Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to convince someone to sell their house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicsa122 View Post
    But as her house is on a large steep section that is well maintained with many steps to climb, she keeps very fit so this probably won't be until 20 years away. She has told me she is not interested in selling or hearing an offer,not now or ever. She also gets easily confused so if I approach her with another idea it has to be simple...

any ideas?
    You are a exceptionally ruthless individual, a predator. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
      if somebody was hassling one of my elderly relatives, i would be displeased, and may resort to fistycuffs
      I like this much much more than the 'slime your way in to make money' strategy of Gary Lin.

She's an old woman, leave her alone.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by nicsa122 View Post
        I just think there must be something she could want for her final years other than her house that would make those years all the merrier.
        You really don't understand the importance of a home, do you. The memories, sense of safety, belonging, a whole pantheon of cherished bonds which a home means to an older person.

One of the most satisfying wishes for many of the elderly is to never leave their home. Dying there while they still own it is a win against all the challenges of old age.

Leave the lady in peace and give her the respect she deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          And Gary - hopefully you would have been her friend before you thought you might want her house, not after!
          No I would give up the idea of buying her land and move towards something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
            I like this much much more than the 'slime your way in to make money' strategy of Gary Lin.

She's an old woman, leave her alone.
            I'm merely pointing out tips from the book "how to win friends and influence people" to help Nicsa of what he/she wanted.

As to whether it is the right thing to do? Nothing relating to the intention of the post.

Comment

or maybe its a sign of times of greed desperation, will do whatever it takes to achieve my goal mentality to get on the property ladder that we forget simple morals and values.

What if you didn't rich dad poor dad and the all the other so called "good books" for personal gain What if...would that have made you a well rounded human being..

Comment

nicsa122 is no different to any other property owner/property investor on this site, he/she has simply opened up one of his/her thoughts for discussion. All of the regular contributors, to PT, have done this from time to time. What has followed in this thread is truly typical of what this site is capable of. 'We' have done our best to destroy yet another contributor, with self exaltation as our main goal in the process.

nisca122, you are guilty of nothing. Ignore all of the negative comments from the ethical brigade. My personal opinion is to consider the advice offered by artemis. Gary Lin also has made some valid comments.

Comment

"Done our best to destroy another poster". Wow. Over egged the drama-queen, there, much? I completely disagree. There is nothing wrong with conducting oneself with ethics, and to see it done in business is heart-warming. It is entirely refreshing to see so many hard arsed PIs doing the right thing, and all THEY were doing, myself included, were expressing THEIR feelings much like the OP. Or should we be prevented from that for fear of offending the guy who obviously has no qualms pushing this old woman towards what he wants, and she doesn't. Harden up, Aston.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post

There is nothing wrong with conducting oneself with ethics

Absolutely, I agree...

The point that I am making is that there is nothing in the original post to suggest that nisca122 has acted, or will act, unethically. Also... the suggestion made by artemis is totally ethical, if handled discreetly.

Labelling the OP as a "ruthless individual" and a "predator" is way OTT in my opinion. I am also trying to point out that some people on this site are bullies and it is not necessary to turn a totally innocent thread into a slanging match.

Comment

Nisca you have to ignore all the w*nky comments. To answer your question, given she has said she isn't interested, if you really definitely want the place give her via mail a simple option to purchase with a decent option fee. For example you ask her to give you an option to purchase the property at fair market value should she ever wish to sell. In exchange for that option you give her a non refundable option fee, large enough for her to think about it. Say 10 grand. If you buy the tenK comes off purchase price.
                      But don;t talk to her about it just mail it to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                        No I would give up the idea of buying her land and move towards something else.
                        So what you are saying is that you would only be her friend if you could get something for yourself?
                        Very selfish.
                        Think karma.
                        There is a good film called Pay It Forward - do good things and good things happen.

Comment

I have some spare hunting gear that I can give to the old girl. Maybe some rock salt also. I'll need to know where to send this training video.* see youtube link below.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            Think karma.
                            Sometimes I contemplate about this ... when I make a below market private offer and the offer is accepted because the vendor didn't know they could get more elsewhere - does it make me a bad person?

Comment

Originally posted by Curious View Post
                              Sometimes I contemplate about this ... when I make a below market private offer and the offer is accepted because the vendor didn't know they could get more elsewhere - does it make me a bad person?
                              Bad is quite subjective - best if you work it out for yourself.
                              Personally I don't like to take advantage of someone who is vulnerable but I do like a good deal so there is a line in there I don't cross.
                              Not easy to define just where that line is.

Comment

As Wayne says very subjective. For example I have purchased homes from deceased estates where I have said to them to take anything they want to keep but otherwise leave the property just as is. Often with grandma's unit this means filth everywhere and a complete rehab/spruce up. That can be of high value to some families and they happily sell for less knowing their headache is being removed. Conversely I have seen a home for sale that an agent was marketing for far less than its real value. I was so annoyed I wrote the owners a note advising them of the dickhead agent. They rung me a week later and I bought the property for 75K over the agents asking.

Comment

Working...
                                X