nz'ers getting on top of their debts, well some of them
Collapse
X
-
I find this bullet point totally incomprehensible. We've got an RC on our PPOR. Everything we buy comes from the RC. Heck, our groceries come from extending the mortgage. That's the whole point of having an RC!!If, however, you answer "yes" to two or more of these questions, then you really need to question your reliance on debt:
...
*Have you bought consumer goods by extending your mortgage or using revolving credit in the past two years?
I think what gets me is that so many people seem to treat a mortgage as different to any other debt. So if you spend 5 years paying off a mortgage at minimum rates while saving separately for a holiday, you're being good. But if you spend 5 years paying off the mortgage faster and then put the holiday on an RC, you're "extending your mortgage" and that's bad. Grrr.
<end rant>
Interesting article, other than that.
-
A revolving credit is not for everyone, but I have seen many of my clients use them to reduce debt over the long term. If I help a client review their rates or structure and find that the revolving balance has not moved, I suggest taking a floating home loan with an ap setup for additional payments. Then the client is in control of the ap but can not redraw very easily.Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
My Website
Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter
Comment
-
Oh, sure, but I think treating mortgage debt as "special" encourages people to use RCs badly. I've found an RC helps me be disciplined about repaying the mortgage. It means our day-by-day bank account has a nasty high negative balance, so it's a constant reminder that we're in debt!
Comment


Comment