Internal fascia style guttering problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal fascia style guttering problems

Hi all, Im hoping someone here can advise me whether its possible to retro fit some sort of overflow system on our internal fascia style guttering which is overflowing into the house in heavy rain !

Could be a very big problem in the making if its not already.

thanks very much to anyone who can give me some ideas

Dear frazzled fozzle

Have you approached the company that sells this system to see if they have a resolution. I am thinking that you may need an external rainhead with an overflow pipe. It is common in commercial builds. I am presuming that the gutters are clear of leaves and debris

Cheers

Charlotte 30

Comment

Yeah a rainhead is a good idea.

And keeping them clear of leaves is really really important. If they block up over the downpipe, you'll have water inside.

You could also install other downpipes along the gutter if possible to help take the water away faster.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

We had a similar problem and installed a much larger rainhead and a wider downpipe.

Comment

is it the same system as in the "is it a leaky" thread

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

metal facia with pvc or metal gutter behind?

if so they are problematic prone to over flow and undersized gutter for position

need over flows and extra downpipes and careful gutter cleaning

Comment

We had this problem in the first house we built. A great big long roof with only 2 down pipes. When it rained hard the water could not flow over the side of the fascia so it poured inside under the eaves. The solution then was to put 2 additional overflow vents in the existing spouting and it fell like a waterfall onto the ground.
            This was 24 years ago and I would never use a system like that again and I am surprised if its still sold. My suggestion would be to replace the fascia and guttering if you can.

Comment

Thanks alot for the replys. Idealy we should replace the guttering but its a big f
              job and not cheap we will look at installing overflow outlets and see if at helps.

Thanks again

Comment

check the gutter for leaks if it is PVC the joints sometime pull apart and expansion joiner may rupture
                keep gutter very clean.
                Look for low point in the gutter as this is where overflow occur.
                Consider putting overflows away from outlets

Comment

Has anyone tried installing Overflows and resolved the issue.
                  Also some sections are rusted so has tiny holes - would replacing with PVC and installing overflows work

Comment

depends on whether you can get pvc into the same space and have it collect all the water coming off the roof, ie no water will reach the current metal gutter (with holes in it.)
                    On my place it has butynol lined gutters and few outlets, which flooded in heavy rain.
                    On one straight section, the single outlet was a standard rectangular 100x50 dropper, but it was horizontal, through the wall and connected directly to the downpipe. It was prone to partial blockage by leaves and therefore water would build up in the gutter.
                    Hard to know for sure, but i also suspect that if the downpipe filled, it would backup the water on the roof.
                    I cut the hole in the wall large enough to slide pvc guttering through all the way to the other side of the roof(ie on top of / sitting in the entire length of butynol guttering), leaving the open end protruding out the side of the wall, over the top of a newly installed rainhead, with overflows.

The water flows much easier in pvc than in butynol, and debris tends to flow out easier as well, keeping the gutter fairly clear.
                    Even in heavy rain the water gets out quickly, and doesnt back up & flood.

On another section there was just one downpipe, and when that got clogged with leaves, the water built up and flooded inside the eaves.
                    I had earlier also installed a rainhead on that downpipe (at the same time as the other section), but leaves in the gutter slowed the water getting to the rainhead.
                    so i installed another downpipe with the height of the dropper being just above the floor level of the gutter (at that particular end, which was already higher than the main outlet end) so that the water normally goes to the main downpipe and only flows out of the second one if the level gets too high, eg if the main one is blocked.
                    The second downpipe is on the other end of a wall that is quite a way from the main stormwater pipes, so is piped under the deck and into an open channel in the garden, hence the reasoning to use it as a secondary / overflow outlet rather than the main outlet.
                    Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Thanks Keith appreciate it. The overflow only occured once in the last 5 years so I am guessing the gutter was filled with debris. Nevertheless will check it all when pulling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
                        Has anyone tried installing Overflows and resolved the issue.
                        Also some sections are rusted so has tiny holes - would replacing with PVC and installing overflows work
                        My PPOR has this guttering system and at each of the downpipes there is also an overflow. It looks to be a standard feature of the original design and not an add on, but I'm not sure about that.

In really heavy rain there are waterfalls coming out the overflows and I just hope that there is no water going back into the eaves. I have tested for moisture after the rain and there is only one place where there is moisture present. So yes the overflows seem to work. I will be retro fitting an additional overflow in the area where there is moisture present.

Comment

Working...
                        X