• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dean,

That was your 1,666 post. Spooky.

Paul.

Comment

Have you met 668? He's the neighbour of the beast. :-)

Comment

What about 665? He lives across from the beast. Sometimes he has to call noise control on account of the wild parties.

Turns out the beast is renting. He's 1000years in arrears, but the landlord can't do anything because the people at TT have sold their soul to him.

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
          Hi Perry. God is no myth. I'd be dead without Him. His life, death on the cross and resurrection are all easily proven historically. No myths!!
          I disagree. It matters not whether you refer to Allah,
          Vishnu, Ahura Mazda, Yahweh, Osiris or any other of
          the innumerable options. All are confabulations and
          myths. And like all myths, empirical proof is not available
          for any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
            What about 665? He lives across from the beast. Sometimes he has to call noise control on account of the wild parties.

Turns out the beast is renting. He's 1000years in arrears, but the landlord can't do anything because the people at TT have sold their soul to him.
            I love it!!!

That's great. Just what we needed today some humour.

Pity this thread seems to be heading straight to hell.

Or at least out of the frying pan and into the eternal fires of hell.

Steve
            Last edited by Stevegoodey; 25-10-2006, 10:46 PM. Reason: smelling and grampar

Comment

Originally posted by Ryutaro View Post
              PT must be turning over quite a little profit to be so keen to save it's little RM promoting business.
              Ouchy Ryutaro.

For the record both myself and Gerrard are moderators here at PT. Neither of us, as you can see from the posts in this and other threads are all that keen on promoting RM. I think RM do some useful things, but I take serious issue with many of their practises and have expressed that both here (Look at my posts!) and on RM's site.

RM is one, among many of our advertisers. They do not get special privledges in the forum because of this. In fact I believe they may well be one of the most heavily moderated users, albeight mainly for inappropriately placing posts that are advertising in the main forums rather than the caveat emptor forum. A practise that thankfully they seem to have presently discontinued.

Cheers
              David
              Last edited by Monid; 26-10-2006, 12:20 AM. Reason: Removed reference to Veronica's post since my inference was mistaken
              New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Monid View Post
                Ouchy Ryutaro. & for that matter Veronica

For the record both myself and Gerrard are moderators here at PT. Neither of us, as you can see from the posts in this and other threads are all that keen on promoting RM. I think RM do some useful things, but I take serious issue with many of their practises and have expressed that both here (Look at my posts!) and on RM's site.

RM is one, among many of our advertisers. They do not get special privledges in the forum because of this. In fact I believe they may well be one of the most heavily moderated users, albeight mainly for inappropriately placing posts that are advertising in the main forums rather than the caveat emptor forum. A practise that thankfully they seem to have presently discontinued.

Cheers
                David
                Que, Where do I figure, here!!!!!

VM

Comment

My Apologies Veronica I took your comment:

Originally posted by Veronica
                  Funny, the truthful threads keep being deleted - two in two days. Those traits mentioned by an ex-business partner are definitely ringing bells.
                  To be implying much the same as Ryutaro. Clearly you were not, so I have edited my post accordingly.

Again, my apologies.

David
                  New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

On the propertytalk bias front please see here for clarification:

David

Comment

No offense meant David. I didn't state the moderators promote RM.

As an avid reader of PT over here in my neck of the woods, I commend all the moderators for their time in moderating the forum.

Sadly, it seems to me that this forum is trolled by RM. Their posts are either self-promotive or evasive and written in a disrespectful tone. I just can't see for the life of me why PT needs to be supported financially by a company with such practises.

Anyway, if it were up to me I wouldn't accept them as a customer and would give them a lengthy ban from posting on the forum. Then again, I'm not the one who pays the bills.

All the best

Ryutaro

Comment

Ah, well then none taken My apologies for misintepreting you.

As for the presence of various parties on these forums, well you have to take the good with the bad. Banning of many different individuals or groups has been discussed by the mods many times, but every time it seems this argument wins out: It is better for our members to see precisely how various groups and individuals are willing to behave in a public forum, even though that means exposing our members to yet another tedious round of he said/she said.

Its part and parcel of being an open and free place to discuss things related to property investing, which was what made me an avid reader of PT

As is often misattributed to Voltaire:
                        Originally posted by ~Voltaire
                        I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
                        And all those other sentiments of liberal discussions

David
                        Last edited by Monid; 26-10-2006, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Oh and before someone asks what the Tilde (~) is, its a classic logical sign for negation. (Paul isn't this a brillant way to stealthly teach formal logic! You got the Ampersand earlier, and now I've snuck in the tilde.)

Thus "~Voltaire" is a way of saying "not Voltaire"

David

Comment

Didnt Theroux say that?

Comment

Good post David. I didn't look at it in that sense. I'm all for free speaking.

Being an o/s investor I have a major lack of time when buying. When I first came across PT(great english study) I ordered a freepack from RM before having a read through the forums thinking this would be a very good way to make make my purchases. By the time It actually arrived it took mere minutes till it went straight in the trash can. So, I guess how one or a group behaves on a public forum is important.

How an individual or group presents themselves is a key factor,personally and professionally to get my time or business.

Ryutaro

Comment

Captain Crab:
                                I don't know, I believe it is from a fictional novel which features Voltaire as a character, which is why it is traditionally misattributed to Voltaire.

Ryutaro:
                                Hmm, you know I had absolutely no idea you were an english as a second language writer... I don't think you need the practise on PT

I'm now trying to guess country by the name you have picked, it looks vaguely Korean to me? Feel free to not answer as it is mere ideal curiosity.

My own fairly strong views on freedom of speech come from reading John Stuart Mills at a youngish age. I'd recommend that everyone reads "On Liberty" Its fantastic, easy to read and well argued. In fact it wins my if you only read one philosophy text in your life this should be it.

Wikipedia has a good summary of why its relevant in this context:
                                Originally posted by Wikipedia: Mill
                                On Liberty involves an impassioned defence of free speech. Mill argues that free discourse is a necessary condition for intellectual and social progress. We can never be sure, he contends, if a silenced opinion does not contain some element of the truth. He also argues that allowing people to air false opinions is productive for two reasons. First, individuals are more likely to abandon erroneous beliefs if they are engaged in an open exchange of ideas. Second, by forcing other individuals to re-examine and re-affirm their beliefs in the process of debate, these beliefs are kept from declining into mere dogma. It is not enough for Mill that one simply has an unexamined belief that happens to be true; one must understand why the belief in question is the true one.

If you want to read the book online/or download it, it is here: http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au..._stuart/m645o/

Anyway thats enough of me philosophising at you, I'll go put the philosopher back in his cave

David

Comment

Working...
                                X