"hard-working" kiwis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "hard-working" kiwis

Please, media and others, refrain from using this clichéd prefix. Are you referring specifically to hard-working blue-collar types or hard-working white-collar wealthy kiwis? Or is it a general term applied to the downtrodden masses, whose subset changes entirely depending on the "baddie" to whom they're compared?

Here's a perfect example: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10895526

Comment

In Aussie, they're referred to as "Aussie Battlers"
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

It's just the way journalist's spell checks are set up.

If they type 'Kiwis' then 'hard working' is automatically inserted in front of that word.

Similarly, 'Fonterra' automatically inserts 'dairy giant'
        and 'searching' automatically inserts 'frantically'
        (Have you ever seen a casual, laid-back, and slothful search?)

Comment

'Schoolteacher' is prefixed with 'under paid'

Comment

and

g..... LLs

p... tenants

h....... shearer
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
              'Schoolteacher' is prefixed with 'under paid'

MMMMMM Are they( I guessing that's the reason for the wink)? Total up their annual leave, add in the teacher only days (which despite claims to the contrary are generally used as holidays) and then compare it to the owner of a SME. And please don't even go near the idea that teachers are in the most stressful occupation, prison wardens police and ATC can be shown to have measurably shorter lives ( on average) and higher incidence of stress related illness. Teachers in have a much longer life expectancy( again on average).

My experinece is when Teachers move into a business environment within a few months they stop claiming teachers are underpaid and over stressed
              The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                In Aussie, they're referred to as "Aussie Battlers"
                from struggle street

Comment

Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
                  MMMMMM Are they( I guessing that's the reason for the wink)?
                  More to do with their self-inflicted Novopay experiences when some weren't paid at all.

Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
                  My experinece is when Teachers move into a business environment within a few months they stop claiming teachers are underpaid and over stressed
                  Teachers actually live in an artificial world and few survive the move into a business environment.

Comment

Not sure where you get your ideas from Austrokiwi, but you're way off the mark.
                    Teacher-only days are used for professional development and I've never met a teaching colleague yet who didn't do schoolwork in the holidays. Marking, forward planning/writing of curricula/unit plans, resource development/report writing, classroom organisation, IEP reviews.....
                    Some of the so-called holidays are actually compulsory work days. Just because the kids aren't there, doesn't mean that the staff isn't. For example, at the beginning of the year, the staff are there 1-2 weeks before the kids come back.

And I've never heard a teacher say that it is THE most stressful job. Clearly that is not so. But it certainly is highly stressful and yes, underpaid.
                    My blog. From personal experience.
                    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                      Teacher-only days are used for professional development and I've never met a teaching colleague yet who didn't do schoolwork in the holidays.
                      . For example, at the beginning of the year, the staff are there 1-2 weeks before the kids come back.
                      what used to piss me off was the teacher only days were always straight after a holiday, and as for going back to school before the kids do they probably got bored at home for the last 10 weeks anyway

Comment

I would imagine that the thinking was, it would be easier for parents to extend their school holiday childcare arrangements by a day than to have to make them for a one-off day at some other point in the year.

The Christmas holidays are not 10 weeks! Discounting the 1-2 weeks back in school preparing for the new year, teachers would have 4-5 weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                          , teachers would have 4-5 weeks off.
                          poor buggers, should we pass the hat around

Comment

I don't want to get into an argument, but believe me, teachers earn every second. You cannot believe the mental, emotional and physical exhaustion upon arriving at the end of the school year unless you've lived it.

When you hit that wall, you start to realise how long you've been running on empty.

Teaching is one of those professions where you think they have it really cushy until you give it a go yourself. Then you quickly learn!

Comment

Why don't teachers chuck in their tough jobs and long hours and get a cushy job with higher pay doing something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X