Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders get licence cards

Builders get licence cards

Builders will be required to carry a licence card from November 2007, as part of the ongoing reform of the building and construction sector.

Building and Construction Minister Clayton Cosgrove told the Registered Master Builders Federation Annual Conference this week that voluntary licensing for designers, site leads and carpenters will start from November this year, with other trades to follow.

"Builders are practical, down-to-earth people, and after all of the months of consultation with the industry about how the licensing regime will work, the release of the Licence Card is another tangible step showing that licensing is actually on the way", Mr Cosgrove said.

"Licensing will lift skills and professionalism, and enhance accountability in the industry, and raise consumer protection, while at the same time, protect every Kiwi's do-it-yourself (DIY) right to have a go. As a first step, it is intended to help ensure that people doing core work in the building sector are competent. That is our bottom line," Mr Cosgrove said.

"In the longer term, it will raise skill levels across the sector. I envisage that in years to come, once the licensing system is up and running, eventually new entrants to licensing may be required to have completed apprenticeships or trade training."

"Licence holders will quickly gain a marketing advantage in terms of enhanced credibility with customers, clients or employers. It would be a brave person indeed who would undervalue the credibility and professional standing that will come with being a licensed builder."

Mr Cosgrove also reminded builders of the government's position on do-it-yourself builders.
    "Let me make our position crystal clear; we have absolutely no intention of undermining the Kiwi DIY tradition of having a go. I have given the public a commitment that DIY will be protected, and I will honour that commitment."

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Originally posted by muppet View Post
    Builders get licence cards

Builders will be required to carry a licence card from November 2007,

Building and Construction Minister Clayton Cosgrove told the Registered Master Builders Federation Annual Conference this week that voluntary licensing for designers, site leads and carpenters will start from November this year, with other trades to follow.
    Sorry to be pendantic, but at this stage it is only voluntary licensing from November for the above NZ building interests, not compulsory. So they don't have to carry a licence card from November 2007...

However let me share with you our experiences in NSW as a fully licenced trade contractor.

Unless the home owner (or main contractor) undertakes due dilgence via the search engine of our Office of Fair Trading (OFT), no one bothers to find out whether said trade being hired is licenced or not.

Come times when things go wrong, and client submits complaint to OFT, when they discover that trade is not licenced, there is nothing that OFT can do.

The Client is left to take civil legal action if they wish, however most don't bother and unlicenced trade continues on, making a mess (usually, rule of thumb stuff anyhow) and the rest of us have to fix the dud work. Not fun.
    In some instances I am aware of said home owner refusing to pay reputable tradie after fixing the problem because they feel they have "already paid once" and generally have run out of funds anyhow...

Until as such times as (our govt anyhow) does something to penalise the unlicenced fellow easily (chemical castration for some of them would be too good), the licencing system is completely pointless.

Our licencing system has been in for many years, and I hope that NZ can learn from the mistakes made here, before going down the track themselves...
    S.

Comment

Our government won't learn from your mistakes - just look at the leaky home fiasco - the top knobs knew well before it hit the headlines.
      As for the licensing - they only listen to the good parts from other countries schemes 'so they can make it appear they are doing something for the voters'

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah . . . .

Originally posted by muppet View Post
        Mr Cosgrove also reminded builders of the government's position on do-it-yourself builders.
        "Let me make our position crystal clear; we have absolutely no intention of undermining the Kiwi DIY tradition of having a go. I have given the public a commitment that DIY will be protected, and I will honour that commitment."
        All we need now is to know what is covered by
        DIY "having a go."

Hanging pictures in the lounge, perhaps? The
        W'gton woodenheads never quite fully declare
        their real intentions, do they?

Comment

No Perry they don't, but that will change no doubt...

Our system for Owner builders in NSW is you must apply for an owner builders licence prior to council approval of your "plans", and it can only be in the name of the property owner for their own residence, or duplex, as long as the property owner is going to reside in one.

Then the property owner is only allowed to have one owner builder permit every 5 years, so one way around it is to have the property in joint names with your spouse, and "take turns" every 2 1/2 years to build a residence. (only tax free way in Aust. now I am afraid, but that's another thread altogether).

Then, if you go to sell the property within 7 years of receiving "final approval" from your local council, (note not when the house was finished or the licence taken out, only 7 years from council's final approval in our case includes landscaping) you must take out home owners warranty insurance to protect future owners.

In our case, 2 years from the final approval, for both house and swimming pool, (6 years after construction mind you) we are looking at an insurance policy (discounted because of our trade associations) approx, $A6,000. cost.

After a building inspection by an "authorised and approved" building inspector that the insurance company has on their list.
          Mind you they do not accept "any" licenced builder to undertake the inspection. (its always been a point of amusement to us recently with insurance repair work that they are hiring companies who are unlicenced and recently "formed" to contract out repair work on behalf of the insurance company, we had to help one fellow down the ladder after a claim inspection, he couldn't use one )...

Finally, should "something" go wrong, the insurance company may pay on the policy to have said damage rectified, but then take legal action against the original owner builder to recoup their expense. (does that surprise you? )

Of course, all variations throughout our states (geese aren't we lucky to have so many levels of govt) but that is it in NSW and I doubt that NZ will be far behind.
          S.

Comment

Builders Pay Thirteen Million Dollars For Registration
            Jazial Crossley
            07/04/2012

More than 23,000 people have signed up to be official Licensed Building
            Practitioners, netting the government more than $13.4 million in licensing fees.
            Now who's going to carry that cost, in the end? Well, hell! That'll be the
            people building new homes, wouldn't it? That'll increase the price of all
            new homes. It'll also drag up the price of second-hand homes along with
            it, just the way increasing new car prices raises the price of second-
            hand cars. Then, instead of using the proper name of a stealth tax,
            a lie will be perpetrated that the increase in the price of housing is
            a capital gain caused by all those nasty property investors who can
            then be tarred & feathered by the ignorant populace of muddied brain.
            Last edited by Perry; 16-08-2012, 07:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

I agree Perry, just more cost and red tape.

Quite a few jobs created for people to administer all this...
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well that'll help the unemployment statistics won't it - two birds one stone.

Comment

Sure to be administered by the new super government
                  Department of Business Innovation . . . . too.

Comment

my LPB cost $380 and i understand that it drops back to $200 ish a year, so that isnt going to make a huge difference but what will affect people building is the whole liability issue, i was working on a 1.2mil renovation a little while ago and asked the forman running the job if he was going to get licensed, his exact words were F#@# OFF i dont get paid enough to carry the responsibility of anything going wrong on this place for the next 30 years

Comment

Irrespective of the individual's cost, there will be $13.4M
                      added to the cost of NZ construction, henceforth.

Comment

13.4 mill will be chump change compared to yearly NZ building costs thats probably the daily smoko bill

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                          Irrespective of the individual's cost, there will be $13.4M
                          added to the cost of NZ construction, henceforth.
                          Less than the cost of one house in NZ.

Comment

W. H. A. A. A. A. T ? ? ?

One NZ house costs more
                            than $13.4 million dollars?
                            Where do you live?

Comment

Alexander Abramov ; Helena Bay, Northland.
                              Mark Hotchin ; Parasite Drive; Auckland.

Easy north of $20m

Plus I forget what Kim's little rental in Coatesville cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X