Slow and Steady Buy and Hold- Tell me your Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow and Steady Buy and Hold- Tell me your Story

Tell me your case study of buying and holding property.

The only stories people share are ones where they buy 10 properties in 12 months, which personally for our circumstances we find it near impossible to replicate. With my partner and I, we are only inclined to purchase buy and hold in main cities, so it's a long term game for us (we are late 20's).

Tell me your story, would love to hear it.

You should do a deep search of the forums. There are quite a few of the slow-and-steady type tales buried among the other sort you mention.

Comment

It's sort of a funny question really. Just get the stats from landlords.co.nz on any suburb you are interested in and you can see what the growth has been on any property. In Auckland they double in value every ten years roughly, a bit less than that now. And they have done so pretty consistently for decades. What is it really you are trying to find out?

Comment

^^ Agreed. (Perry's post)

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Generally landlords/property investors treat their privacy very highly, so many don't want to share their story and compromise their privacy at the same time.

Those appear on magazines/newspapers/online forums/youtube etc because of one or a combination of these factors:
          1) fame
          2) they want to inspire others
          3) stupidity
          4) got something to sell

I think you are far better off joining your local property investors association, and mix and mingle with fellow members. People are a lot more open and honest in a face to face conversation than sharing online.

Comment

Plus the time-honoured suggestion . . .

Get a grasp on those on here who look like they have done what you describe, then issue a lunch or dinner invitation. Might be the best mentoring investment you ever make.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
              Plus the time-honoured suggestion . . .

Get a grasp on those on here who look like they have done what you describe, then issue a lunch or dinner invitation. Might be the best mentoring investment you ever make.
              Single best piece of investment advice I got came at 1am after maybe 8 beers. That was conversation #17 with that person too.
              Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                Single best piece of investment advice I got came at 1am after maybe 8 beers. That was conversation #17 with that person too.
                Have another beer?

You cant not tell us now.. come on,haha

Comment

"Lets have a scotch"

It was more relevant to my situation, that person reminded me that a key personal benefit of working in the industry was that you became a stronger investor and to keep progressing on your own journey while you helped clients and your team achieve their goals. Got my head back in the game and I've had an awesome 12 months since. It's always good to have positives to look to after a rough day at the coalface.
                  Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

It's a lonely old game at times for sure Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                      Generally landlords/property investors treat their privacy very highly, so many don't want to share their story and compromise their privacy at the same time.

Those appear on magazines/newspapers/online forums/youtube etc because of one or a combination of these factors:
                      1) fame
                      2) they want to inspire others
                      3) stupidity
                      4) got something to sell

I think you are far better off joining your local property investors association, and mix and mingle with fellow members. People are a lot more open and honest in a face to face conversation than sharing online.
                      gary - didn't I see your story in the paper... Which of the 1-4 options drove your appearance?

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                        gary - didn't I see your story in the paper... Which of the 1-4 options drove your appearance?
                        Actually 3 times:
                        1) Young landlord's 11 rentals in 5 years
                        2) http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11626940
                        3) http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11679350

1, 2, and 4.

I was asked to be on it, for free, so why not! Ok, maybe 3 too.
                        Last edited by PTILoveYou; 26-08-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Well played...

Comment

Started with $65K cash.
                            2014 April - buy $400K Papatoetoe 3 bed + 2 bed garage sleep-out. Rent $550.
                            2015 September - Sell for $540K
                            2015 November - buy $365K Hamilton 4 bed with minor dwelling potential. Rent $390.
                            2015 December - buy $490K Hamilton 4 bed + nice sleep-out. Rent $490.
                            2016 March - buy $1.3M Ellerslie 4 bed as 50% JV. Rent by the room $1040.

E-valuer puts them at $430K, $580K and $1.41M

~$65K turned into ~$450K equity in 2.5yrs.
                            Cashflow is not great - maybe $100/wk positive.

That's the journey so far :-)

Comment

I started investing in property around 2003. Bought more property roughly every 18 months. My income in that time outside of property was approximately $50,000 per year, so I could not afford to top up mortgages. I looked for properties with a twist ie that I can add another dwelling to. Generally these are in high density areas. I now have income from 12 properties which are positive cashflow. (approx. $125,000 before tax per annum). This was done at a pace that was workable for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X