Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Collapse? Hambug!

Who predicted this?

roperty investor Olly Newland sat down to write a book at Christmas with a sense of impending doom.

Inquiries for his real estate consultancy had dried up and calls for his Auckland office space were few, which led him to believe he had got the first whiff of a change.

So he wrote his fifth book on real estate, predicting an end to the good times. "We're in choppy waters, the peak has passed and there's conflicting advice," he said in Auckland yesterday of the market for residential and investment property.

"But I don't want to sound like Dr Gloom."

A survivor of the 1987 real estate crash which saw the demise of his listed Landmark Corporation, Mr Newland has produced The Day The Bubble Bursts - how to profit from the coming property slump (Addenda, $29.95).

His book, released this week, comes as Australia weathers a housing downturn.

New Zealand economists say the once-booming housing market turned in August last year. Sales volumes have declined and selling takes longer.

Mr Newland says says inner-city apartments will suffer the most from a slump.

He said yesterday that his book's predictions were all coming true. Even before many others noticed a change, he said, he penned a checklist of what to watch out for when the market was turning.

Mr Newland said he had cut his debt levels to make himself more financially secure, selling "millions of dollars" of underperforming investment property.

He advised other people to also reduce their debt.

This post looks like a press release to me. But it couldn't be - humbug is misspelt.

Comment

That book was released 4 years ago.....
      DFTBA

Comment

Is it meant to be Humbug, Hambug, or Hamberg.

I read Olly’s book. I do remember while reading it, I did eat a Hamburger.

Last edited by exnzpat; 13-03-2008, 10:20 AM.
        Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think he meant a property collapsed in Hamburg.

Perhaps it was a hambag shop.

Comment

No, No. It was an interview done over the phone:

People who see the hit Juno Movie will walk out of the cinema thinking simply one thing... I WANT THAT Hamburger Phone. The Hamburger phone - what else can w...
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

In rlpye

I wash drunk (hic) at the time I shed that (hic) and the marsket is going to (hic) boom forever and ever.
              But pleash note that I was not as drunk as thinkle peep (hic)
              OllyN [email protected]
              Independent Property Consultant
              Residential and Commercial Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by OllyN View Post
                I wash drunk (hic) at the time I shed that (hic) and the marsket is going to (hic) boom forever and ever.

As long as you weren’t drinking wine from a bottle that had a screw cap, you will be forgiven.
                Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think a hambug is the tummy ache you get from eating too much leftover Xmas ham.

Comment

waiting for the sequil - 'the roperty boom'. Must be due out soon.

Comment

Scooby Do ..where are you?
                      RedWing

Still Learning.............

Comment

Yeah Right

According to a real estate agent I spoke to recently here in Hamilton, the property market is fine. A little soft perhaps but that's to be expected with all the negative media coverage right? Yeah Right!

Comment

Originally posted by OllyN View Post
                          Very funny.

Almost as funny as Landmark Corporation?

Almost as funny as the asset/property swaps between the listed property companies in 1986 and 1987 at ever inflated prices?

As funny as buying a property for $10m and swapping it for another similar property at $15m? Then, both companies recording huge gains?

Very very funny, huh?

Comment

Humbug, Hambug, or Hamberg.... or Homburg

Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                            Is it meant to be Humbug, Hambug, or Hamberg.

I read Olly’s book. I do remember while reading it, I did eat a Hamburger.
                            I published Olly's book. I do remember while editing it, I wore a Homburg.

Hugo Resinger holding a fashionable grey Homburg hat, 1907. (source: Wikipedia)

At the APIA meeting on Tuesday ANZ's Cameron Bagrie emphasised how the longevity of the latest boom confounded all the pundits and economic analysts -- including him. It went on about two years longer than it should have, he said. Other economists/commentators, including Olly, have said they got the timing wrong. Even the effervescent Keiran Trass ran seminars in 2004 called "Cash in on the Property Slump". The timing has been tricky.
                            Peter Aranyi
                            Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
                              Very funny.

Almost as funny as Landmark Corporation?

Almost as funny as the asset/property swaps between the listed property companies in 1986 and 1987 at ever inflated prices?

As funny as buying a property for $10m and swapping it for another similar property at $15m? Then, both companies recording huge gains?

Very very funny, huh?
                              Not funny.
                              Last edited by zealandlord; 15-03-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X