Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you have to pay back all the rent, if the house is mouldy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
    The issue is that such a small number of landlords are actually members of the Property Investment associations.

Ross
    There are around 3000 - 3500 members of associations.
    There are approx 274,000 residential landlords in NZ.

Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
      There are around 3000 - 3500 members of associations.
      There are approx 274,000 residential landlords in NZ.

Go figure.
      if you were to truely act on behalf of residential LL's with any real benefit to the majority of them your membership would no doubt increase. I see low membership levels as a result of low relevance to the majority.

do you think you have relevance to the majority?

When I look at your events, your advertising material etc I feel the association is where you go if you're interested in learning about PI before you invest. The speakers are often 'spruikers' who will tell you how you can make a fortune out of property - so this devalues the independence of authority role it should play.

should you start to do things that are highly visible and relevant to the majority of LL's like organize a LL strike i suggested above i.e. organize and lead a resistance to this clearly biased situation we're facing with that the Labor government hellbent on driving hard then your relevance to the majority of LL's could increase

Comment

To which I would add that the NZPIF often (in the media) appears to be in a reactive situation.

That aside, take the present arrant stupidity.

Does the NZPIF have a lobbyist who's working hard to 'educate' the present gummint about certain realities? The sort which are oft-discussed here, on PT?

Of the threesome, only NZ First is likely to listen to the concerns of private enterprise and private residential investors and / or listen to the alternatives to communist-style housing proclivities.

Are the NZ First MPs being lobbied?

If not, why not?

Comment

Probably because only one of them has any influence and he didn't even win his seat and has been in hiding since his sham negotiations

Comment

That's irrelevant: no vote (of the sort we're talking about, here) will get through without NZ First support.

Comment

If my properties are mouldy because of the tenants, and I have to pay back the rent, will the banks pay me back the mortgage paid?

Haven't posted for ages, been lurking though.

Never bothered joining an association before investing because nothing stuck out as being value for money. No amount of googling showed a 'voice' for LL's.

Just my .05 cents.
              Last edited by Perry; 26-11-2017, 08:23 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill (No 2) now available to read on the legislation web site.

A pdf copy can be downloaded from there, too.

Comment

I think their are 2 main reasons that many landlords don't join NZPIF, and therefore why NZPIF has only a small voice (maybe has 5% of landlords).

1) 80% of landlords only own 1 rental - often these landlords don't care that much!

2) property investors are 'tight' and don't like to spend money.

NZPIF does employ a Lobbyist, and they are constantly talking to government. But with only so many members what can they really do?

Ross
                  Book a free chat here
                  Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsvee View Post
                    If my properties are mouldy because of the tenants, and I have to pay back the rent, will the banks pay me back the mortgage paid?
                    I'm sure if you have a revolving credit facility on your mortgage then they might consider it?

Comment

NZPIF does employ a Lobbyist, and they are constantly talking to government. But with only so many members what can they really do?
                      Oh? Do tell more.

Whoever it is obviously does not work at having a noticeable media profile.

Comment

I think their are 2 main reasons that many landlords don't join NZPIF, and therefore why NZPIF has only a small voice (maybe has 5% of landlords).

1) 80% of landlords only own 1 rental - often these landlords don't care that much!

2) property investors are 'tight' and don't like to spend money.

Ross
                        your bias on this issue is the reason for the small scale. The reality is that if there was value to be had from what was on offer you might find your membership increase.

Comment

I tend to agree with point #1. If you own 1 property and are paying it off for retirement or are just an accidental landlord, there's no real incentive to join the NZPIF, because the ROI would only be around avoiding mistakes. Also most people simply don't invest in their education so even having the knowledge presented on a plate won't make a difference.

I'd join, I like talking about property and when (you're trying to be) on a growth path one single piece of knowledge is immensely valuable and can save a lot of headaches... such as just how much outside earthworks, retaining and driveways can run you :-P You never know where that nugget is going to come from so I think having a big network means you can more easily meet with people who have already done what you are trying to do.

Each to their own, there is no right or wrong way to do things.
                          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                            your bias on this issue is the reason for the small scale. The reality is that if there was value to be had from what was on offer you might find your membership increase.
                            I agree with the cost/benefit assessment you make, however . . .

I'm less sure of the accusation that you have levelled at Ross.

While Ross may well have a bias of some sort, why do you say it is in favour of the NZPIF?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                              I agree with the cost/benefit assessment you make, however . . .

I'm less sure of the accusation that you have levelled at Ross.

While Ross may well have a bias of some sort, why do you say it is in favour of the NZPIF?
                              the bias i refer to is his point no. 2 - this is simply garbage. There is no data to support this argument.

Property investors, like most people, have money to spend where they see value. Where they don't see value they won't pay for an item or service.

One option is it to run around calling the people you want to attract 'tight' another might be to ask them what value looks like and offer that to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                                I tend to agree with point #1. If you own 1 property and are paying it off for retirement or are just an accidental landlord, there's no real incentive to join the NZPIF, because the ROI would only be around avoiding mistakes.
                                If the organisation could show LL who only own 1 property how they might benefit from membership they even they might join. I'm very active investor and I can't honestly say what i might get out of the membership other than a discount that isn't quite as good as the one i already get at the hardware store and a subscription to a magazine.

Originally posted by Nick G View Post

I'd join, I like talking about property and when (you're trying to be) on a growth path one single piece of knowledge is immensely valuable and can save a lot of headaches... such as just how much outside earthworks, retaining and driveways can run you :-P You never know where that nugget is going to come from so I think having a big network means you can more easily meet with people who have already done what you are trying to do.
                                More likely to get that info on a site like this and the info is available when you need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X