I am not alone in this thought as several other people I spoke to over the weekend are asking the same question

your thoughts please?

Who every said APIA was independent?

After years of APIA being run out of purely the self interest of the members at the top of it's hierarchy they seemed to decide to appoint Ashley Church a couple of years ago as some sort of business manager.
    He commercialized some parts of the the association to create a revenue stream and was dismissed for his trouble.

Next it was run via a mortgage broker, and now by a mentoring coach, so what do you expect?

It's very obvious who's using the APIA and for what gain when you consider not only who gets invited to speak and "When" but also who does not warrant and invitation to speak.

Comment

It is funny how APIA rallied against Richmastery having anything to do with APIA for so many years and now one of Jones's employees is running the joint.

Even more incredible is he is getting the old band back together by getting most of the Richmastery coach's from round the country back under his umbrella.

Which must make you wonder if David Whitburn is the new Phil Jones?

Comment

I understand that David pays the market rate for the advertising though APIA. I would be interested to know of anyone company being denied the right to advertise (and on the same terms as him).

I also beleive David worked for Trass, not Richmastery, though I do beleive he purchased a Blue Peak franchise so technically was assocaited with Richmastery.

Q - other than the advertising (which I am sure you can all ignore just like I do) do you have issues with the quality of the APIA meetings and discounts.

(Playing devils advocate but I am a happy APIA member)

Comment

David Whitburn and Phil Jones where business partners in a minor dwelling business...I can not remember the name of it but I recall seeing David at the Richmastery events - he was very much a RM person as I recall.

No doubt the 'constitution' or equivalent has some code of conduct component that covers Board Members securing speakers and using the bums of seats to flog their own wares. Maybe it's okay if it's all disclosed in the marketing of the 'speaker' e.g. John Smith is speaking and our board member will be sharing his/her services/products with you too.

It's not on IMHO - getting a 'motivational' speaker along and charging people to attend then surreptitiously flog services/products to a revved up audience....unless of course all $$ go back to APIA - not into the Board Member's own pocket!

Cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Welcome to PropertyTalk Peter Tach....(is that your real name?).

Haven't you set up your own forums recently and then suggested on Facebook that we (PropertyTalk.com) only upgraded because your forums came on the scene?

I can confirm I didn't know your forums existed - good luck with them.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

Thanks Donna,

My mistake It must have been a coincidence that the forum was upgraded 10 days after a new forum went live.

Hey while I have you I was wondering if you could tell me why I can't access my Signature settings?

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by PeterTach View Post
                Thanks Donna,

My mistake It must have been a coincidence that the forum was upgraded 10 days after a new forum went live.

Hey while I have you I was wondering if you could tell me why I can't access my Signature settings?

Cheers

Peter

Umm I like you - no hiding the reason you're here - Extreme newbies can not access the signature area.

.... umm and it takes way longer than 10 days to plan and upgrade a site our size Peter.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

Imitation is the sincesrest form of flattery?

The site is a dead clone of what you have here :-O except without the members.

MBT
                  Last edited by MarkButThis; 22-04-2011, 09:53 AM.
                  Monkey see, monkey do

Comment

Originally posted by halfempty View Post
                    Who every said APIA was independent?

After years of APIA being run out of purely the self interest of the members at the top of it's hierarchy they seemed to decide to appoint Ashley Church a couple of years ago as some sort of business manager.
                    He commercialized some parts of the the association to create a revenue stream and was dismissed for his trouble.
                    Having been President of APIA for 8 years, putting APIA and the interests of our industry before my own businesses, on what basis do you make your claim that I acted out of self interest?

Who are you anyway? I thought you had to state your name if making accusations against people on the forum.

Andrew King
                    Andrew King,
                    Too many tenants in your property? Hire a sleepout from Cabin King and increase the rent
                    NZ Property Investors' Federation

Comment

Cheap shots from behind a mask — as usual.

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                      Having been President of APIA for 8 years, putting APIA and the interests of our industry before my own businesses, on what basis do you make your claim that I acted out of self interest?

Who are you anyway? I thought you had to state your name if making accusations against people on the forum.
                      I completely agree with Andrew on both points.
                      It's proved pretty easy for frustrated spruikers, their sockpuppets and amanuenses to make this kind of anonymous and 100% fact-free assertion about the APIA volunteers here on PropertyTalk.

'Put up or shut up', seems an apt response to your inaccurate and unsubstantiated smear, anonymous halfempty (whoever you are).

If you're going to make 'negative' comments, your name is required ... well, that's how I read the PT 'rules'. Mods?

- P
                      Peter Aranyi
                      Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

If you look at the AKL, Chch, Dunedin Rotorua etc etc PIAs ALL Presidents have some interest in Property Investment or PI related business in Directly or not.

So what... ? this thread is nonsense and just trying to full things up. IMHO
                        New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
                        FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
                        CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

I confirm that NZ Wealth Mentor had paid to be a sponsor of APIA at standard member rates, with absolutely no special privileges attached. We are constantly looking for new sponsors so please contact the APIA office on (09) 360 2376 or [email protected] if you are interested in sponsoring the association. At the last meeting where I spoke as a sponsor, for professional reasons I got the APIA Vice President to run it. Since leading APIA in June 2010 we have had two other leading property educators (Ron Hoy Fong and Kieran Trass) speak to the association.

Since all associations are not-for-profit, and the fact it is not as easy for those in fulltime jobs to give the required time input for their associations, there are a lot of people on executive committees/boards that have property investment related businesses in local property investor associations all around the country. These include a lot of hard-working people that act for the betterment of all property investors. People with property related businesses will like property and want to assist their local communities. Whether they are mortgage brokers, bankers, property managers, property finders, lawyers, accountants, plumbers, electricians, property educators, architects, construction company owners or butchers, bakers or candlestick makers it doesn't matter. The quality of their voluntary service to their members does. Fortunately these are all elected positions and every member can vote.

Finally on this thread I will add some support for my friend Andrew King, who I have observed for more than 7 years working tirelessly for APIA and the NZPIF, at many times to the detriment of his family and own businesses in terms of time, and effort that he puts in. He is a huge asset to property investment associations and it is great to have him as NZPIF President to continue to build on Martin Evans fine work. Being APIA President is not just a casual 4 hour/week role either! We have made submissions and worked on crucial policies at central government and local government level, and processed countless media enquiries.

Surely the forum rules of stating your name when making an attack should be adhered to?

Comment

Working...
                          X