Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where in wellington do students rent?

Hi all,
    can someone please tell me where in Wellington do students at Victoria rent?
    I have a daughter wanting to study there but I have no clue how we will afford for her to rent !
    Have been looking at Wellington Central but OMG the rents are just nuts who live in these places!
    Frazz

Which campus? Have you checked the Vic Accommodation service. Have a look at Halls of Residence for first year especially. There are new halls on the Kelburn campus which look good and are around $300 pw including meals.

Comment

Originally posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
      Have been looking at Wellington Central but OMG the rents are just nuts who live in these places!
      Frazz
      Considered other centers for her education? What you save on rent could pay for her/you to fly to meet each month.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Vic Students live in:

Kelburn if they are at the Kelburn Campus.

Occasionally CBD.
        My Vic if they like to party in Courtney place
        Hataitai if they can't afford Mt. Vic.

Also Newtown and Mt cook are popular.

If they have smarts (or a car, or can tolerate more than a 2 minute bus ride) then Brooklyn , Karori or Northland can offer more bang for your buck.

Are you looking at a standalone studio for her, or flat sharing (which is the way most students go).

The rates will be higher in January (Student letting season), so it can pay to get organised and pick up a 1 yr fixed term in December.

Comment

When I went there many years ago I flatted in several places a decent walk away from uni (from memory). The bus services were excellent and cheap (except after 11pm), and I also got fit. Two places I remember are Brooklyn & Haitaitai. It was the only time in my life I didn't have a car & I didn't miss it.

I stayed at the YMCA until I found a flat & coped fine - first time away from home and totally ignorant.

Comment

Have a look here

Comment

Suburbs that are a walk away from campus. Or on a bus route.
              "You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right"

Comment

Very few students work out that (if they are at the CBD campus) then Johnsonville is actually a short train ride away, and the campus is next to the Wellington train station.

Even when they get jobs if only dawns on a few.

It seems to take having a baby to get the message across.

People can be such curious beings!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin McCandless View Post
                  Very few students work out that (if they are at the CBD campus) then Johnsonville is actually a short train ride away, and the campus is next to the Wellington train station.

Even when they get jobs if only dawns on a few.

It seems to take having a baby to get the message across.

People can be such curious beings!

Huh??? .....but then you'd have to live in Johnsonville.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all your replys,
                    She will be doing the halls of residence for the first year and then hopes to go flatting with others for the rest of her time there.
                    I was keen for her to go to Canterbury because it's cheaper to live and I can drive from here in Nelson down to chch in 5 hours.
                    But no the degree she wants to do is at Victoria but it freaked me out whn I looked at rents around the city.
                    Now that I've got a better idea of areas that are suitable It may not be as bad as I first thought.
                    Fingers crossed.
                    Frazz

Comment

We let out two student flats, each 4 bedrooms in The Terrace. The weekly rent works out at around $165 - $170 per room. One flat they double up in the lounge so it makes it cheaper per person (we allow up to 5 per flat).

The Terrace location is under 'Te Aro' on a TradeMe accommodation search.

They are handy to the uni, supermarket, work and play in the CBD. No transport costs and no need for a car (car parking is resident permit only and costs about $90 for the year).

This type of accommodation is hard to come by for the students as they are let so quickly.

Hope you find this useful. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpin View Post
                        Huh??? .....but then you'd have to live in Johnsonville.
                        Which is cheap.

Comment

Parking in Kelburn is difficult as a lot is residents only and the rest is daily coupon or time restricted. So driving is is not a good option. There are pretty good bus services that go past the Kelburn campus from CBD, Karori, Highbury, Mt Victoria, Lyall Bay and Miramar (and suburbs in between). Plus the cable car. Lots of students use the Daytripper $6 daily bus ticket if setting out after 9 am.

Comment

Working...
                          X