If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Header Ad Module
Collapse
Investment in Apartments given on long lease to Rydges Hotel/Quest/UAW
some bug in my lpad
posted before I could complete the thread
Anyways
I was thinking of investing in apartments which are given on long lease to Quest, Rydges Hotel and UAW etc. In Wellington
There are several such listings always available on Trademe
My aim is to get a better return on my current corpus of 150k ,and further yearly savings of 30k per year
So if I invest about 250to 275K I can become debt free in 5 years
The agents tell me that I will get a nett return after expenses of body Corp rates and management fees of 7-8%
Is any member owning any such Properties and are there any hidden expenses I should be aware of ?
Is the return sustainable over a long period ?
Will you advise a first time buyer to invest in it ?
Thanks for advising
P.S. I have made another thread also by mistake I think the only the moderators can delete it.
but it all depends then on what the lease looks like
if the return in 7%
why is the current owner selling?
The hotel is generally not interested if the yield is 6.5pc to 7pc as their funds invested in the hotels are a lot more
Yes i have read the same thing the hotel trade is booming and there is a large shortage of rooms
It seems like an investment with very little control - you're dependent on the ongoing competitive advantage of the hotel operator. Also if their fees (costs) went up separate to rents your numbers could quickly look skewed. If you're choosing between this and a house I'd go for a house.
It seems like an investment with very little control - you're dependent on the ongoing competitive advantage of the hotel operator. Also if their fees (costs) went up separate to rents your numbers could quickly look skewed. If you're choosing between this and a house I'd go for a house.
Hi Nick
As my budget is limited to 250K to 275K I will not get any good house near the city
(I want to take a fixed 5 year loan only to the extent I can pay off in the period)
I will have to go to the lower demand areas of Wellington, which I was trying to avoid.
Moreover, I was thinking that it would be easier to sell these types of properties rather then low end houses.
But I now realise that at the end of 5 years when I am ready to offload this house, if the interest rates are any where near 7%, no one will touch this apartment, as it will make no sense for them to invest.
The returns are capped whereas the interest rate the investor has to pay is variable.
So if I have to sell I will have to take a massive loss to make the apartment give 2-3% more return then what the banks are charging.
As my budget is limited to 250K to 275K I will not get any good house near the city
(I want to take a fixed 5 year loan only to the extent I can pay off in the period)
I will have to go to the lower demand areas of Wellington, which I was trying to avoid.
Moreover, I was thinking that it would be easier to sell these types of properties rather then low end houses.
But I now realise that at the end of 5 years when I am ready to offload this house, if the interest rates are any where near 7%, no one will touch this apartment, as it will make no sense for them to invest.
The returns are capped whereas the interest rate the investor has to pay is variable.
So if I have to sell I will have to take a massive loss to make the apartment give 2-3% more return then what the banks are charging.
Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
This hotel used to be the Holiday Inn in Wellington and it was in the papers because it wasn't paying the guaranteed rent to investors. This wasn't Holiday Inn's fault apparently, they were busy and paying whatever they were meant to, to the building owners. I can't say who, but my source for that info is good. But the money wasn't making it to investors. So, the name might have changed, but if it's still the same owners or a similar mix of shifty b*stards then I would not put money there.
My brother is about to go unco on his first property in one of these "less demand" areas, where demand is a lot less less than it used to be. By the time he's cleaned it up and renovated etc it'll make 7.5% GY with good equity locked into 5 years lending at under 5%. Just buy something in an area that is improving, make it nice and let the market do the rest. You'll be fine. In the meantime you're losing maybe $5-7K to the market each month you sit on your hands.
Comment