Header Ad Module

Collapse

Investment opportunities around Kapiti once Transmission Gully is underway.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CaliAngel
    Freshie
    • Dec 2012
    • 24

    #1

    Investment opportunities around Kapiti once Transmission Gully is underway.

    I was recently watching this flyover of the proposed construction of Transmission Gully:



    I have some equity to roll over into a larger scale development mid 2016. Given a lack of obvious investment opportunities elsewhere in the North Island I am looking in the Crystal Ball to see where there might be growth in population and a demand for housing given the new infrastructure. So fellow property punters. Which communities look to thrive and and benefit from the construction of Transmission Gully and which townships might not fare so well from Levin to further south.
    Last edited by CaliAngel; 30-09-2015, 02:22 PM.
  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10069

    #2
    Yes you'll need a crystal ball. I've read reports suggesting only a very modest increase in population on the Kapiti Coast. The weather is definitely better but the convenience of being near the city and close to work is what keeps people in Wellington.

    cheers,

    Donna
    Last edited by donna; 30-09-2015, 03:34 PM.
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

    Comment

    • marklowes
      Forum Junkie
      • Mar 2014
      • 366

      #3
      Originally posted by CaliAngel View Post
      I was recently watching this flyover of the proposed construction of Transmission Gully:



      I have some equity to roll over into a larger scale development mid 2016. Given a lack of obvious investment opportunities elsewhere in the North Island I am looking in the Crystal Ball to see where there might be growth in population and a demand for housing given the new infrastructure. So fellow property punters. Which communities look to thrive and and benefit from the construction of Transmission Gully and which townships might not fare so well from Levin to further south.
      I am missing something or have they created (going to create) a super bottle-neck at porirua?

      Thats about where traffic starts backing up anyway at present, with any jams north of there only temporary (pram etc). Need 4 lanes south from porirua or else it's not going to make things much better

      Comment

      • CaliAngel
        Freshie
        • Dec 2012
        • 24

        #4
        Originally posted by marklowes View Post
        I am missing something or have they created (going to create) a super bottle-neck at porirua?

        Thats about where traffic starts backing up anyway at present, with any jams north of there only temporary (pram etc). Need 4 lanes south from porirua or else it's not going to make things much better
        Good point. I see they have to upgrade Stateway 58 to cope as well.

        Comment

        • Craig Pope Mortgages
          Forum Junkie
          • Oct 2011
          • 267

          #5
          It is crystal ball stuff for sure!
          The key thing will be the transmission gully motorway being completed, this will mean a far quicker journey from Kapiti into Wellington. I would compare it to maybe Albany and Hibiscus Coast in Auckland.
          There is also steady rental demand including workers on the expressway and transmission gully.
          Craig PopeCraig Pope Mortgages & Insurance
          www.craigpope.co.nz

          Comment

          • Nick G
            Fanatical
            • Jul 2014
            • 2544

            #6
            I think Aotea will benefit. A lot.
            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

            Comment

            • Nectar
              Freshie
              • Jul 2015
              • 64

              #7
              Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              I think Aotea will benefit. A lot.
              whys that Nick?

              cheers

              Comment

              • donna
                Administrator
                • Aug 2003
                • 10069

                #8
                No bottleneck as they will make it a smart highway - i.e. increase lanes at peak hours, so 3 lanes going south in the mornings and 3 lanes going north in the evenings.

                cheers,

                Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                Comment

                • Nectar
                  Freshie
                  • Jul 2015
                  • 64

                  #9
                  Originally posted by donna View Post
                  No bottleneck as they will make it a smart highway - i.e. increase lanes at peak hours, so 3 lanes going south in the mornings and 3 lanes going north in the evenings.

                  cheers,

                  Donna
                  I thought TG bypassed Aotea though?

                  Comment

                  • Aston
                    Fanatical
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 1030

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Nectar View Post
                    I thought TG bypassed Aotea though?
                    Exactly. Hence the benefit to Aotea, Paremata, Whitby, Plimmerton etc.

                    Comment

                    • Nick G
                      Fanatical
                      • Jul 2014
                      • 2544

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Nectar View Post
                      whys that Nick?

                      cheers
                      Hey Nectar.

                      It'll make for a faster commute for anyone up that way, either if they're on the new road or the old. I like Aotea, it's close to Wellington, homes are nice & warm, modern, big yards it's close to water. Lots of older and colder homes in Wellington plus the strict covenants on Aotea that Carrus have in place means the standard of properties in the area is consistently high and you're not in danger of a bunch of shoeboxes being built next door. Some of the new builds going into Hamilton or Tauranga seem to be on very small lots. I drove through the lakes subdivision and while some homes will be great on others the roofs of next door houses were only a couple of feet apart.
                      Last edited by Nick G; 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM.
                      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

                      Comment

                      • Nectar
                        Freshie
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 64

                        #12
                        Thanks Nick. We've never consider Aotea on the basis that the commute into town for work would be too long, but now starting to reconsider. Especially with the quality of home you can get versus in town for the same money. Do you know what the wind zoning is up there?

                        Comment

                        • Nick G
                          Fanatical
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 2544

                          #13
                          I imagine it will be "high", which is fairly common for the coast and just means they need to do a bit more with the frame of the house. Most other modern building material AFAIK can withstand high wind zones by design.

                          I can refer you to a new build expert who can chat with you a bit more about the subdivision, what kind of builds go in there and costs etc if you're interested in learning a bit more? Just shoot me a PM.
                          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

                          Comment

                          • lissie
                            Addicted
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 606

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Nectar View Post
                            Thanks Nick. We've never consider Aotea on the basis that the commute into town for work would be too long, but now starting to reconsider. Especially with the quality of home you can get versus in town for the same money. Do you know what the wind zoning is up there?
                            Extreme engineering zone I should think. I live in Ttiahi Bay (better views, nicer houses, 1/2 the price) and we're extreme engineering wind zone too as well. It's not a big deal - unless you buy a house with big bifold doors - the issue is just you'll only get to open them about twice a year without blowing the house inside out!

                            I've looked at quite a few open homes in Aotea (great for decorating ideas) and you couldn't give me a house there. Very little usable outdoor space (see wind comment above) - no facilities - no shops - though I think a NW supermarket is planned. Because of the traffic seems to take as long to get to Porirua station as my 5km commute to it takes.

                            I don't think Transmission Gully is going to make that much difference to this area - what will make a huge difference is the Granada - Tawa link - which will make the Hutt Valley far more accessible.
                            Lis:

                            Helping NZ authors get their books published

                            Comment

                            Working...