Rent increase letter challenged by tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good tenants know they are worth a discount

and eventually track down a good LL who looks after the place and them, by charging less than the max possible rent

other tenants rotate quickly through the other properties with the other LLs
    Last edited by eri; 19-06-2017, 07:21 PM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Comedy quote of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post

and eventually track down a good LL who looks after the place and them, by charging less than the max possible rent

other tenants rotate quickly through the other properties with the other LLs
        Not sure I agree with that.
        To be honest some of the worst tenants I have seen have had seriously discounted rent.
        Just go look over the fence at any Housing NZ property.

Comment

ah well

perhaps am just a soft touch

for people who look after my stuff

ymmv

have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
            perhaps am just a soft touch for people who look after my stuff
            Part of the problem with that perspective is that by the time you find out that your stuff is not being looked after, it's too late to fix.

Comment

Raise it I'd say.

By the way, perhaps the increase should have been done when the insulation was agreed to? Like you should have said "I'll insulate it but I want another $30 per week."
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

If they move out without waiting for you to get another tenant, what is your resolve in chasing them?

General question - what is people's experience of the TT enforcing fixed terms when a tenant tries to do a runner?

Were the tenants fully aware of the rent increase clause? For a one year tenancy, I would have thought it would be unusual and they thought that fixed term meant fixed rent as well, hence the resistance?

If they knew and understood (and it is documented) that the property was being let at below market rent whist insulation and other matters were resolved, then carry on, otherwise, postpone the increase until the 12 months are up making it clear that it will apply 'if you decide to renew'.
                DFTBA

Comment

Hi All,

Good tenants are very hard to find who pays rent on time, pay their bills on time look after the property like their own. Even I have seen tenant who add value to the rental property without asking any favors.

I am disappointed from some comments about charity and social welfare; however, much relived on the other hand where landlords of multi rental properties also acknowledged to take rent below market value and recognize the good tenants.

If you decide to take rent below market value than there was a specific reason and you know very well at the start of tenancy agreement about your next move.With all due respect I would suggest you be very honest and very clear at the start of contract and express your intention at the beginning that you will increase rent after every six months.

And yes Vegemite if any of your future tenants contaminate your property you will forget this $30 increase forever.

Comment

"Good tenants are very hard to find"
                    Where are all you people holding rentals? Good tenants are easy to find in Auckland unless you're in slummy areas. EASY!

Comment

what's your average length of tenancy Bob?
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Currently we have 2 new acquisitions and 2 recent renos so 4 are fairly new. But our average is 4 to 5 years. In Rotorua now that's a different story but Auckland they seem to stay forever. We have 1 at 7 years. He even moved houses to stay with us when we sold a property

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                          Currently we have 2 new acquisitions and 2 recent renos so 4 are fairly new. But our average is 4 to 5 years. In Rotorua now that's a different story but Auckland they seem to stay forever. We have 1 at 7 years. He even moved houses to stay with us when we sold a property
                          Apart from one I have long term tenants in Rotorua. The one was short term and flooded my house over xmas. Just got it back yesterday.
                          Others are four-5 -six years. and we keep our rents keeping on.

Comment

That's cool Viking. I have units in Ngongotaha, a couple have been there years but we typically have one turning over it seems constantly :-)

Comment

That one near the pub?
                              Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Well there's 4 or 5 blocks near the pub. We are one of the ones over the road not on the same side.

Comment

Working...
                                X