Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economist says it's cheaper to rent - What are your views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
    None of that explains why he wont buy a family home surely he can work out rent goes up but a mortgage goes down over time?
    I thought I read somewhere he said he was thinking about buying a property for his family.
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

• Moderated Posts - Please keep on topic

Hi All,

There are now moderated posts in this discussion. Please keep on topic - but away from expressing negative thoughts about the person.

Thanks

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

• Originally posted by donna View Post
        I thought I read somewhere he said he was thinking about buying a property for his family.
        There was mention a while back that he might and I felt the world would stop spinning.
        Didn't seem to be mentioned again so I thought maybe I had mis-read it.

Comment

• You might expect an average working man or woman might not see the value in buying a home. Or that they don't understand asset cycles they could be forgiven. But an economist who grandstands about not buying a house, encouraging others to do the same that's pitiful. Followed by lots of loud crying and moaning noises I say you don't understand economics. Does he have an economics degree?

Comment

• As usual, the big flaw in his (and other commentators) argument is that they keep talking about averages.

Savvy investors do not pay an average price for an investment property - they take the time and effort to hunt out the bargains.
            First home buyers should not/do not buy an average price house - they will (and in the past have) started somewhere cheap and over time move up.
            Last edited by flyernzl; 11-06-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
              As usual, the big flaw in his (and other commentators) argument is that they keep talking about averages.

Savvy investors do not pay an average price for an investment property - they take the time and efort to hunt out the bargains.
              First home buyers should not/do not buy an average price house - they will (and in the past have) started somewhere cheap and over time move up.
              You mean, like, you know working your way up for the bottom, like in a property ladder flyernzl? Crazy talk.

Smeagol talking on home ownership in the LoTR part IV:
              "We wants it. We wants it now. We wants it brand new and (perferably) we doesn't wants to work for it. Yes, my precious, we wants it...."

Craig

Comment

• Gets a bit het up about Winston....

Economist drops F-bomb on TV

Comment

• Well, Mr Rental is now listed under Entertainment segment on news, well done!

Comment

• The next time he's on tv he'll bite the head off a bat.
                    *sigh* those were the days.

Comment

• The poll result on the shams book is hilarious

Comment

• apart from making a noise how does he earn a living now days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          apart from making a noise how does he earn a living now days?
                          Maybe their baby is big enough he's taking him/her to kindy, and his wife goes back to work for the world bank.

Comment

• Is he really any worse than regular financial columnist Mary Holm from NZ Herald?

She also advocates renting rather than owning ,going many years back.
                            Last edited by mrsaneperson; 06-09-2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Who is she?

Shes not as 'well known' as Mr Rental now

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                                Who is she?

Shes not as 'well known' as Mr Rental now
                                I got her name wrong, now corrected its Mary Holm she has a regular financial questions and answers column in the Weekend Herald -the column has been going for around 15 years. So the sham guy is a newbie in relative terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X