• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case against property investing

Brent Sheather: Safe as houses?

By Brent Sheather
    9:30 AM Wednesday Jun 13, 2012
    Picture / Geoff Sloan

You can't be certain about many things these days - death and taxes of course - and you could probably add to that the prospect of getting a flurry of furious replies from enraged property investors if you write an article impugning the investment merit of residential property. Gareth Morgan did just that the other day and when I last looked there had been 178 comments on the Herald website which is surely some sort of record.
    A good majority of these are not happy with some respondents blaming a mistrust of the stockmarket as leaving housing as one of the least bad options. But what the heck, I thought I would have a go anyway.
    Last month an interesting new book was published in the UK, written by Neil Monnery. Mr Monnery is a graduate of both Oxford and Harvard Universities and worked for one of the world's most prestigious management consultants, The Boston Consulting Group.
    The book is entitled "Safe as Houses" but the author's conclusion is that residential investment is anything but safe. Mr Monnery is clearly worried about the housing market and he takes a close look at what he considers are three of the major misconceptions about housing investment. These misconceptions are that:
    • House prices go up over the medium and long term
    • Dips are an opportunity to get into the market because they are relatively brief
    • Prices grow well ahead of the rate of inflation making houses a very good investment.
    Mr Monnery argues that these beliefs are widely held because they reflect the experience of the housing market that most of us have had over our lifetimes. He has spent a great deal of effort getting very long term historical data on residential property prices in the US, the UK, various European countries and Australia including a 400 year history of house prices in Holland.
    First up however he looks at the popular phrase "safe as houses". Mr Monnery says that "as safe as houses" entered the lexicon in the late 1860s at about the time that shares in railway companies crashed in the UK. Whilst it is now held to mean that owning property is attractive other people argue that the original saying actually referred to physical safety and was derived from a family of phrases that started in the 1600s with such well known sayings like "as safe as a mouse in a mill" then moved on to "is safe as a crow in a gutter" before finally reaching "as safe as houses".

More in the Granny at
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

I haven't read the article but he sounds like a sad little fellow trying to justify not buying a house.
    Similar to Bernard Hickey.

Comment

Why would investors be angry if someone writes against investing in property? Surely less people in the Market is a good thing.

Altho flippers and mentors might have something to say about it

Comment

Well, I read the article and like most "anti-property" types, he conveniently ignores the effects of leverage....i.e. how a PI can turn a small investment into a very sizable asset

And to date, these increases in capital are still not taxable

Try that with any other asset class

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          Why would investors be angry if someone writes against investing in property? Surely less people in the Market is a good thing.
          my thoughts exactly

Comment

Like anything it's good to spread your risk and diversify your investments.

Comment

And I have to agree with Gareth's article - he's right. A friend of mine has a house worth over $700k, no mortgage, and the banks won't lend him money to grow his business. Housing prices are crazy in NZ. Not good for investors either as we have to pay too much for them and can't charge enough rent to make the figures really work most of the time.

Comment

There will be no letting up of our love of property until we can raise funds to invest elsewhere. Great to have the regular titbits of Bernard and Gareth but really they are not changing what we do! - Banks LOVE property - until they change there will be no change and we'll continue to pull our $$ into the property market - yaaooh!

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Yes although gareth is right the problem being if the govt makes it a disincentive to invest in property there will not be enough housing for those that cannot afford to own a home. That means the govt will have to build more housing and the tax payer obviously will pay for it.

Originally posted by donna View Post
                  There will be no letting up of our love of property until we can raise funds to invest elsewhere. Great to have the regular titbits of Bernard and Gareth but really they are not changing what we do! - Banks LOVE property - until they change there will be no change and we'll continue to pull our $$ into the property market - yaaooh!

cheers,

Donna

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                    Banks LOVE property - until they change there will be no change and we'll continue to pull our $$ into the property market - yaaooh!
                    Banks love property because the Reserve Banks lets them carry less capital over mortgages than business loans so they can make more money. The RB could change that with a simple rule change.

Comment

Working...
                    X