Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dux Quest plumbing problems

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if this is a real issue to consider when buying an investment property? Would you advise to stay away from properties with this issue?

How much does it usually cost you to change/upgrade from a Dux Quest?

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers!

You can always replumb with Buteline. Any good plumber will give you a quote

Comment

Yes it's a real problem but the scale depends on the pluming layout and ease of access. We've had 3 episodes of leaking Dux Quest pipes but, touch wood, we've got it all replaced now.

Comment

Thanks Learning. How much did it cost you to replace them, if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Learning View Post
        Yes it's a real problem but the scale depends on the pluming layout and ease of access. We've had 3 episodes of leaking Dux Quest pipes but, touch wood, we've got it all replaced now.

Comment

Total pain in the neck. You replace it as it fails.

Comment

I blogged about this years ago: http://www.privatebuyer.co.nz/proper...bing-problems/

I bought a place with it in and decided to completely re-plumb it.
            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

So you were the writer for that article. It was the very first thing I read when I googled about the Dux Quest problems and I must say it's really informative.

I guess I have to ask the builder who inspected the property how much it'll cost me. I'm trying to purchase 6 units in one title so it'll be a hard kick to replace all of the plumbing for these 6 units.

Originally posted by drelly View Post
              I blogged about this years ago: http://www.privatebuyer.co.nz/proper...bing-problems/

I bought a place with it in and decided to completely re-plumb it.

Comment

I have 12 units. Costs about 4 grand a unit. Complete pain.

Comment

its in a house im doing up at the moment, in a 1 meter length in the bathroom it had 5 joins, had to laugh at that

Comment

Guys I have just had a new house built and the google images (see below) for "DUX QEST" look almost identical to what my plumber has just installed in my brand new house. I called him and he says the pipe system he has used is "PEX". Is anyone familiar with PEX???

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                      Total pain in the neck. You replace it as it fails.
                      If you're waiting for it to fail before you replace it you'll be in for a patchwork of bills when you least expect it.

Our building inspector first found it with high moisture readings during the inspection. Has been slowly leaking for sometime. The old owners insurance covered most of the repairs but not the plumbing.

About a year later it started raining down stairs. That was about $900 + the insurance payout. I thought we'd replaced it all after that... until I came home one day to a hissing noise in the kitchen. I cut a hole in the wall to find another pipe had burst. Touch wood it's all done now.

Comment

I have had a few pin prick holes now & then in the Dux stuff but also had it occur in copper piping. My advice would be to catch it as it comes .The failings of pipes are not solely systemic to the Dux brand. I have also had RX branded plastic fittings fail that were relatively new but failed possibly due to short increased bursts in water mains pressure.

Insurance companies are always looking for escape clauses - every-time i had a leak in one of my properties i fixed it myself generally or with the aid of a plumber. I found i was never covered anyway for these situations so ended up ditching the insurance cover as its pretty worthless and causing more stress than the event itself

Comment

Have had one property with it - and over the years have waited for it to fail before replacing it - have been told it's all gone now. Probably did cost all up $3K but spread over 8 years.

cheers,

donna
                          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

It can be an opportunity to negotiate during the buying process.
                            I used the discovery of Dux-Quest in the building report as a lever to negotiate $2.5K off the initial offer price near the end of the Due Diligence period.
                            A year on an no leaks, but I'm very aware that it is there and could leak at any time (or not...)
                            Feedback I had from a plumber is that if it is well installed and supported (no hanging or loose sections) it is much less likely to leak.

Comment

Is it worthed to replace dux quest with copper? is copper piping a lot more durable than other material?

Comment

Working...
                              X