TV Aerial Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Aerial Installation

Hi guys, I've tried to search on this topic because I'm pretty sure it's been discussed before but the search function won't let me use short words like sky and tv.

I need to find someone who can hook up a tv aerial and SKY dish to my building in Papakura.

The cabling is all done and coiled up below the roof, ready to be connected to the new aerial and dish. The development manager got a quote but it was $1700 incl. GST which seems a bit steep.

This is for a vhf, a uhf and a sky dish, plus all the mounting bits plus labour (which is $560??) plus a splitter to split it to the 5 tenancies.

Do I need all 3 aerials?

Now we don't have anyone there with a SKY account and so SKY won't come out and put up a dish for free.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Can you guys recommend anyone? Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Davo36; 20-10-2010, 03:29 PM.
    Squadly dinky do!

Look in the yellow pages and you should find plenty of installers. I wouldn't install UHF or VHF aerials as the government is stopping the broadcasting on the analog signals in a couple of years time and everything will be digital i.e. freeview. Find a reputable sat dish installer in the yellow pages, most are contractors to Sky anyway and they can best advise you.

Comment

Smart Home Technology ltd

Comment

UHF is required for Freeview HD.

Sky would consider your building a commercial installation and would not do a free install. They will, however, treat connecting your tenant to the existing system as a free install, so no downside for tenant.

You probably also need an amplifier (or amplifiers) in there too and filters too.

I'd leave out VHF though.

Comment

Originally posted by unhinged View Post
          Smart Home Technology ltd
          www.clearvision.net.nz
          This page http://www.clearvision.net.nz/tv_aerails_dishes_RF.htm

I hope their installation is better than their spelling!

Comment

Thanks guys, I know I can look in the yellow pages and there'll be heaps. I guess as well as the technical advice from you guys I was after a recommendation as to who was good.

Unhinged, are you saying Smart Home Technology ltd are good or did you just randomly pull them out of the Yellow Pages?

UHF is required for Freeview HD.
            That's good to know.

You probably also need an amplifier (or amplifiers) in there too and filters too.
            Yes the quote includes one of these. Is this needed because the satellite signal is weak, or because it's being split 5 ways?
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Ive used Ken Tang (Aerials and Satellite, ph 0274 757828 )for a number of properties and an apartment block upgrade recently. Technically good and does a very tidy installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                Yes the quote includes one of these. Is this needed because the satellite signal is weak, or because it's being split 5 ways?
                Yes it's because it's being split 5 ways. The filters are so that you don't amplify or distribute signals you don't intend to. You should also see a bigger dish than a normal domestic install, this gives you a better signal to start with.

Don't forget once it gets to the apartment it is potentially being split to 2-3 more outlets, so you're up to 10 or 15 outlets.

Comment

It is a bigger dish, 76 cm dia.

There's no filter listed though.

2 amps are listed: Satellite inline amp, Hills Maxi link 35 amp. Don't know why I need 2?
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

2 amps are listed: Satellite inline amp, Hills Maxi link 35 amp. Don't know why I need 2?
                    One for the satellite signal, one for the aerial(s).

I guess they don't need a filter in your case. I've seen them used in bigger buildings.

Comment

Unhinged, are you saying Smart Home Technology ltd are good or did you just randomly pull them out of the Yellow Pages?
                      I'm up North, it was just a random search
                      Last edited by Perry; 22-10-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Hi

We can help if you are looking to compare quotes. Check my signature for details,

Good luck,

Keith
                        www.builderscrack.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                        X