Header Ad Module

Collapse

CRASH! The Fat Lady opens Down Under!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gatekeeper
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2004
    • 1542

    #1

    CRASH! The Fat Lady opens Down Under!

    Full article at http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/ed...2008/0229.html

    CRASH! The Fat Lady opens Down Under!
    The Southern lands’ Property Bubble Burstsby John Needham, The Daniel Code Report | February 29, 2008
    Print
    As Australia and New Zealand this week took the last step out on the precipice of fiscal self immolation it is clear that the strands of property and financial engineering mania I have been describing for you in the “Yarns from Down Under” series (see FSO archives) are now fully entwined. The funeral pyre for our property and credit markets has been lit. As usual the executioner, always seeking anonymity behind the traditional executioner’s mask is the Four Pillars, the oligarchic federally protected banks of Australia and New Zealand.

    For this evening’s performance folks, we bring you live from the Opera House Down Under the fabled Fat Ladies playing Brünnhilde in this long running economic cycle’s “Ride of the Valkyries”, Act III from Wagner’s Die Walkure.

    Ride of the Valkyries is probably best known to you as the music used by the 1979 movie “Apocalypse Now”. In real life it is one of the world’s great operas. In Valkyries, Brünnhilde is traditionally represented as a large lady wearing a Viking winged or horned helmet, an especially appropriate metaphor. Before this performance is over, many will feel those horns. In the opera-house, the “Ride”, which takes around eight minutes, begins when the curtain rises to reveal a mountain peak where four of the eight Valkyrie sisters of Brünnhilde have gathered in preparation for the transportation of fallen heroes to Valhalla. This too is part of our story as some heroes of the great property bubble in Australia and New Zealand are already fallen and merely await disposal. Others are queuing to get to the mountain, still blissfully unaware of the purpose of the Valkyrie sisters. Many more will be coming.

    You don’t have to worry about missing this show. Unlike its 8 minute pop in Die Walkure, our story of the conflagration of the Down Under property bubble is booked solid for 8 years and will likely have several encores!
    Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It
  • McDuck
    Fanatical
    • Apr 2005
    • 4377

    #2
    lol...strange use of the phrase.

    normally used to mean "anything can happen" untill the close.

    but in this case has been used to mean "it's closing time".

    good spin I suppose.

    odd though.

    Comment

    • drelly
      Fanatical
      • Jan 2004
      • 5838

      #3
      "It's not over until the fat lady sings"

      She's singing... it's over.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

      Comment

      • zealandlord
        Freshie
        • Feb 2008
        • 40

        #4
        Yawnnnnnnnnnnn .....

        ... full employment, lack of investment alternatives and plenty of Asian/Middle eastern money looking to buy Australasian properties .....

        .... don't think it's the fat lady singing. More like vultures hoping that the fat lady is singing.

        Comment

        • Davo36
          Fanatical
          • Sep 2007
          • 8450

          #5
          Originally posted by Gatekeeper View Post
          Gatekeeper, I followed the link and read some of the article. Do you know who the financier is he talks about? The one that is falling over? Mentioned under the heading "This week the other shoe dropped. 20% interest is the new Prime" ?

          David
          Squadly dinky do!

          Comment

          • Gatekeeper
            Fanatical
            • Jan 2004
            • 1542

            #6
            I don't know Davo.
            Who is the biggest non-bank financier in NZ?
            Whose advertising has been in your face the past six months?
            Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

            Comment

            • kiwi2
              Freshie
              • Mar 2005
              • 74

              #7
              David,
              I asked myself the same question after reading John's long articles and came up with Hanover...but couldn't work out the Soth Island property developer of 40 years who they have put to the wall?

              Any ideas who he is talking about?

              What do you think of his "Daniel code" ?
              Cheers,
              Grant.

              Comment

              • Gatekeeper
                Fanatical
                • Jan 2004
                • 1542

                #8
                I have a friend looking at Danielcode at the moment. Just playing on paper at this stage, but I'll let you know what he thinks when he's had a good go at it.

                Too scarey for me I'm afraid, I'm far too conservative
                Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

                Comment

                • kiwi2
                  Freshie
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 74

                  #9
                  Thanks for your post Gatekeeper...it will interesting to hear what your friend thinks about it.
                  Not sure its for me either really !
                  What other interesting web sites to you read, along with the one from John?
                  Cheers.

                  Comment

                  • Gatekeeper
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 1542

                    #10
                    My favourite is Nouriel Roubini's http://rgemonitor.com

                    It's very expensive to subscribe (thousands), but you can read his very regular blogs and some very wise (amongst others) comments, and a few articles.

                    For general stuff I like http://financialsense.com and http://safehaven.com

                    If you like tough talking/alternative (and a good laugh) try Karma banque http://www.karmabanque.com/
                    and listen to some of Max Kaisers radio shows.
                    Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

                    Comment

                    • kiwi2
                      Freshie
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 74

                      #11
                      Vinaka...thanks in fijian. btw did u get my pm

                      Comment

                      • Gatekeeper
                        Fanatical
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 1542

                        #12
                        Yep, sorry been chasing Basel II this morning
                        Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

                        Comment

                        • Travellerev
                          Freshie
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 47

                          #13
                          Another fine site for financial analysis and comments

                          Originally posted by Gatekeeper View Post
                          My favourite is Nouriel Roubini's http://rgemonitor.com

                          It's very expensive to subscribe (thousands), but you can read his very regular blogs and some very wise (amongst others) comments, and a few articles.

                          For general stuff I like http://financialsense.com and http://safehaven.com

                          If you like tough talking/alternative (and a good laugh) try Karma banque http://www.karmabanque.com/
                          and listen to some of Max Kaisers radio shows.
                          Thanks for those links. I like Nouriel Roubini's site as well. Others often publish his work integrally on their sites. I managed to link to this one
                          I also like the daily reckoning an Aussie site.

                          Comment

                          • Davo36
                            Fanatical
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 8450

                            #14
                            Yeah I reckon Hanover too.

                            I also don't know who the developer is.

                            David
                            Squadly dinky do!

                            Comment

                            • ream
                              Addicted
                              • May 2007
                              • 772

                              #15
                              The only household names I can think of are Westfield (re malls) and possibly Dave Henderson as an individual, but would either of those fit the story?

                              Comment

                              Working...