Is it time to consider Huntly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to consider Huntly?

Close to Hamilton. <1h from South Auckland. Easily commutable. Returns around 7-8% before any negotiation. Prices between $120k & $300k with a lot of 3-beds around the $200k mark. Prices increasing in Auckland, so both pricing out 1st-home buyers and simultaneously lifting prices in nearby towns (Huntly having the distinct advantage of being lifted by two locales). What could go wrong!!?? Disclaimer: Nothing to sell in Huntly, personally. Have always despised the place on the rare forays through it (as fast as legally possible with windows locked).

Just cause the last crazy boom spread to the regions - doesn't mean this one will.
    Rural one horse towns are probably OK with returns >12%.

Have you considered organising HTGRQ seminars and flogging the place off to Australians?
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

It was a serious question! I read about Huntly's average price in Sunday's rag and it got me to thinking about really how convenient the place is to both Hamilton and Auckland. Sure, it's rural, but the prices still seem low by comparison.

Comment

It's too far from Auckland really. I can't see any serious growth there any time soon, there's nothing much there to pull people except cheap houses and that's not enough on it's own. It's a pure yield play. Not quite sure why you'd looking to invest somewhere your afraid to wind the window down?

Pukekohe would be a better bet given it's rail connection for the outer edge of Auckland dormitories, but I'm sure the market there already reflects that.

Comment

Also long term will Huntly be bypassed by the new Waikato Expressway, and then suffer from the lost traffic?

With petrol prices just going up, I'd be careful about buying too far from the main centres.

Ross
          Book a free chat here
          Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Both excellent points I'd not thought of, Ross. Cheers.

Comment

Oh yeah i want my rate money being spent on maintaining the city's iconic Deka sign for sure.

Comment

It's the last in the country, Glizzle. Iconic and historic is what it is.

Comment

Give me a break, a company that stood for 20 years and now its historic ? more to the point of not buying in a backwards town.

Comment

Huntly's future looking bleak.. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...eally-bad-news

Comment

high yielding parts of Hamilton would be a better bet than Huntly...

Comment

Who the hell live there?

Are there enough jobs locally to keep the tenants in your rental to pay you rent?

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
                          Who the hell live there?

Are there enough jobs locally to keep the tenants in your rental to pay you rent?
                          maybe you need to get out more - there is stuff south of the Bombays.

Comment

I have heard that the ground can give way at any time in Huntly. Not from any reliable source mind you. But there are a lot if mines there.

Comment

So.
                              Basket case Solid Energy sacks another 93; while protecting their ivory tower.
                              John Key is still talking up a possible sale as they "re-structure"

Meanwhile, across the road another SOE Genesis Energy continues to import cheap Indonesian coal for Huntly power station.

Coal imported as miners laid off
                              Solid Energy acting chief executive Garry Diack admits the importation of coal when his company is laying off nearly 100 Waikato coal miners is senseless.

"It's offensive," he said, in North Waikato yesterday after the debt-laden state-owned enterprise announced the proposed lay offs of 93 Solid Energy jobs at the Huntly East underground coal mine.

"Importing coal into a region like this, it just doesn't make logical sense."
                              www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9048805/Coal-imported-as-miners-laid-off

Comment

Working...
                              X