X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property listings fall in January for first time in four years

Property listings fall in January for first time in four years

NZPA | Monday February 1 2010 - 09:23am
    For the first time in four years the number of new properties listed for sale in January was less than that in December, real estate industry website Realestate.co.nz says.
    The figures were published today in the website's monthly report of market activity.
    Realestate.co.nz chief executive Alistair Helm said just 10,272 new listings came onto the market in January, down from 10,349 in December.
    It was the first time in four years that the January figure had been lower than December, with the New Year traditionally showing a strong lift in listings to take advantage of increased summer activity.
    Also, the national asking price in January fell to $405,040, a 1.8% drop from December's figure of $412,319, and a further slide of 3.5 percent from November's $419,586, Mr Helm said.
    The January figure remained 5.6% below the market peak of October 2007 when the asking price reached $429,033.
    Even with some vendors lowering their price expectations, buyers appeared to be biding their time in the expectation that prices would fall further in an increasingly crowded market.
    "The level of sales remains static, showing no significant improvement. As a result, the inventory level of unsold houses has shot up significantly, as measured by the number of weeks of sales necessary to clear properties on the market," Mr Helm said.
    In December, the inventory level was 34.3 weeks, but that jumped to 40.1 weeks in January, the highest since April last year.
    "All three key indices from the January statistics, ie asking price, new listings and inventory level, show an absence of expected seasonal swings. This lack of typical seasonality underscores the state of dormancy within New Zealand property, and further highlights the fact that it continues to be a buyers' market."
    The National Business Review Online is New Zealand's authority in breaking business news and analysis.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Originally posted by muppet View Post
    Even with some vendors lowering their price expectations, buyers appeared to be biding their time in the expectation that prices would fall further in an increasingly crowded market.
    The possibility of higher property taxes in the May budget can't be helping the cause of REA's either.

Comment

Not to mention the rapidly increasing unemployment figures

Comment

And the weather has been far too nice to mess around buying and selling property!
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
          And the weather has been far too nice to mess around buying and selling property!
          Very true. Who would be buying property when there are friendly dolphins swimming around our coast looking for playmates?

Comment

I go with the whether being the biggest factor as particularly the North Island (where the largest population lives) has had it bad in January.
            Scott Miller - Mortgage Broker
            Ph: 03 980 4541 M: 021 34 36 48
            AMS's website My email

Comment

said just 10,272 new listings
              10,349 in December
              77 Listing different BIG DEAL... Sounds totally normal to me... Until interest rates start going up later this year, 2 month in to that then it will be really interesting. IMHO.
              New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
              FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
              CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

How do the average selling times that agents quote match with 40 WEEKS stock?
                Agents quote average selling times in the vicinity of 32ish DAYS (local paper recently)
                If the two "facts" matched we would have approx 32 DAYS of stock
                The NZPA article quoted tells us we have over 9 MONTHS stock.
                Personal observations are that sales are happenning rather faster than slower around here. Lots of sold stickers over site signs and many ads within the prop press have 'sold' over them --usually a sign that agents think they are short of listings.

Comment

Hey guys when you check out trade me have a look at some of the listings. Some are a year old. This is bait catching stuff.

I was looking at some yesterday and they are not on the market any longer because they have been sold.
                  Wouldn't believe half of what I see and not much of what I hear.

Here's another point of view as to why there are few listings.

Obviously I live in a area where property sales are usually vibrant, fast growing area, jobs about and not a lot of spare housing around.
                  We have noticed a huge upsurge in our work,(cleaning window treatments of all kinds.) So have the other people in this business.
                  Now what does that tell us. Its tells us that people are sitting tight. Because I go into their houses on a daily basis I talk to people and here is why they are sitting tight.
                  The banks are not lending money and the rhetoric around saving, deposits, interest rates, new taxes, job security and all the noise going on has people playing for saftey.
                  Think about it. Would you sell your house that you can currently afford when the prospects of you buying another and being able to finance it are somewhat scary.
                  Every time you sell you lose 5% of the selling price and at the moment that may well be depressed as well in many area's.
                  You can sit tight, economise, take in a boarder, work some extra hours somewhere, claim your WFF and get through, but sell your house and you have to find a rental or another house you can afford. Rentals are tightening up again and new house starts are way down and are going nowhere for some time.
                  Scary stuff for the average punter at this point in time.
                  So look forward to this continuing for a while.

Comment

have noticed a slow but continual decrease in new listings on trademe

sellers are trying to get full price before the new measures come in while buyers are trying to get a discount to protect themselves from the new measures

some days the entire auckland region produces just 1 or 2 new listings at the cheaper end of the market, where there used to be 10-20 or more

some new listings are simply recycled old listings with the same boom time price expectations

while others effectively should be new listings but don't register as such as the seller has edited the listing price and dropped it lower

hint to sellers: new price, new listing
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

I have noticed there is not as much of the cheaper C*&P on the market at the moment here in Palmerston North either and certainly there are not many new listings of cheap stuff either

Comment

No news is good news..or at least that's what they say.

And that is what this is ...No News.

But....If you make a living selling houses, then the following is big news for you

"In December, the inventory level was 34.3 weeks, but that jumped to 40.1 weeks in January, the highest since April last year." NBR

Why they just didn't quote "average days to sell" I don't know.

Is it clear thinking to say that " the average days to sell figure" is a great way to see how quiclky your stock is turning over?

Comment

What's the big deal, the article talks about less listings not less buyers.

If the article was about loads of listings flooding the market and that blowing out the average days to sell wouldn't that be the bad news that they are making this out to be?

Steve

Comment

Just had a quick flick through TradeMe looking for blocks of flats.
                            Interesting to note that the listings I found in Manurewa/Papakura were placed on line in August, June, and in one case March - presumably in 2009!

A buoyant market?

Comment

Talk of buoyant markets is nonsense. Now that I have access to when properties were listed I KNOW most stuff is sitting around through multiple agents all over the place!!

Comment

Working...
                              X