Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Hoy Fong - Will The Next Boom Be The Boom Of All Booms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChiefWigum
    Maybe NZers should have more children. Last year the Ozzy govt said people should have more children - two for themselves and 'one for their country' (I love that comment). Maybe we should have two for our country?
    Well I'm in favour ..... now if I can just convince my wife
    Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

Hi Forumites

Well I am guessing on the odds that there will be a boom of all booms around 2010 to 2012, so while you are all busy breeding another mini boom for tomorrow and creating tenants for me, my family and grand kids in the years to come, I had better get going hard out buying IPs for them to rent.

So the question to you all "Will the next Property Boom be the Boom of all Booms?" and is anyone going to take action.

Something else to consider, when oil starts to running low, and transportation starts getting more expensive, and when there are too many cars, CBD is going to be so much more valuable.

Cheers Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,
        Something else to consider, when oil starts to running low, and transportation starts getting more expensive, and when there are too many cars, CBD is going to be so much more valuable.
        That's what I believe too. Additional reasons are:
        (1) High-density growth strategy (read apartment buildings) has not worked because of strong resistance from local residents. The CBD is the only place with least resistance.
        (2) The triple-bypass roading project promised by John Banks has been reversed and now the left-wing city council is promoting public transport. With the number of cars growing at twice the rate of population growth in Auckland, commuting by car will be very difficult. All we need is just one minor accident on Highway 1 to paralyse the city traffic..

Comment

Originally posted by RonHoyFong
          I suggest you get a copy of the DVD "The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream".
          Its an eyeopener.
          Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Originally posted by fudosan
            Hi Ron,
            That's what I believe too. Additional reasons are:
            (1) High-density growth strategy (read apartment buildings) has not worked because of strong resistance from local residents. The CBD is the only place with least resistance.
            (2) The triple-bypass roading project promised by John Banks has been reversed and now the left-wing city council is promoting public transport. With the number of cars growing at twice the rate of population growth in Auckland, commuting by car will be very difficult. All we need is just one minor accident on Highway 1 to paralyse the city traffic..
            Originally posted by Gatekeeper
            I suggest you get a copy of the DVD "The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream".
            Its an eyeopener.
            Hi fudosan,
            I guess the choice comes down to a city apartment to save in the cost of transportation, or a lifestyle block where I can park my horses needed for traveling around. The garage can then be converted into a stable, or a sleep-out to rent!

Hi Gatekeeper,
            "The End of Suburbia - is this a DVD at the local video rental or a special training one?

Cheers Ron
            Last edited by donna; 27-07-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I, for one, very much doubt the demise of personal transport is likely, but rather the demise of mineral oil as a fuel - and what a great thing that will be, as most of the world's larger oil supplies seem to be in some of the most inhospitable places. Hydrogen will be the next fuel for personal transport. It will be relatively clean and green, but will be more expensive.
              Julian
              Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

I agree with Julian, personal transport is here to stay and what "The End of Suburbia" doesn't cover is the exponential growth of the many new nascent technologies.

For example this is a good article on China's potential hydrogen economy:

The People's Republic is on the fast track to become the car capital of the world. And the first alt-fuel superpower.

New Zealand could do this and do it faster than China but N.Z doesn't have the focus unfortunately. Also Broadband and the Bill Gates wired house will enable people to work remotely more and more.

Comment

Hi Ron,
                  "End of Suburbia" was produced in Canada and isn't readily available at a video store. I was given a copy, and there have been screenings in most major centres. You'll probably just have to keep an eye out, or one of the TV stations might pick it up eventually.

cheers

Comment

"End of Suburbia" was produced in Canada and isn't readily available at a video store. I was given a copy, and there have been screenings in most major centres. You'll probably just have to keep an eye out, or one of the TV stations might pick it up eventually.
                    You can get it off the net easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                      Originally posted by RonHoyFong
                      Its an eyeopener.
                      Originally posted by Robot
                      You can get it off the net easy enough.
                      Hi Robot; Hi Gatekeeper

Went into GOOGLE search, and found the following.

The documentary "End of Suburbia" is showing in Auckland at "The Classic" 123 Queen Street, 17th April 2005 7:30pm

Should be interesting to watch.

Cheers Ron

Comment

The documentary "End of Suburbia" is showing in Auckland at "The Classic" 123 Queen Street, 17th April 2005 7:30pm
                        Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. But, is "The Classic" a movie theatre? The address suggsts it must be very close to the Guardian Trust building.

Comment

This might be another one of my "out there" posts but, what happens when we run out of hydrogen or other resources, we just don’t plan ahead far enough when it comes to the future of our planet and children, dare I say humanity.

With a few planets only a hop, skip and jump away why we are not looking at transporting the various resources back here is perplexing, why wait until the situation is desperate.

Ok there are a few logistical issues, but I say did we not put a man on the moon?

Not only this, but I consider the bigger issue to be the drinking water resources, which planet has water on it!!

I would love to see the scenario planning that goes on at the Pentagon for these sort of doomsday propositions.

Ok, back to property, yes I vote for the city being a good investment taking into account the future issues with personal transport. Though I still would not look at anything under 50 m2, must have a view and it must have a car park, ironic .

Just some thoughts...

Comment

Hi Guys

No worries about oil for hundreds of years.

Otherwise do a search for search for Alberta oil sands in Canada. Apparently there is enough oil to last at least 400 years.

The problem up till now has been the cost of extraction - something like $50 per barrel. However with advances in extraction the cost is down to around $10 per barrel and there are trillions of barrels of oil available for extraction.

Regards
                            "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by ivi
                              This might be another one of my "out there" posts but, what happens when we run out of hydrogen or other resources, we just don’t plan ahead far enough when it comes to the future of our planet and children, dare I say humanity.
                              Not at all Ivi, your point is valid. I got in trouble here a while back for pointing out to another poster that hydrogen is not an energy.
                              So not trying to cause waves here, but hydrogen is only a carrier of energy, like a battery.
                              You need another energy source to split it out from water etc.
                              Presently most use natural gas, but you could use just about any energy source. Its actually an energy sink, meaning by converting one energy to another you lose on the deal, 2nd law and all that. So the hydrogen economy, other than being clean burning is a bit of a crock as a replacement for oil.

Originally posted by ivi
                              With a few planets only a hop, skip and jump away why we are not looking at transporting the various resources back here is perplexing, why wait until the situation is desperate.
                              Ok there are a few logistical issues, but I say did we not put a man on the moon?.
                              This has been looked at, and from what I've read, it takes more energy to get there and back and maintain mining operations than the energy we would receive from what we mined. The stuff is there, but its only so many parts per million. If we found a cheap new source of energy that would get us there and back, we wouldn't need to be there in the first place

Whatever happens, the cost of energy is going to go up significantly in the coming years.
                              I've invested in solar hot water for my PPOR, and I'm making some good savings, and I'll be putting it into a dwelling I'm building this year.
                              Its great to be able to turn on the hot water and use as much as I like without it costing one extra cent - Well in the summer anyway

Next is the rooftop wind turbine
                              Last edited by donna; 27-07-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

ivi, don't worry your not out there, in the gravel a little maybe though (Just kidding )

Drinking water is related to pollution and global warming, if it worries you (as it should) then put pressure on the government to stop burning coal!! Water etc is incredibly important but most scientists agree that a super virus is a greater threat (see Stephen Hawking's). Also hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe (we can get it from water, 2 hydrogen 1 oxygen per molecule) so running out is not the issue, making it a viable fossil fuel replacement is.

Also 3 countries have already publicly announced moon bases or similar (not including Europe, not sure what their plan is) and the idea of terraforming Mars has been around for years.

Ron

"The End of Suburbia" is good but a bit sensationalized/Michael Moore style. It makes valid points sure, complete with the eerie soundtrack and carefully chosen narrator. But it just basically says there are no realistic alternatives and paints the worst-case scenario as a given. Doesn't even mention the Japan/Europe nuclear fusion reactor project, satellite solar power or Australia's Solar Tower. Obviously urgent action is needed for many reasons though. I can FTP it to you if you want.

Comment

Working...
                                X