Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neigbours trees impacting on our way of life.. Rights???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neigbours trees impacting on our way of life.. Rights???

I wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully this is the right thread.
    We are looking at buying a property that has a row of pitisporums planted along the fence line. They are now two meters high. They are planted in a way that they are growing in to the fence and as the trunks get bigger they will impact upon the fence.

They are going to block out a lof of the sun light during the winter which is going to be a real pain as the neighbor also already have huge gum trees doing that anyway..

The current owner has approached the owners of the property and were told to go away.

My first thoughts are spray pack and night time.

But just before I do, I thought it might be wise to ask about a persons rights in this instance.

Be very careful taking the terrorism approach.

Who owns the fence (is in on either side or directly ON the boundary line). That will go a long way to answering what you can do. You are entitled to cut the branches that hang onto your side. I don't believe you can top them, but the sunlight issue comes into play there - not sure of the reqm for that thru official channels.

Comment

This wouldn't even make that awful TV program "Neighbours at war"
      Instead it would have to be renamed " Well, at some stage they may be my Neighbours, how do I go to war"

Comment

Neg sale price down leave some cash and have a conversation with the next door neighbour everyone has a price...

Comment

This has info about a fence destroyed by neighbour's actions.

And this link re trees.

Comment

awesome read Artemis.. And much appreciated.
            "Even if your neighbour's tree has caused no damage, but is simply being a nuisance, perhaps by blocking sun or light, they may still be liable for the cost of getting the nuisance resolved. This is because tree owners should take reasonable steps to stop the trees interfering with their neighbour's enjoyment of their own properties."

Comment

Yes nothing like moving into your new house with P'd off neighbours.

Comment

I'll clear something up for you all. If a neighbor is that ignorant and care that little for their fellow neighbors that they would plant a huge row of trees along your fence line and purposely block out all your sunlight, they are already at war with you..
                The fact the current neighbor has already approached them and been told to stuff off enforces this fact even more.

Comment

Please do not buy the place.
                  It's not suitable for you.
                  You will hate living there.

Comment

I'll fix that for you Bob. :-)

"Please do not buy the place.
                    It's not suitable for you.
                    Your neighbor will hate you living there"

Comment

if you buy it get a massive dog and encourage it to bark all day

Comment

Jim0, great idea... And I was thinking a huge ass stereo that plays loud music during the middle of the night.. lol

Comment

We are deliberately planting trees / bushes along our boundary to give us privacy, this will benefit both us and our neighbours. Given our ones will only get to 3m high.

Comment

You could of course offer to get them topped yourself--after that ,its just like a hedge and easy to deal with. In terms of whether to buy the house I would imagine it would not be that much of a major cost (Ive done it myself with the same type of tree on our own place)

Comment

PS--never underestimate the value of being on good terms with your neighbor(if possible) --(its not that hard for you to get your sun and your neighbor still getting their privacy--negotiate)

Comment

Working...
                              X