Header Ad Module

Collapse

Advice on first time investment property

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rx7rotary
    • Oct 2026

    #1

    Advice on first time investment property

    Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

    I bought a house in Massey , West AKL 3 and half years ago, for 350K, it is now valued at 400k.
    I have paid off around 70k and currently owe around 267k.
    I assume I have anywhere from 120-140k to play as in equity to purchase another property.
    The idea is we would like to move out of the area, and live in Torbay or Browns bay. Potentially looking at a semi do-up (I would do most things myself)
    The Massey property would be rented out at $400per week, which would just cover the repayment.
    My idea is to get the worst house in the best possible area of Torbay or Browns bay, but not sure of how much should I strech.
    If I get a house of 450k over the shore we get left with all the chores and bills paid off with $650 a month.
    Also in terms of renting the current proerty I realise that I can setup a business to do this but really unsure how that works? Could anyone give me some advice or perhaps point me in the right direction.

    Kindest Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by Perry; 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM. Reason: fixed typo
  • TheLiberalLeft
    Banned
    • Aug 2010
    • 2630

    #2
    I wouldn't worry about complicating with a company setup just yet.

    In the Bays, try and buy in Rangitoto college zone. Don't just assume that Browns Bay is in zone - not all of it is. You need to download the zone map from the college's website.

    It'll cost a bit more, but will pay off in the long run.

    Comment

    • props4u
      Opinionated
      • Apr 2009
      • 194

      #3
      hi Mark, welcome

      other than to suggest u follow TLL's advice

      Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
      I wouldn't worry about complicating with a company setup just yet.

      In the Bays, try and buy in Rangitoto college zone. Don't just assume that Browns Bay is in zone - not all of it is. You need to download the zone map from the college's website.

      It'll cost a bit more, but will pay off in the long run.
      here's some suggestions, hope others can chip in, there r many good people here
      • don't rush into it, read and learn as much as u can by searching past threads if need b
      • learn about LVR and yield
      • atm not bad idea to use floating rates, this way u avoid break fees plus have lowest rates - if feeling vulnerable go 50/50 floating/fixed
      • aim to spread ur mortgages with different lenders (banks), don't let one bank handle both mortgages cuz they wouldn't hesitate to cream u which they can and do do
      • for future rental 2b, engage PM or learn all u can from Keys here about how to deal with tenants and RTA, go to his website and download pre tenancy application form and tenancy agreement forms
      • or learn from Glen in here too (Glen and Keys are best)
      • advertise on trademe with best viewing times for applicants to be around 1pm
      • learn difference between fixed term tenancy agreement and periodic and decide what u want tenant to be on

      hope others will correct me if wrong
      Last edited by props4u; 09-10-2012, 01:37 AM.
      Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
      Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
      May 2012

      Comment

      • rx7rotary
        • Oct 2026

        #4
        Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
        I wouldn't worry about complicating with a company setup just yet.

        In the Bays, try and buy in Rangitoto college zone. Don't just assume that Browns Bay is in zone - not all of it is. You need to download the zone map from the college's website.

        It'll cost a bit more, but will pay off in the long run.
        Thanks TTL that was exactly what I was thinking , the problem is if I will be able to strech that much. I have downloaded the zone map, thanks for that, didnt even realise this stuff existed, I guess no kids yet so never thought about school zones.
        Thanks
        m.

        Comment

        • rx7rotary
          • Oct 2026

          #5
          Originally posted by props4u View Post
          • learn about LVR and yield - Can you point me in the right direction please?
          • atm not bad idea to use floating rates, this way u avoid break fees plus have lowest rates - if feeling vulnerable go 50/50 floating/fixed
          • aim to spread ur mortgages with different lenders (banks), don't let one bank handle both mortgages cuz they wouldn't hesitate to cream u which they can and do do
          • for future rental 2b, engage PM or learn all u can from Keys here about how to deal with tenants and RTA, go to his website and download pre tenancy application form and tenancy agreement forms
          • or learn from Glen in here too (Glen and Keys are best)
          • advertise on trademe with best viewing times for applicants to be around 1pm
          • learn difference between fixed term tenancy agreement and periodic and decide what u want tenant to be on

          hope others will correct me if wrong
          Thanks very much for all your comments and advice... and I certainly won't be rushing with this.
          m

          Comment

          • props4u
            Opinionated
            • Apr 2009
            • 194

            #6
            sorry rx7, a wee bit late (i wont hear the end of it from her if i stay on any longer) will get back to u if i can in a day or two, hope someone else can fill in, in meantime

            help pls anyone ... rx7rotary needs links and how to search info ... help pls anyone

            lvr = loan to value ratio = value of loan divided by value of govt valuation times 100 = %age
            eg kiwibank will not lend more than 70%, bnz up to 85% etc etc
            Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
            Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
            May 2012

            Comment

            • NovInvestor
              Addicted
              • Jul 2010
              • 983

              #7
              Yes like what TLL said, definitely buy in Rangi school zone.

              House prices in Auckland these days are driven a lot by which school zone it is in now, immigrants just love a good school.

              Comment

              Working...