Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage and No Code of Compliance

Hi Guys - First post here.

We are going through our due diligence at the moment with an investment property and found out the garage doesn't have a CCC, but had an original building consent back in the early 2000's.

The garage looks very sound, but wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences and the best way to go about obtaining one (Currently in talks with the council). Is the best bet to get a building inspector in?

It has also been jib out on the interior for a sleepout (but looks like it would need a bit of tidying up) and I see my options as below:

1 - Buy at a discounted price of original agreed price (i.e. take into account what the cost could be) and apply for a CCC.
    2 - Buy at a discounted price of original agreed price (i.e. take into account what the cost could be), convert to a sleep and apply for a CCC.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, particularly if someone has been in the same situation.

Originally posted by K-Rad View Post
    Hi Guys - First post here.

We are going through our due diligence at the moment with an investment property and found out the garage doesn't have a CCC, but had an original building consent back in the early 2000's.

The garage looks very sound, but wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences and the best way to go about obtaining one (Currently in talks with the council). Is the best bet to get a building inspector in?

It has also been jib out on the interior for a sleepout (but looks like it would need a bit of tidying up) and I see my options as below:

1 - Buy at a discounted price of original agreed price (i.e. take into account what the cost could be) and apply for a CCC.
    2 - Buy at a discounted price of original agreed price (i.e. take into account what the cost could be), convert to a sleep and apply for a CCC.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, particularly if someone has been in the same situation.
    If you revert to it just being a garage then worst case scenario is you have to rip the gib linings off so framing etc can be inspected and then a CCC issued. Best case is you could find an expert accepted by council who would investigate sign off anything the council has missed without too much removal/repair.

If you decide to go to a sleepout route then that is more difficult. A living space is more onerous than a garage. If the slab did not have polythene installed under (garages don't need it, houses do - the council may want proof) they may insist on a solution (a 50mm topping slab over the existing is one option (horrible ihmo) but you have to lift the entire frame to install it. Then you have potential development contribution fees (depending on your council - this can vary greatly - I think North Shore lost a court case to some developers over charging too much so hopefully these may be sensible). It would also need to be insulated, braced, fire assessment done etc.

It may be that the second option is achievable without too much cost but the first option will be much easier. Make sure the price reduction you get reflects the actual works you will need to do, so get a builder in to quote it (include council fees) or alternatively, get the vendor to take the risk and obtain the CCC as a condition of sale.

Good luck.

Comment

I assume the consent was as a garage? Getting the CCC shouldn't be too much drama for that purpose. As a sleepout, it's going to be more complicated depending on what building inspections were done and recorded at the time. It terms of buying the place, the price would be as a garage with a discount for the time and cost of getting the CCC with the slight risk it can't be obtained. Or, of course, you can make it conditional on the seller to get it?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the input re: my post. We ended up going ahead with the purchase at a discounted price to take into account the cost of getting a compliance.

Am I correct in saying that there would be no need in getting CCC for the garage, if I convert it directly to a sleepout? I have had some advice that I could Gib the inside and bottom of garage with insulation to comply with insulation standards.

I am thinking of organising a meeting with the council to fully understand what is needed to comply, as when i have spoken to them on the phone they have been a bit vague.

Comment

Working...
        X