A Question for the PI Associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for the PI Associations

Please do not take this question the wrong way - it is just something I have been wondering for a wee while and it is my ignorance to the operations of an Association that provokes my need to learn more.

Why do members pay to hear a fellow member speak at an Association meeting? Would this not be covered by the fees? I fully understand why a member may need to pay to hear a non-member speak.

I am sure there is an obvious answer - just maybe there are others here that are also wondering the same thing.

Cheers,

Donna
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

At WPIA (Waikato) as long as I can remember I have never had to pay. Notable speakers - Dean leftus, Doreen (GBI)..

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
      Please do not take this question the wrong way - it is just something I have been wondering for a wee while and it is my ignorance to the operations of an Association that provokes my need to learn more.

Why do members pay to hear a fellow member speak at an Association meeting? Would this not be covered by the fees? I fully understand why a member may need to pay to hear a non-member speak.

I am sure there is an obvious answer - just maybe there are others here that are also wondering the same thing.

Cheers,

Donna
      No need to be so politely hestitant, Donna.

There is no reason other than a lack of quality management skills.

This may result in the erroneous assumption that speakers need to be paid in the first place and that people should automatically have to pay to hear those speakers.

Or, just poor quality money handling skills. You would be surprised or even shocked to learn just how incompetant some PIA's are, or any other type of association or club come to that. And probably I would not assume that APIA is the worst culprit here either. CD?

A can of worms is waiting here to be opened. Are you holding the tin opener Donna?

xris

Comment

I don't think we need to be assuming the worst here - it could as simple as a different venue hired due to the popularity of the speaker'.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

I think most Associations around NZ operate the same way for their monthly keynote meetings ie entire cost of evening including speaker and food/refreshments is included in the annual membership fee. At APIA's October monthly meeting a panel of members spoke to attendees about their investing strategies, for the September meeting Don Brash and John Banks were presenters. Again, there is no cost to members for the monthly keynote meetings - this is how it has been at APIA since I joined in 1998.

In the last few years, at the request of members, APIA has developed a number of local and special interest group meetings - these are provided in addition to the monthly keynote meetings. There are now eight local groups (including the newly formed Frankton area group) and these meet once a month and attract anything between 20 and 200 members per meeting. Up until recently, the APIA local group Conveners have organised all meetings, speakers and venue requirements. Venues are separate from the main keynote meetings and are typically in the locality of the special interest group ie Henderson (for Western Local Group) and Howick (for Eastern Local Group). To cover venue hire costs and refreshments, Conveners have been charging members $5 entry - there is no charge for speakers whether they be Dean Letfus, Ron Hoy Fong, Garth Melville etc. In the last month APIA has agreed to pick up the tab for the 8 x monthly venue costs, any entry costs now will be for refreshments/food only.

In the last couple of years APIA has also been running a seminar programme of four one day events per year, a conference venue/catering service was hired in Mt Wellington for this purpose. It has always been made clear to members at monthly meetings/AGM that the one day seminar costs were not included in membership levies. From memory, an ealy bird ticket purchase was always $295 (single) & $395 (couple) - so if you attend (single)you get morning/afternoon tea, lunch, speakers and workbook for $295.

So, members have a choice whether they hear a keynote speaker present at a monthly meeting (inc in membership levy) or at a monthly local group event (8 meetings per month, inc in membership levy plus $5 charge/meeting) or as part of a one day seminar with 6 - 8 other speakers (yes, an investment $ is required).

Comment

Thanks a lot Propoholic - your explanation has provided a lot of insight into the various groups APIA run - it's a big group and would take a lot of organisation. Well done.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

Hi Donna,
              What a very interesting question you ask. At the Wellington PIA we have not charged members to listen to other members do presentations or to hear outside speakers. All the costs of obtaining speakers is covered in our membership fee. Those people who are not members do pay an admission fee. We don't even load a fee onto members for the supper after the meeting, this is also covered in the membership fee. Ocassionaly we will run half day workshops where we do charge a $20.00 fee, this is to cover the costs hall hirage and afternoon tea. All presenters, members and non members give their time freely.
              Being a PIA which has been in existence since 1973 we have a wealth of membership knowledge that we use to help the new investor along the PI journey.
              Property Management Solutions

Comment

And as for Nelson....
                Everything has to be different when located in an independent republic.
                We have found it is easier (like less labour) and more profitable to run all meetings free. Being a natural marketer like everyone involved in property should be, it is far better to collect an annual membership fee than a silly low door fee. We get most of our new members from the new attendees at the meetings.
                Of course if the PIA's operate like most landlords then we have figured out how to keep our costs down and profits up for everyones benefit.
                Not withstanding that principle I have found that many attendees will happily pay a large entry fee if they perceive that the speaker is worth the cost. In fact many attendees will decide in advance how good the speaker is based on the entrance fee.
                The down side of this sort of marketing (scam) is that it is hard to build on these brown cow browser attendees. They are always looking for another high buzz at the next meeting. Far better for them to join their local high rollers charismatic church.

Comment

Working...
                X