Header Ad Module

Collapse

The drunk, the taxi driver, and a spy camera.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • McDuck
    Fanatical
    • Apr 2005
    • 4377

    #1

    The drunk, the taxi driver, and a spy camera.

    A fairly entertaining, (hidden camera) video, of a drunk; expressing his concern over a taxi driver’s possible connection to extreme religious fundamentalism. It may not be eloquent, but it conveys the basic idea.

    It’s sort of sold by the media as a racist rant, but it seems more like religious or cultural friction to me. (As far as I’m aware, “Islam” covers (several variants) of a philosophical movement, not a “race”).

    Anyone have a video link to the very start of the trip?-(to see what kicked the whole thing off).

    See here for report.
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
  • speights boy
    Fanatical
    • Aug 2008
    • 7935

    #2
    Originally posted by mcduck View Post
    a fairly entertaining, (hidden camera) video,
    you cannot be serious !

    Totally unacceptable, no ifs, no buts.
    Last edited by speights boy; 29-07-2013, 11:40 AM.

    Comment

    • McDuck
      Fanatical
      • Apr 2005
      • 4377

      #3
      Originally posted by speights boy View Post
      [B][SIZE=3]you cannot be serious !

      Drunks are generally hard to take seriously; my judgement is on hold until I see the whole conversation. How do I know that the drunk isn't matching BS with BS?

      Comment

      • grip
        Opinionated
        • Jan 2011
        • 218

        #4
        Being drunk is no excuse. Totally unacceptable. Gregory Shuttleworth deserves to be publicly named and shamed, and prosecuted.

        Here we have 4mins and 33secs of footage filled with abuse.
        What scares me more is the fact that some Kiwis are making excuses for him by saying he's drunk and it's only BS and it's Invercargill etc etc.

        Comment

        • McDuck
          Fanatical
          • Apr 2005
          • 4377

          #5
          Originally posted by grip View Post
          Being drunk is no excuse. Totally unacceptable.

          And you’re not even curious about what happened in the previous four minutes? I am. The way the conversation runs in, leads me to suspect that there’s more to this.

          Comment

          • Leftette
            Banned
            • Jun 2013
            • 1980

            #6
            You're implying the driver did something to provoke him. 1. It's still no excuse. 2. Why would a businessman, in this case a taxi driver, do/say anything to annoy his customers (first)?

            Comment

            • McDuck
              Fanatical
              • Apr 2005
              • 4377

              #7
              Originally posted by Leftette View Post
              You're implying the driver did something to provoke him. 1. It's still no excuse. 2. Why would a businessman, in this case a taxi driver, do/say anything to annoy his customers (first)?
              I’m saying, I want to see the whole event - from the start of the pickup.

              Comment

              • Learning
                Fanatical
                • Jan 2012
                • 1142

                #8
                Hidden camera? I thought all NZ taxies had to have an active camera by law now?

                Comment

                • speights boy
                  Fanatical
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 7935

                  #9
                  Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                  I’m saying, I want to see the whole event - from the start of the pickup.
                  Let's just assume for a moment that Mr Humayun is without fault in this incident.

                  Would you still find the video "fairly entertaining" ?

                  Comment

                  • grip
                    Opinionated
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 218

                    #10
                    It's not a hidden camera.
                    The customer was informed there was a video camera running and YET he abused the taxi driver
                    He even insisted that the driver was threatening him with the video camera.

                    If you review the footage, it's clear this is not an argument or a case of the passenger being provoked. The conversation seemed casual and almost entirely one-sided abuse by the passenger.

                    Unfortunately some people need to be publicly shamed to learn their lesson.
                    Just pity his wife and kids who will now be tarred with the same racist brush.

                    Comment

                    • Mark_B
                      Addicted
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 676

                      #11
                      There's no excuse for that sort of behaviour, drunk or not.

                      I don't buy excuses like "such and such is only like that when they're drunk", or "it is only the alcohol talking". Nup. My own personal theory is that if you're a loudmouth a-hole when you're drunk, chances are you're really a loudmouth a-hole when you're sober - you're just more circumspect about it.
                      Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. Before making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

                      Comment

                      • Keys
                        Fanatical
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 6062

                        #12
                        Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                        I’m saying, I want to see the whole event - from the start of the pickup.
                        Totally agree with this standpoint on the matter.
                        https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

                        Comment

                        • Leftette
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 1980

                          #13
                          Interesting that the man himself isn't touting that viewpoint. He's all apologetic now (but still has issues with Muslims).

                          Comment

                          • grip
                            Opinionated
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 218

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                            Interesting that the man himself isn't touting that viewpoint. He's all apologetic now (but still has issues with Muslims).
                            Even if the customer was provoked, there's still no excuse for this attack.
                            But if there's any reason for him to behave like an idiot, the customer would've said so.
                            The customer did not proffer any explanation for his behaviour.

                            There's a huge difference between having an opinion (we should have fewer immigrants) and being abusive ("F*** off back to where you come from'').

                            Comment

                            • Leftette
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 1980

                              #15
                              That's what I meant, grip. Keys and McDuck both wonder what the preceding minutes contained, wondering if there was a lead-in or some kind of antagonising remark by the cabbie. That's no excuse, as I said in an earlier post. What I meant above was that IF the preceding minutes proved the guy was provoked, he'd be shouting that from the rooftops, but is not. Therefore I'm willing to bet in the minutes leading up to his rant there was just more effing and blinding and general all-round arseholeishness from the man in question.

                              Comment

                              Working...