Header Ad Module

Collapse

Investment in Apartments given on long lease to Rydges Hotel/Quest/UAW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jamesnz
    Opinionated
    • Jul 2016
    • 187

    #1

    Investment in Apartments given on long lease to Rydges Hotel/Quest/UAW

    Hi there

    I have about 150K surplus
    Last edited by jamesnz; 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM.
  • jamesnz
    Opinionated
    • Jul 2016
    • 187

    #2
    Hi there

    some bug in my lpad
    posted before I could complete the thread
    Anyways
    I was thinking of investing in apartments which are given on long lease to Quest, Rydges Hotel and UAW etc. In Wellington
    There are several such listings always available on Trademe

    My aim is to get a better return on my current corpus of 150k ,and further yearly savings of 30k per year

    So if I invest about 250to 275K I can become debt free in 5 years

    The agents tell me that I will get a nett return after expenses of body Corp rates and management fees of 7-8%

    Is any member owning any such Properties and are there any hidden expenses I should be aware of ?
    Is the return sustainable over a long period ?

    Will you advise a first time buyer to invest in it ?

    Thanks for advising

    P.S. I have made another thread also by mistake I think the only the moderators can delete it.
    Last edited by jamesnz; 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM.

    Comment

    • eri
      Fanatical
      • Sep 2008
      • 7621

      #3
      how long is the lease?

      quest have some seriously long leases which limit your ability to exit

      as for the return, it should all be easily calculated by looking at the lease and the last year's returns

      i don't know about wellington but for the last 8? years in auckland hotel pool apartments haven't returned esp. well for owners

      but that's sort of changed this year as there is a serious shortage of hotel space and leases can be renegotiated





      but it all depends then on what the lease looks like

      if the return in 7%

      why is the current owner selling?
      Last edited by eri; 03-09-2016, 09:39 PM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

      Comment

      • Beano
        Fanatical
        • Mar 2015
        • 1001

        #4
        Originally posted by eri View Post
        how long is the lease?

        quest have some seriously long leases which limit your ability to exit

        as for the return, it should all be easily calculated by looking at the lease and the last year's returns

        i don't know about wellington but for the last 8? years in auckland hotel pool apartments haven't returned esp. well for owners

        but that's sort of changed this year as there is a serious shortage of hotel space and leases can be renegotiated





        but it all depends then on what the lease looks like

        if the return in 7%

        why is the current owner selling?
        The hotel is generally not interested if the yield is 6.5pc to 7pc as their funds invested in the hotels are a lot more
        Yes i have read the same thing the hotel trade is booming and there is a large shortage of rooms

        Comment

        • Nick G
          Fanatical
          • Jul 2014
          • 2544

          #5
          It seems like an investment with very little control - you're dependent on the ongoing competitive advantage of the hotel operator. Also if their fees (costs) went up separate to rents your numbers could quickly look skewed. If you're choosing between this and a house I'd go for a house.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

          Comment

          • jamesnz
            Opinionated
            • Jul 2016
            • 187

            #6
            Originally posted by Nick G View Post
            It seems like an investment with very little control - you're dependent on the ongoing competitive advantage of the hotel operator. Also if their fees (costs) went up separate to rents your numbers could quickly look skewed. If you're choosing between this and a house I'd go for a house.
            Hi Nick

            As my budget is limited to 250K to 275K I will not get any good house near the city
            (I want to take a fixed 5 year loan only to the extent I can pay off in the period)
            I will have to go to the lower demand areas of Wellington, which I was trying to avoid.
            Moreover, I was thinking that it would be easier to sell these types of properties rather then low end houses.
            But I now realise that at the end of 5 years when I am ready to offload this house, if the interest rates are any where near 7%, no one will touch this apartment, as it will make no sense for them to invest.
            The returns are capped whereas the interest rate the investor has to pay is variable.
            So if I have to sell I will have to take a massive loss to make the apartment give 2-3% more return then what the banks are charging.

            Will rethink over the entire scheme

            Thanks for advising

            Comment

            • Don't believe the Hype
              Fanatical
              • Apr 2016
              • 2159

              #7
              Originally posted by jamesnz View Post
              Hi Nick

              As my budget is limited to 250K to 275K I will not get any good house near the city
              (I want to take a fixed 5 year loan only to the extent I can pay off in the period)
              I will have to go to the lower demand areas of Wellington, which I was trying to avoid.
              Moreover, I was thinking that it would be easier to sell these types of properties rather then low end houses.
              But I now realise that at the end of 5 years when I am ready to offload this house, if the interest rates are any where near 7%, no one will touch this apartment, as it will make no sense for them to invest.
              The returns are capped whereas the interest rate the investor has to pay is variable.
              So if I have to sell I will have to take a massive loss to make the apartment give 2-3% more return then what the banks are charging.

              Will rethink over the entire scheme

              Thanks for advising
              may be time to pay for some advice?

              Comment

              • wodger
                Opinionated
                • May 2009
                • 122

                #8
                If it's Rydges in Wellington I would do some research on this topic:
                Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald


                This hotel used to be the Holiday Inn in Wellington and it was in the papers because it wasn't paying the guaranteed rent to investors. This wasn't Holiday Inn's fault apparently, they were busy and paying whatever they were meant to, to the building owners. I can't say who, but my source for that info is good. But the money wasn't making it to investors. So, the name might have changed, but if it's still the same owners or a similar mix of shifty b*stards then I would not put money there.

                Comment

                • Nick G
                  Fanatical
                  • Jul 2014
                  • 2544

                  #9
                  My brother is about to go unco on his first property in one of these "less demand" areas, where demand is a lot less less than it used to be. By the time he's cleaned it up and renovated etc it'll make 7.5% GY with good equity locked into 5 years lending at under 5%. Just buy something in an area that is improving, make it nice and let the market do the rest. You'll be fine. In the meantime you're losing maybe $5-7K to the market each month you sit on your hands.
                  Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

                  Comment

                  • brokerman
                    Addicted
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 947

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                    may be time to pay for some advice?
                    Warwick Walker gets my vote. [email protected]
                    www.ilender.co.nz
                    Financial Paramedics

                    Comment

                    Working...