Rent Boom is here in parts of Auckland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent Boom is here in parts of Auckland

I have always been monitoring the rent levels and listing numbers for 2 bedroom units in central Auckland.

1) Mt Wellington for example, always had about 15-24 listings of 2 bedroom units for rent on Trademe since 2010.

Rents for 2 beddy units were about $300-320 in 2010, then after the Christchurch earthquake struck, rents went to $340-360 in 2011. Rents stayed pretty much the same for 2012, then $380 started to creep in in 2013.

Now 2014, listing is at an all time low, between 6 to 10 listing, which is half of what it used to be. Rent asking on trademe is now $400-420 some even $450!

2) Mt Albert for example, listings were around the 10 mark last few years. Rent has always been lacking behind suburbs to the east (maybe some people are stupid enough to believe Mt Albert is west auckland). Rents in 2010 were quite low, maybe $320-350.

Now listing is in single digit, and rents are now $400+.

3) Sandringham too is similar to Mt Albert, rent is around $400, which is low comparing to what is happening in Mt Wellington.

4) Mt Eden is quite a big area and has lots of units for rent always. Rent price in 2011 was about $360-400. Now prices are around the $450 mark, which is nice to see

Units are more the bottom end of the market, but if the bottom is lifting up, I'm sure the nicer 3 beddy houses will rent more too.

I agree there is a bit of a rental boom going on at the moment.

Manurewa - Just before the LVR rules kicked in last September there were over 140 listings for rentals in Manurewa, good quality three bedrooms were going for $380 or so. There are currently around 70 listings in Manurewa and three bedroom rents have moved up to $420-430 for the better properties.

Comment

I have noticed the same with Manurewa rentals. Although, not lack of rental properties but increase in their prices. I am seeing a few $380! I am considering increasing rent on my rental from $340 to $350..
      www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
      # Property Management
      # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

How many bedrooms BigDreamer?

Comment

That's great news to the ears of the WOF brigade.
          Landlords acknowledging they are making higher and higher profits.

Comment

No just slowly passing the extra taxes onto the tenants.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

But that was the point.
              The WOF brigade will be able to ignore any complaints about costs from landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                That's great news to the ears of the WOF brigade.
                Landlords acknowledging they are making higher and higher profits.
                No we are just passing the extra costs in bank interest, insurance, council rates, water fixed charges etc to the tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                  No we are just passing the extra costs in bank interest, insurance, council rates, water fixed charges etc to the tenants.
                  Ha.
                  So this rent boom isn't increasing your profits ?
                  My, what a disappointment.....I guess my definition of a boom actually involved making more money.

Comment

Ha.
                    So this rent boom isn't increasing your profits ?
                    My, what a disappointment.....I guess my definition of a boom actually involved making more money.
                    As long as I don't top up the mortgage from my own pocket (never had to), I don't really care what cashflow I get atm.

All I make sure is the tenants are happy, repairs are attended to urgently, and market rents are achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                      As long as I don't top up the mortgage from my own pocket (never had to), I don't really care what cashflow I get atm.
                      As I said before, all music to the ears of the WOF brigade.

Comment

As I said before, all music to the ears of the WOF brigade.
                        They can bring whatever WOF they like, and we will bring out the rent increases, fair deal.

Comment

Yes.
                          Just nice for the Wof Brigade to hear directly from landlords that it won't affect their returns.
                          Hence they will take it that any complaints from that direction can be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by AMR View Post
                            How many bedrooms BigDreamer?
                            2 bedrooms.

I'm assuming your manurewa rentals are 3 bedrooms?
                            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                            # Property Management
                            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Yes.
                              Just nice for the Wof Brigade to hear directly from landlords that it won't affect their returns.
                              Hence they will take it that any complaints from that direction can be ignored.
                              They ignore our opinion, we ignore theirs.

Comment

Working...
                              X