Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Consents Figures

Question:
    Does anyone know where I can get building consent stats brocken down for each city.
    There have recently been some news releases from Stats NZ but they only seem to have them for the whole of the country.
    Glenn

may be a long shot but Quotable Value NZ may be able to assist you or if not they may know which org can.

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi Glenn,

LTNS!

Sorry I cannot help you with the stats you require. I however have been meaning to get a hold of you re. your tenancy agreement D/L you have in the members corner.

Would you mind terribly if I copy and butcher one to suit my needs?

Cheers,
      Marcus.

Comment

Hi Marcus and anyone else.
        You are all welcome to use any stuff I put out as best you see fit.
        If you are going to copy any article into a publication of your own then all I ask is you do me the courtesy of giving me credits at the bottom. “From Glenn Private Property Manager and Investor Nelson” or something along that line.
        As I see it the more informed that landlords are of the law and the processes of the RTA then the better it is for the lot of us.
        It never ceases to amaze me how different the market and the tenancy processes are from one part of the country to the other. All the District Courts act differently in processing Distress Warrants, Order for Examinations, and Arrest Warrants.
        Last week I had to deal with a relief Tenancy Officer who interpreted Section 56 of the act as if you must be 21 days in arrears at the time of application. This is in fact section 55 of the act. Yes despite his long and expensive training he was wrong,
        Then after the tenant and I agreed on a solution to the problem he wrote up a completely different mediators report. The mediation then became a free for all, tenant and landlord against the Tenancy Services mediator. The mediator’s answer to all this was “this is the way we do it in Palmerston North” I ask you.
        So folks demand your rights. The law is supposed to be the same for everyone.

Comment

February housing consents at 30-year high

The latest housing consents figures for February were at their highest level for this month in 30 years, belying expectations the housing market is cooling.

The figures show 2,529 consents for new dwellings worth $478.3 million were issued in February, a 0.7% increase from January in seasonally adjusted terms. This was on top of the 12.1% (revised upwards from 11.1%) increase in January.

The February consents were 40.7% higher than the 1,797 consents worth $330.4 million issued in February last year.

Consents for the year ended February were up 11% to 30,923, the highest number recorded for a year ended February since 1976.

Deutsche Bank senior economist Darren Gibbs says the February figures are much stronger than expected. "A continued high level of apartment consents was the main surprise. Excluding apartments, we estimate that ‘single-unit’ dwellings recorded a 2.5% month-on-month decline."

There were 559 new apartments worth $90 million approved in February, up from 471 worth $48.7 million in January and 54 worth $5 million in February last year.

Excluding apartments, there were 1,970 consents in February, up from the 1,914 in January but down on the 2,116 approved in December last year.

Of the 16 regions Statistics New Zealand measures, consents were up in 11 compared with February last year and Auckland accounted for 43% of the total.

Kate Skinner, an economist at ASB Bank says the consents figures, on top of the latest National Bank survey which shows a net 42.2% of businesses expect general business conditions to deteriorate over the next 12 months, highlight the dilemma the Reserve Bank faces.

She notes that February is typically one of the quietest months for building consents.

"The building industry, a driver of growth and inflation at present, is not showing much evidence of slowing."

News Source->GoodReturns
          Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Comment

New dwelling consents fall 5.5%

The number of new dwelling consents authorised fell for the third month in a row in April, according to official data.

Statistics New Zealand reported that a seasonally adjusted 2,569 new dwellings were authorised in April, down 5.5% from March.

On an annual basis 31,677 new dwelling unit consents were issued, up 12% on the previous April year, and the highest for an April year since 1976, SNZ said.

The monthly total compared with a revised 2,720 consents issued in the March month, which was down a revised 7.3% on the previous month.

SNZ removes seasonal variations, but the series remains volatile partly because of a fluctuation in the number of consents issued for new apartments.

Before excluding seasonal variations, 2,486 consents were issued for the month, down 18% on March, SNZ said.

Consents were issued for 588 new apartment units, compared with 548 in March.

On a trend basis, the number of new dwelling units rose between April 2003 and January 2004, but SNZ said it was too early to say whether a decline in the past three months marked a turning point.

However it said the trend series for new dwellings excluding apartments had been decreasing since November 2003.

Twelve of the 16 regions recorded more new dwelling units consents in April compared with the same month a year ago, with the Auckland region having the largest increase, followed by Canterbury and Northland.

Auckland accounted for 39% of the new dwelling units in April, SNZ said.

The total value of consents issued for all residential buildings, including alterations and additions, was $520 million.

The value of consents for non-residential buildings for the month was $239 million, compared with $322 million in the previous month.

The total annual value of consents for all buildings in the year ended April was $9.73 billion, up 19% on the previous year.

News Source->
            Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Comment

Building consents still on the rise

Statistics NZ has just released its latest figure on building consents (June). It shows the supply (or at least the intention to build) is still increasing tremendously even though we know the demand is decreasing.

Look at the first 6 months of building consents in 2003 and 2004 and you can see the construction boom is still going on. Are we heading for a big drop in house prices?

2003 Jan Feb Mar Apr May June
              1,995 1,797 2,537 2,232 2,485 2,389

2004 Jan Feb Mar Apr May June
              2,385 2,529 3,037 2,543 2,544 3,447

For details, see http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/exte...ation+Releases

Comment

Building & Housing Consents Figures

The figures for July are out. The total number of new residential consents drops to 2347 from 3447 in June, but still remains historically high. Details here

Comment

Just be aware (whilst the drop in consents may look alarming) that in Auckland in June there was an upsurge in the number of consents issued as people rushed to get consents (myself included!) prior to new council contributions for developments coming into play. In my case I saved over $8,000 by getting consent in June compared to what it would have cost if my consent was issued from 1st July.
                  Kieran Trass

Comment

The figure for August continues the downward trend, at 2,296.

Comment

September is 2,291, almost no drop from August but 24% drop from Sep, 2003.

Comment

October is 2,578, 13% increase over September this year, or slightly over the 2,508 of Oct, 2003. The interesting thing is a sharp increase in the number of consents for apartment, from 295 in Sep to 708 in Oct. It looks like the building boom is still going on.

Comment

November is 2,675, slightly more than October (which has been revised to 2,619 instead of 257, and consents for apartment remain high at 637. Looks like the party is not over yet.
                          Details Here

Comment

December is 2,418, 10% less than October figure but still similar to 2498 in Dec, 2003 figure. So the figure is still historically high.

On the apartment side, 599 represents a 6% drop from Nov figure but 57% more than 382 in Dec, 2003. Looks like the apartment supply boom is not over yet.

Comment

Jan, 2005 figure is 1793, 36% drop from Dec, 2004 and 25% drop from Jan, 2004.

On the apartment side, 237 represents a 60% drop from Dec, 2004 and 50% drop from Jan, 2004.

It looks like the building boom is over.

Statistics NZ revised figures up: 1,898 total dwellings and 272 apartments

Comment

Working...
                              X