Replacing Electrical Fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Electrical Fittings

I have been advised to replace all electrical fittings - light switches and power-points in any rehab. What is the deciding factor on this? - is there some year at which the standard changed?.

I am about to renovate a house built in 1989, and later additions in 2000. Would you recommend I keep the current switch and light plates or replace them - they all look perfectly okay.

Many thanks
    Revonator

Hmmmm cost is pretty small to replace the switches and boxes, and it looks alot better when they are replaced, kinda ruins a reno after all that work to have old light switches etc.

I'd replace them ...

Comment

Many thanks for your prompt response Shane

Comment

Fittings or Faceplates?

How do the present ones look? Decor 'fit' and
        wear & tear? My guess is that 89-2000 styles
        of faceplates will not have changed much. If
        so, there may be little advantage for the cost -
        both the fittings and the sparky unless you
        are going to DIY. (Which may be dodgy)

Besides, replacing fittings seems unduly costly
        and drastic. Changing faceplates - far less so.

Comment

Thanks for your response Perry.

The current face plates look exactly the same as the new ones, hence my query. I was wondering if perhaps there was something in the actual fitting that had changed in code etc. There are 22 switches in total with a number of 2 way and 3-4 multi switches which are quite pricey to buy.

Comment

I don't know of anything that would
            retrospectively apply to your situation.
            Take the face plates off, give them
            a good clean, then put 'em back and
            save your money for other things.

There are covers to use, in place of
            the face plates, while painting/papering.
            I have a box full. Somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Revonator View Post

I was wondering if perhaps there was something in the actual fitting that had changed in code etc.
              No, there would be no practical reason that you would have been advised to change the fittings, purely aesthetic.

Are they the type that has a little plastic cover over the entire plate? If so you could just replace the cover, if they need replacing.

Comment

A few switches can soon add up - and if you replace the sockets also it ramps up really fast

Comment

Dont chnage them

Comment

Thank you so much all for your advice - much appreciated. A bit of Jif will do just nicely. I can spend the money better elsewhere.

Revonator

Comment

Yeah, they're not all that cheap. Powerpoints, dimmers, plugs etc, somewhere between $16-$40 apiece, multiply by 3-4 per room, multiply by number of rooms, and you're looking down the barrel of $1000 or thereabouts, for little gain imo.

Comment

As Perry have said... give it a good clean. You'll be surprised with the new cleaning products available.
                        Will be as good as new.

Comment

I think the key is whether the switches turn on/off ok.

I'm currently doing reno older house at moment. A lot has been rewired and has new switches. But in some heavy use areas like laundry they haven't. And these are the (7Os rounded style i think type of switches, not original. Prob is though the switch is permanently on, you try to turn off and flicks back to on. Under this scenario and because in laundry to my way of thinking is best to replace as could potentially short and then have bigger prob.

Agree cost of swtiches does add up, but shouldn't change just for aesthetics

Comment

Agreed...on areas of high usage. It's better to replace, than to have someone be hurt.
                            Choosing a much better switch or utility for this high use area, a better or high quality switch is a must.

cheers,

Comment

I have found in older houses that if you start replacing 1 light switch (particularly say a bedroom) then it is better to pay the electrician to replace them all at the same time otherwise the callout fees get a bit anoying. Bit like having the plumber replace a tap washer then come back to replace another - very expensive tap washers.

Comment

Working...
                              X