Header Ad Module

Collapse

Dodgy steel and shonky standards create new building crisis 'worse than leaky homes'

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bluecoat
    Forum Junkie
    • Feb 2015
    • 434

    #1

    Dodgy steel and shonky standards create new building crisis 'worse than leaky homes'

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...an-leaky-homes


    Why I am not surprised ...How widespread will this be ?
  • Perry
    Geriatric
    • Sep 2004
    • 16861

    #2
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

    Comment

    • Bobsyouruncle
      Banned
      • Apr 2016
      • 2340

      #3
      In the case of the steel, is this really a problem? We build complete sh*te buildings out of the cheapest nastiest chinese materials in Fiji everyday and they don't fall down or fail. Is "low grade" reinforcing steel really a problem in domestic situations?

      Comment

      • Keithw
        Fanatical
        • Oct 2008
        • 1410

        #4
        We build complete sh*te buildings out of the cheapest nastiest chinese materials in Fiji everyday and they don't fall down or fail.
        Have to laugh Dean, is that what you put in your marketing materials

        I agree, when I read that article about non flexing steel I thought this is a beatup in retaliation for cheap imports.
        Ground Floors (ie those on solid ground as opposed to over a basement) don't flex & the steel is there to hold the concrete together, so any steel has to be better than none.

        upper floors may be different- they will flex & perhaps there it will make a difference
        Last edited by Keithw; 01-11-2016, 08:53 AM.
        Food.Gems.ILS

        Comment

        • Bobsyouruncle
          Banned
          • Apr 2016
          • 2340

          #5
          Oh no I meant the royal we. I'm not building here other than helping people repair homes and building for the poor. I meant normal houses and commercial buildings are all reinforced with steel that has been lying in the weather forever and so rusty it is ridiculous. Fiji has been a dumping ground for crap from China since the big 80's bust up. And you never see any issues. I see lots of failed cement because they don't mix it properly but steel failure, never seen any.

          Comment

          Working...