X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why house prices are up and ownership is down

Why house prices are up and ownership is down

8:02 AM Friday Jul 18, 2014

New Zealand house prices are very high, compared to history and globally, according to a new report. Photos / NZ Herald.
    Blame it on the Kiwi culture of home ownership and housing investment. Blame it on the tax system. Blame it on easy access to mortgage finance.

Whatever culprit you choose, the result is the same - high house prices, compared to our incomes, compared to rents and compared to other countries.
    "There is no easy fix to New Zealand's overvalued housing market," says Shamubeel Eaqub, principal economist at the NZ Institute of Economic Research.

Read more in the Granny at
    House prices are up, home ownership is down. We all know the story, but what's really going on in real estate?
    Last edited by donna; 18-07-2014, 11:25 PM. Reason: Reduced extract
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

LOLZ....this guy must be one of the secret inner circle.

We need to remove the tax advantages of real estate investment.

He knows of the secret tax advantages that not even the IRD are aware of.

Or he is a sheltered academic with zero real world experience.

Or option 3, a blithering idiot with no clue whatsoever and probably spends most of time at davidicke.com or reading his subscription to "uncensored"

Take you pick

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

Isn't he the same guy who suggested renting is better cos he can live in a mansion he couldn't afford to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
        Isn't he the same guy who suggested renting is better cos he can live in a mansion he couldn't afford to buy?
        Yes - I always found all his articles rubbish. I'm surprised there is no other economist that nz herald could interview.
        www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
        # Property Management
        # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Probably his buddy so easy to get a story out of him when they are in need

Comment

If yields are so low, why would 45% of sales be to investors ?

Comment

An opinion from a person who doesn't own a residential property.

Salt anyone?

Comment

Since when was paying income tax on profit from property an advantage?

Comment

It's inaccurate to generalise saying 'NZ House Prices are high' when in Wellington this is not true nor is it true for many regions of NZ.

cheers

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
                    "There is no easy fix to New Zealand's overvalued housing market," says Shamubeel Eaqub, principal economist at the NZ Institute of Economic Research.
                    The reason there is no easy fix is because the housing market is not overvalued.
                    The NZ housing market is quite different to other countries.
                    As long as the NZ market is different, then the NZ housing/income/rent level ratios will be different to other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                      The reason there is no easy fix is because the housing market is not overvalued.
                      The NZ housing market is quite different to other countries.
                      As long as the NZ market is different, then the NZ housing/income/rent level ratios will be different to other countries.
                      Bob, surely you don't believe the "It's different this time..." argument???

How exactly is NZ any different?
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        How exactly is NZ any different?
                        Didn't you post that in Germany an owner can build almost anything on their property and the council can't stop them? (as long as it's well built/safe).
                        And don't you often complain about the council causing you grief by making you jump through lots of hoops/silly requests before they sign off on your developments?
                        I gather the council rules/costs are worse in NZ than other countries.
                        This adds to the cost of developing/building in NZ.

Comment

Didn't you post that in Germany an owner can build almost anything on their property and the council can't stop them? (as long as it's well built/safe).
                          And don't you often complain about the council causing you grief by making you jump through lots of hoops/silly requests before they sign off on your developments?
                          Umm yes, ok, Germany I would accept is different, but what about Ireland, Spain, the US etc.?

Or NZ in 1987?

And yes building is difficult, but getting easier thanks to the government.

I reckon all we need is for the Chinese to stop buying, or one of many unforeseen things (black swans) and we'd be toast.
                          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

NZ's planning system is almost identical to that of the UK. The UK can also be very strict in requiring new dwellings to be the same as existing, same materials, windows etc.

Comment

SE is a true muppet in my book.

He may have true smarts and a high intelect but he certainly doesnt have street smarts and wisdom, to get ahead in life for his family and himself.

He had the ability to buy a PPOR (I think he lives in Auckland) about 6 or 8 years ago, when I first heard his name and his moaning and grumbling.

Out of principle like his dodgy mate weekend at berneys he didnt want to stay in the obviously rising auckland property and now moans about auckland house prices incessantly.

He is really annoying, frankly I think he should be sacked looking at the post he holds.

And now he is playing battleship trying to sink small town NZ, by putting the boot into certain towns and calling them Zombie Town's.
                              How would you feel if your town was noted in his new book as dead and dyeing.

Comment

Working...
                              X