Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic garage doors

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the cost to replacing a garage door with an automatic opening one - it is just a single garage. Just a ballpark figure would be very helpful
    Thanks!

hi. not sure if this is much help, 18 months ago I replaced a old single garage bi fold door with a new sectional zinc coated one from dominator Ltd. I got the door at a reduced price as it was a size incorrectly made for a former order. The door was $400.00 (new price was around $700). I fitted a merlin automatic opener which was purchased from Mitre 10 for $350.00. This also came with remote opener. I did the labour myself and it took a full day to install so i am not sure what the cost of fitting would be. The new door vastly improved the garage. You may find used doors advertised in the classifieds, or possibly on trademe, but would probably be tilt doors as sectional doors are fairly recent.

Comment

We're got the Dominator brand of garage door - operated by remote and rolls up - not flip out. http://dominator.co.nz/

Cheers,

Donna :P
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi Donna,

I'm thinking of replacing the old tilting garage door (single garage) with an automatic one. What about Dominator do you like? Have you compared it with other brands? How much did you pay including the installation work?

Comment

Hi Miss

Just been looking at an automatic door opener at Mitre 10. Price around $390. Will do either tiltadoor or roller door.

We have a door opener on one of our garage doors. We have two openers for it. One stays in the house and the other is in the car. Replacement door openers are around $60 each.

Regards
          "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Make sure your garage has enough head room. Enough room to take the door and enough room to take the motor unit.

I have done this exercise twice and it was an issue both times. The second time there was insufficent head room and I had to abandon the idea of replacing the door. Bum.

Comment

Make sure your garage has enough head room. Enough room to take the door and enough room to take the motor unit.
              Regarding this, when looking at properties with the garage underneath, we always check the height of the basement. This is particularly easy with concrete block basements. Apart from measuring the height, an easy way is to go by the rows of blocks from ground to the upstairs floor level. A rough guide is 12 rows of blocks = approx. 8 ft. This is especially useful when intending to add value to the basement.

Sapphire

Comment

Thanks all! I am pretty sure there will be more than enough room at the top. Sounds like we should be able to get it done for not too much money and it will be worth it (it is for our own property!)

Comment

Hi miss

Have a look at this site:

It is American but the pictures look like my one.

Regards
                  "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

does mitre 10 sell replacement remotes? i lost mine the other day!!

Comment

Hi Threeta

Not sure about Mitre 10 but Bunnings does. They cost about $60 each.

Also try here:
                      Auckland
                      14a Vega Place
                      Mairangi Bay
                      Auckland
                      FreeFax 0800-650-368
                      Ph 09-478-2323
                      Fax 09-478-4811
                      [email protected]

Christchurch
                      127 Montreal Street
                      Sydenham
                      Christchurch
                      Ph 03-379-5509
                      Fax 03-379-3282
                      FreeFax 0800-833-282
                      [email protected]

Or: http://www.garagedoorrepairs.co.nz/

Regards

Comment

seems like $60 is taking the mickey - you get 2 remotes and an internal remote - i.e. $180 worth of remotes with a new door opener, which costs all up $350?? anyone out there found a better deal? just my 0.02c worth - i mean you can buy a smoke detector with the same 9 volt battery, which is designed to save your life, for $10!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X