No announcement yet.

Another BAD tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - Tenant seems to have vacted although house is a mess, still stuff in garage and is not replying to calls/texts. Dont know new address and she still has our keys, not responding to doing final inspection. What do we do now??? Can we enter property take pictures, start cleanup and add all expenses to order that I have already lodged?

Comment

Yes that is what you do. Clean up charges can be added onto order from tribunal. Changing the pins in the lock is about $127 in Wellington, possibly a bit less for you.This can be added in as well. Not that you are likely to get any of it back without a lot more work. Tribunal then following up through the court for collections.

Most important thing now is to get your place cleaned up and get the next tenant in.
      Doug

Comment

Tenancy said had to keep out of property until court hearing or she agrees to return keys and do final inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenuf View Post
          the 90 day notice to end tenancy has been and gone but the tenant still there.
          Timing is there.

Originally posted by hadenuf
          Update - Tenant seems to have vacted although house is a mess
          Tenancy said had to keep out of property until court hearing or she agrees to return keys and do final inspection.
          If she's no longer there, and the 90 days have expired, go in. You have possession. Still go to court for a disposal, cleaning, rent arrears and damage order though.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
            Timing is there.

If she's no longer there, and the 90 days have expired, go in. You have possession. Still go to court for a disposal, cleaning, rent arrears and damage order though.
            If the tenant is in there after the expiry of the 90 day notice you will need to apply for possession under section 60(2). (This is implied by that section.) One does not legally have possession at the expiry of the 90 notice - all they have is the right to possession.

I doubt you can bowl on in, as keys suggests.

I will stand corrected, though, if others know differently.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
              If the tenant is in there after the expiry of the 90 day notice you will need to apply for possession under section 60(2). (This is implied by that section.) One does not legally have possession at the expiry of the 90 notice - all they have is the right to possession.

I doubt you can bowl on in, as keys suggests.

I will stand corrected, though, if others know differently.

Paul.
              Come on young fella. What do you do when your notice of termination expires and the tenant has moved out? Do you apply for possession? What do you do when the tenant gives you 21 days notice and moves out? Do you apply for possession?

This tenant was given notice to leave. The time frame has expired. The tenant has moved out (leaving possessions). You're dealing with an abandonment of possessions situation. Not a possession situation.

Tenant seems to have vacted although house is a mess

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Get in there, change the locks, get it cleaned up, put the rent up $20, get next customer.

Any tenant items of value - need disposal order.
                Take photos and keep a record of all time spent cleaning and other costs.
                Cleaning $25ph, Locksmith, damage repairs, rubbish removal, etc.
                Take the tenants to tribunal and hopefully get the bond plus $20pw repayment.

It's called work - but not that hard.
                Else put your money into a "productive" finance company ;-)
                The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Whoops - misread your original keys - thought you said the tenant had remained in possession after the expiry of the notice.

Comment

Just a few weeks ago I have retaken possession of vacated property before tribunal hearing without even serving an eviction order. I was asking for eviction arrears and damages at the tribunal hearing. Rang up and changed that to damages and arrears and nothing was said at the tribunal about the property possession. Not sure of the law but that is my experience. I would think that you can just bowl in to a vacated place but you would probably have to store their possessions for a while but that could be claimed as well.
                    Doug

Comment

This is sooo bloody confusing, partner rang tenancy yesterday, person on phone said we could go in and reclaim possession. Then got a call from a different tenancy person telling us to get out of house we have no right to go in. She still has legal possession. I stated I believe she has abandoned the place, but tenancy said I cant presume that???!!!??
                      Last edited by hadenuf; 11-06-2010, 08:18 PM.

Comment

OMG tenant finally text me. She going to meet us at property tomorrow 5pm. But I wont hold my breathe because she has not turned up to any other meetings, but this means to me that she knows she still has possession.

I replied, are you going to take all your possessions, clean, clean carpets hand in keys......still waiting for reply............................................. .............
                        Last edited by hadenuf; 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X