No announcement yet.

Fencing and Retaining walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeees, Jim, you sound a bit surprised at that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
      LBP is no guarantee of not being a cowboy, its not that hard to get, its just a moneymaking scheme for some govt dept, i have recently sent my cheque away, all they want is your money
      It's hard to get if you haven't done the time like many cowboys that pass themselves off as builders. Hardest part is recording the points you need for the training etc, but then I guess its not alot different to what drainlayers, plumbers do.

Comment

We have a retaining wall between our properties. neighbours section is sloping towards mine so we have retaining wall starting from 0.5m to 2 meters across the length of the section separating us. Ever since neighbour has built another dwelling on the rear of his section I noticed the retaining wall is buckling under the load of the extra earthworks.

Is the council responsible or the owner or both owners have to share the costs
        Last edited by BlueSky; 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
          We have a retaining wall between our properties. neighbours section is sloping towards mine so we have retaining wall starting from 0.5m to 2 meters across the length of the section separating us. Ever since neighbour has built another dwelling on the rear of his section I noticed the retaining wall is buckling under the load of the extra earthworks.

Is the council responsible or the owner or both owners have to share the costs
          Probably yours as its not affecting the neighbour at the rear. Common problem earth movement and insurance not interested nor the Council. JUst looked at a house for sale whereby the deck was adjoined to the retaining wall and to the house and movement had pushed the house off its piles by about 100mm. Big job Jonesy to fix!

Comment

it is a council issue as they are supposed to protect other property from building work,

but resolution depends on boundaries and type of title

you should start your own topic??

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              it is a council issue as they are supposed to protect other property from building work,

Unfortunately movement of land has become a really big issue in Auckland. Clay shrinking in summer and then expanding over winter when saturated. As its not caused by a major event like an earthquake the insurance companies are not interested. I know that on Council records at Rodney there is a record of the clay types and what areas they relate to on hand.
              Have just come across in a rental property a collapsed pipe inside a rib raft floor built 2007. Shrinkage of the clay has caused this as well as cracking inside and outside on the solid plaster exterior.
              Once again traditional type construction of timber piles and weatherboard cladding is proving to be a winner. You watch this will take over from leaky homes claims, in Auckland anyway.

Comment

Unfortunately movement of land has become a really big issue in Auckland
                it isnt becoming an issue.... it always has been someone has forgotten to allow for the movement?

That ribraft should have been piled to good ground away from the affected surface layer

Comment

Thanks - new thread http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...339#post350339

Comment

Its not clay, its the loading so council as they signed it off?

Comment

it isnt becoming an issue.... it always has been someone has forgotten to allow for the movement?

That ribraft should have been piled to good ground away from the affected surface layer
                      Dead flat site in the middle of Takapuna, didn't require driven piles. Is just a floating pod floor.
                      Movement is caused by shrinkage and expansion of clay and it is becoming an issue. Whether that's because there's more of it happening or if its because people are now more aware.

Comment

Dead flat site in the middle of Takapuna, didn't require driven piles. Is just a floating pod floor.
                        Movement is caused by shrinkage and expansion of clay and it is becoming an issue
                        still expansive clay issue so needed specific design

Sorry, we couldn't find the page that you were looking for.  Please use our search finder.

Council may have stuffed up? as also in this retailing wall issue

Comment

If I'm a Chinese builder with LPB or whatever qualifications, I would be building houses, or project manage housing constructions, ie where the big money is.

Building fences are waste of time for Chinese builders, qualified builders.

But then again, I'm not a builder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                            If I'm a Chinese builder with LPB or whatever qualifications, I would be building houses, or project manage housing constructions, ie where the big money is.

Building fences are waste of time for Chinese builders, qualified builders.

But then again, I'm not a builder.
                            Who said there was big money for builders in developments? Most builders I know that worked in these situations had a contract price offered to them and they usually took it because even though the hourly rate was less it was consistent work. Alot of project managers these days don't know a hammer from a nail gun. In fact in ChCh you can be a PM without ever having worked in the construction industry. As long as you know how to read and fill in a gantt chart you're sweet.

Comment

still expansive clay issue so needed specific design

Sorry, we couldn't find the page that you were looking for.  Please use our search finder.

Council may have stuffed up? as also in this retailing wall issue
                              House built 2007, that brochure is dated 2012 post earthquakes. When we moved to ChCh in 2012 nobody built down there using a raft floor, even once a company from Wellington moved there (RFL) and started building them many housing companies still didn't know anything about them until the dorklanders educated them.

Comment

what has Chch got to do with this
                                Movement is caused by shrinkage and expansion of clay and it is becoming an issue. Whether that's because there's more of it happening or if its because people are now more aware.
                                I think this side track is in regard to Auckland Clays the problem has been known for many years?

Comment

Working...
                                X