X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speights boy
    replied
    Labour pledges to repeal charter schools legislation

Labour will repeal the Education Amendment Act that paved the way for the creation of charter schools if it gets into Government.
    www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10905015

Leave a comment:

• sidinz
    replied
    Finally! A sliver of good sense!

Leave a comment:

• speights boy
    replied
    Also, the shadow of anonymity has been ordered to be lifted.

Ministry ordered to release names of charter school applicants
    Former Act Party president Catherine Isaac and chairwoman of the Partnership School Working Group was found in the report to have assured two applicants they would remain anonymous as one had said they could be harassed for wanting to set up a charter school.
    School A wrote to the Ombudsman saying: ``if the Working Group cannot guarantee out confidentiality at this stage we request that our submission be withdrawn and to be notified immediately.''
    The school told him it was concerned that if it was named it would impact on the viability of its existing operations.

School B was concerned that if it was named, staff may leave and it would be harder to recruit good teachers.

Ms Isaac said she would not comment and that the ministry could answer questions.
    www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10903240

Leave a comment:

• drelly
    replied
    Originally posted by speights boy View Post
    Apart from this decision.

Destiny Church's charter school application declined

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10903074
    Ha! GOOD!!!

Leave a comment:

• speights boy
    replied
    Originally posted by sidinz View Post
    And I can tell you that the vast bulk of what the govt has been trying to do recently, is detrimental to education.
    Apart from this decision.

Destiny Church's charter school application declined

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10903074

Leave a comment:

• sidinz
    replied
    For the first time ever, I attended a few union meetings last year. The very strong message from everyone at those meetings - at the school, regional and national levels - was that the union welcomed positive change (i.e. that had clear outcomes that would benefit students) but would fight tooth and nail against change that would be detrimental to education.

And I can tell you that the vast bulk of what the govt has been trying to do recently, is detrimental to education.

Leave a comment:

• eri
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
    If teachers are 'called' then how come their union is extremely aggressive, unco-operative and strongly resistant to change?
    How can a 'called' person be so hostile to others?
    sounds like the catholic church

is religion a calling?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by sidinz View Post
    I can't speak for all, but for most it is because teaching is a calling and are certainly not in it for the pay.
    If teachers are 'called' then how come their union is extremely aggressive, unco-operative and strongly resistant to change?
    How can a 'called' person be so hostile to others?

Leave a comment:

• jimO
    replied
    i have a neighbor who is a high school teacher, at the moment he is at their holiday home up the coast with his family, has been all week, same with last school holidays he always complains at xmas he "has" to do ncea marking but i understand he gets paid extra for this and it isnt compulsory, not all teachers do 10 hr days, not all teachers are dedicated, not all teachers are there because they were "called"

Leave a comment:

• flyernzl
    replied
    I agree that there are unnoticed hassles.

My sister eventually had to get an unlisted telephone number, as she could not cope with the ever-increasing number of 'concerned parents' calling her at all hours about their 'gifted' children.

Leave a comment:

• sidinz
    replied
    Originally posted by jimO View Post
    i dont get 14 weeks a year off
    Nor do teachers. But I did typically do 10hr days in school plus the weekend and holiday stuff. And I wasn't even exceptional. Others worked far harder than I did.

Might I suggest that some/many of the former teachers who couldn't hack a corporate environment were there because they couldn't hack a teaching environment?

Why don't teachers chuck in their tough jobs and long hours and get a cushy job with higher pay doing something else?
    I can't speak for all, but for most it is because teaching is a calling and are certainly not in it for the pay. If you totted up the skills that an average teacher uses on a daily basis and applied private sector pay rates to it, you would get a far higher salary than what teachers actually receive.

I have often read comments from the public in the online Herald when educational issues come up and am constantly amazed at how ill-informed people are about what actually happens in classrooms. They seem to think that it is just how it was when they were at school and that nothing goes on behind the scenes. The reality is far different.

Leave a comment:

• muppet
    replied
    really, i start at 8 finish around 5 and work saturdays and sundays and i dont get 14 weeks a year off
    Time for a change of jobs then, jim0

Leave a comment:

• jimO
    replied
    Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
    Many try.

The sensible ones do it by taking a years leave of absence to try life in the real world.

That way, they have a bolt-hole when they realize that not everybody in the business world starts work at 9.01am and finishes for the day at 4.59pm and do absolutely no work in the evenings and weekends.

My ex-wife was a school teacher and so was my sister, so I have some knowledge on how they think and operate.
    really, i start at 8 finish around 5 and work saturdays and sundays and i dont get 14 weeks a year off

Leave a comment:

• flyernzl
    replied
    Many try.

The sensible ones do it by taking a years leave of absence to try life in the real world.

That way, they have a bolt-hole when they realize that not everybody in the business world starts work at 9.01am and finishes for the day at 4.59pm and do absolutely no work in the evenings and weekends.

My ex-wife was a school teacher and so was my sister, so I have some knowledge on how they think and operate.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Kane
    replied
    Why don't teachers chuck in their tough jobs and long hours and get a cushy job with higher pay doing something else?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X