X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
    Chinese government building a hotel in Auckland:

Not sure how I feel about all this.

Good to have the economic activity and the jobs etc.

There have been quality issues with Chinese products before.

And of course, it's not a private company, it's a state owned company, so it's not really competing on a level playing field with other private companies.

Link
    If China is happy to subsidiise, thus be more competitive, not our problem; so what if cost for a NZ company to build would be higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
      I doubt such things will even cause a slight niggle with the W'gton woodenheads. I do hope that the construction doesn't involve left-over, rejected or surplus bridge support steel.
      That's not nice.
      Your comment should be moderated.
      I take offence at this dedicated group being called 'W'gton woodenheads'; I have family and friends working in the government sector
      - unless you were referring to the property sector in Wellington?

Comment

• Great posts Eugene.

But in terms of black swans, i.e. what is going to be the next recession causing thing, maybe having China building all our infrastructure, large buildings etc. and then something bad economically occurs in China and they pull out half way through - could be it?

Or maybe some sort of conflict in the South China sea, which escalates quickly and NZ has to choose a side and we choose the US/Japan side?
        Last edited by Davo36; 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Perhaps Eugene you should read what others have said
          about Governments and politicians at
          Make us laugh, post something that relieves the stresses of being a property investor.

I reckon Perry is being very nice about the Wellington woodenheads.
          "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by muppet View Post
            Perhaps Eugene you should read what others have said
            about Governments and politicians at
            Make us laugh, post something that relieves the stresses of being a property investor.

I reckon Perry is being very nice about the Wellington woodenheads.
            Very funny

Here's another:
            'now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing'
            - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Great posts Eugene.

But in terms of black swans, i.e. what is going to be the next recession causing thing, maybe having China building all our infrastructure, large buildings etc. and then something bad economically occurs in China and they pull out half way through - could be it?

Or maybe some sort of conflict in the South China sea, which escalates quickly and NZ has to choose a side and we choose the US/Japan side?
              Or National gets in for a fourth term, knows it really is their last, and does... well, whatever they want really

Comment

• Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                Or National gets in for a fourth term, knows it really is their last, and does... well, whatever they want really
                Does something proactive rather than reactive based on their surveys would be good.

Comment

• Well the Chinese have worked hard to produce our clothes and TV's for years, its probably ok for them to spend some of that money
                  Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                  My Website
                  Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

• Well I think you guys worried too much. Those big companies (the one mentioned here was not only biggest, but also the very best in China and Chinese people trust everything it builds)build very very very very fast therefore will finish before any events for sure.
                    When I first came to NZ I was amazed by the level of infrastructure knowing the tiny population; and when I observe some NZ constructions I was shocked how people agreed to suffer such slow speed, yet finally achieve something surprisingly. New Zealand people have very diligent and capable ancestors in deed, to build up such a nice modern country. But the life style protected as "Kiwi way" in the past decades property has erosion effect on the nation. Spending your ancestors' reserve is a shame, isn't it? At least where there has been roads and bridges, current people should be able to maintain them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCL View Post
                      Well I think you guys worried too much. Those big companies (the one mentioned here was not only biggest, but also the very best in China and Chinese people trust everything it builds)build very very very very fast therefore will finish before any events for sure.
                      When I first came to NZ I was amazed by the level of infrastructure knowing the tiny population; and when I observe some NZ constructions I was shocked how people agreed to suffer such slow speed, yet finally achieve something surprisingly. New Zealand people have very diligent and capable ancestors in deed, to build up such a nice modern country. But the life style protected as "Kiwi way" in the past decades property has erosion effect on the nation. Spending your ancestors' reserve is a shame, isn't it? At least where there has been roads and bridges, current people should be able to maintain them.
                      I assume this is a Chinese perspective?

Interesting take on things. Rush rush rush. Make money as fast as you can. Don't relax for a minute or someone else will out do you.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Well it's not like that. Think how it was when the Europeans first came here. Forests everywhere. Who cut down those trees? Who dig up the mud and built the extensive roads? Who sent power lines to the remote corners? Who made this country greatly different from Fiji?

That was just how New Zealand came the the way it is! It's a paradise but we got to maintain it, keep it going!

And you know how Koreans think about Chinese? They think we're slow. They are the people you described and they built their country out from a total mess and poverty(thanks to what we've helped), today's Korean is one of the very few that sells (TVs etc) more than buys (cabbages) from China. I've done a little bit of travel there and I admit it's clean and efficient and very civilized. Those people should be proud of themselves, and they are.

New Zealand has huge huge huge potentials, it all depends on who owns it.

Comment

New Zealand has huge huge huge potentials, it all depends on who owns it.
                          I thought the Treaty of Waitangi people had decided that?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                            I thought the Treaty of Waitangi people had decided that?
                            Didn't predict how the desendants were going to be....The Maoris also had great ancesters, remember how they made it here!

Comment

remember how they made it here!
                              Nope - I wasn't there!
                              I've heard a few stories though.

Comment

• Yeah - oral history supplemented with Chinese whispers.

Comment

Working...
                                X