Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double glazing toilet, en suite, and bathroom

Hi there

Is it worth double glazing toilet, en suite, and bathroom?

I would think no given those rooms tend to have windows open to air it out every now and then. Also, there isn't really much heat that goes into those rooms. Doors of those rooms tend to be closed especially during winter to conserve heat and redirect to more important rooms like bedrooms.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

I think you have answered your own question.

Comment

if you are building new you have to

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        if you are building new you have to
        I'm planning to retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingCloud View Post
          I think you have answered your own question.
          Yeah, I figured too. I'm open to factor in other opinions before making final decision.

Comment

Why wouldn't you?
            If you are going to the trouble of double glazing the house - do every room.
            To skimp on the bathroom because not much heat goes to the room is just stupid.
            If you can't afford to do the whole house, then that would be ok.
            But if you have the money then do the job properly and double glaze every window.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
              Why wouldn't you?
              Agreed.

The bathroom generates a lot of steam of course and the first place condensation will form is on the windows. If your bathrooms are on the south wall of the house condensation will often remain on the windows all day is colder months. Double glazing will eliminate this.

Comment

the principle of insulation is to provide an envelope floor walls ceiling,,,, the double glazing completes that envelope. If part of the house in uninsulated then this creates the heat leak and you will have cold bathrooms and toilets?

you didnt say what area you are in? if north of central north island then perhaps there will be no benifit and certainly not cost effective (but sound insulation is improved)

as regards the condensation of windows this is a consequence of moisture in the air(that will remain and create damp) and if the windows have condensation drains or are sash windows the water drains to the exterior and is actually a way of getting water out of the house. This is not considered properly.

Comment

The fun starts when you have to choose which type of double glazed windows to use (if you're replacing windows). There's frames with thermal break, low E windows, inert gas fillers , and then there's the type of frame, wood, aluminun, pvc - not sure if you have the same decisions to make with retrofit windows.

cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                  X