Bad form I say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The full article, posted on the Hybrid website is as follows:

The Truth Is Out… Don’t Throw Your Pearls To Swine!
    By Kieran Trass

This year 2010 is the year of the Tiger (虎) in the Chinese zodiac related to the Chinese calendar. Sadly though, based on what’s been happening in the property
    investment ‘education’ industry anyone would think that it was the year of the Pig …

It is disappointing to evidence the traditional pattern that we always see when the Slump phase of the property cycle really takes hold. The pattern I’m referring to is the pattern of those who target YOU as a property investor to transfer value from your hard earned wealth to them without genuinely adding value to your situation.
    It’s fact that the schemes being promoted most often end up consuming yourresources (time and money) with little or nothing in return.

This ‘value transfer’ is inequitable because it is a certainty that most people willnot receive the equivalent value of what you pay for these services.

It was with a heavy heart this year I found myself at events where such products were being promoted by other speakers. In one case was blatantly misled into presenting at the seminar under false pretences (and sadly also invited my database to attend these seminars!).

False pretences, because what was not made clear to me, before accepting the invitation, was a dubious scheme intended to be promoted without my prior knowledge.

In one case my suspicion was aroused when I was invited to be a guest speaker so I asked a simple question about whether a certain product which I consider the equivalent of ‘snake oil’ was going to be promoted at the event. This is when I was told “NO, Kieran definitely not…”. In fact if they had been honest they knew that I would have shunned the event and not invited my database to attend, so they lied.

The regret for inviting my database to attend these events is strong because for the last decade my company has built a large database of people interested in genuine property investment and have tried very hard to protect the database members from those promoting questionable products which result in distracting property investors away from their core business of property investing.

Many unsuccessful attempts have been made in the past to ‘get in front of my companies database’ to promote everything from negatively geared property investments to buying franchises in worthless businesses.

It seems in the current more difficult times for the property industry the methods being used by some to access ‘good customers’ are more deceptive than ever. So let the truth be known. The property investment ‘education’ industry has suffered a huge reduction in cash flow since the boom ended in 2007.

Many of the current ‘educators’ have not even experienced an entire property cycle and they do not understand the cyclical nature of the property investment industry.

Now is the time the true nature of ‘educators’ becomes clearly revealed. Those who stick to their core business and those who don’t.

You can see the large ‘distraction lane’ in the image of my board game below. In my 20+ years of investing in property it has become apparent that we as property investors are often TARGETED by various schemes and scams to make money from us without reciprocally adding true value back to us. These are what I’m referring to
    as DISTRACTIONS because they are designed to divert your resources away from traditional property investing and into other ‘products’ that apparently will be better than your property investment efforts… yeah right!

Here are just some of the more common schemes/scams targeting property investors over the years;

• TIMESHARES
    • FIJI SECTIONS
    • ISLAND RESORT ‘SERVICED’ APARTMENTS
    • ‘BLUE CHIP’ STYLE COMPANIES
    • GOLD COAST APARTMENTS
    • LUXURY ACCOMMODATION (usually some resort style development)
    • OFFSHORE PROPERTY IN SOME ‘EXOTIC’ LOCATION
    • BARE LAND IN REMOTE REGIONAL LOCATIONS where demand for such land is muted and land supply is abundant
    • STORAGE UNITS
    • STRATEGY ‘MANUALS’ with all the strategies you will ever need on how to make money from property (of course these manuals never give you the whole picture or become outdated so you need to spend even more money with the so called ‘educator’ selling them to implement the strategies)
    • TAX LIENS schemes
    • INTERNET MARKETING schemes
    • OUTRIGHT SCAMS SUCH AS ‘INVESTORS INTERNATIONAL’ ‘investment’ scam of the late 1990’s

HERE’S HOW… the promoters of these products attempt to add credibility to their efforts to deceive you into parting with your money;

MISGUIDED TRUST - Trust me… I’m Religious / a Christian / Churchgoer / (fill in the blank) or have some other affiliation which means I’m ethical…

FALSELY IMPLIED RELATIONSHIPS – Look who my ‘so-called’ mentors are… or “I already have the best of what they offer, you don’t need those experts in their own fields…”

THE FEAR OF LOSS - You will miss out if you don’t follow this advice now…

HUGELY SUCCESSFUL CASE STUDIES / TESTIMONIALS – See! Anyone can make this work…

GET RICH HERE NOW - Get rich quick here now

IGNORE THE TRIED AND TESTED WAY - The ‘old way’ of investing doesn’t work anymore…

DON’T BE OLD FASHIONED AND GET WITH THE TIMES - This is the ‘modern way’ to get rich easily…

WE ARE ALIGNED TO A CREDIBLE ORGANISATION – We are affiliated with a ‘School’, ‘Institute’, ‘Non-Profit’ organization …

There’s recently been a possibly bogus ‘Institute’ for Investment Property Educators established called – New Zealand Institute of Investment Property Educators Limited – to give the appearance of some legitimate Institution however the company is owned by a PI educator themselves who appear to be using the term Institute to imply the company is an independent institute, when it appears not to be so.

These methods of deception are not new and have been used for generations - to deceive genuine people in to parting with their hard earned cash.

The people promoting such schemes and using these methods of garnering trust, in my opinion, are simply LOCUSTS… They will strip your resources of money and time as quickly as they can and then disappear (or refuse to talk to you anymore when your promised riches fail to materialize or the deal goes sour…)

Please understand that these distractions all lead to the same destination, emptying your wallet and not returning true value back to you.

We have clearly reached ‘the tipping point’ in this Slump where desperation takes hold of the locusts and they embark on more and more destructive behaviour to attempt to satisfy their hunger for money at any cost to YOU.

It is in these times that you can easily spot the locusts because their hyperbole becomes more and more extreme and their outlandish claims become even more outlandish! It is in their desperation to make money from you in tough times that they always reveal their true nature.

Here’s how can you protect yourself from getting ‘ripped off’ or your resources from being devoured by these locusts;
    • Question Every Claim They Make And Ask The Opinions Of Other Property Investors Not Aligned With The Promoters About The Promoters History…
    • Trust Your Instincts – Don’t Fall Prey To Greed
    • Hesitate! Delay Any Purchase So You Have A Cooling Off Period To Consider The Offer Without Any Emotion

My businesses Hybrid Group and SuburbWatch are sticking to our core business and developing additional research and analysis methods to continue to provide top quality research and analysis as the market progresses through the property cycle.
    ... article continues here.

(NOTE: Red font is done by me; original article had lots of stuff highlighted in bold, but didn't carry through to here.)
    Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Xav View Post
      Assuming for the moment it is not a joke, the Christchurch and Auckland events were only two days apart. I won't presume to speak for Keiran, but a couple of reasonable explanations come to mind immediately:

1. He was contractually bound to attend the second seminar; or

2. Having already provided his database to the organisers he thought it would better to attend the second seminar and give his clients who attended some content he considered beneficial rather than not going at all.

It also has to be said that if you genuinely believe Keiran wasn't referring to you it would be a lot easier and more effective to approach him directly and have him print a clarification.
      I think your wrong Xav, I'm sure these two events were at least a week apart?

Also if he was contractually bound to attend and speak then surely he would have made sure he was happy with "All" of the terms of the contract including the line up of speakers and products.

If he is really as concerned about being tainted by association as his media release seems to imply then surely he would have included this sort of protection into any speakers contract?

Either way only he can confirm this, maybe he should just come out with it and state his grievance and who he claims to be the liable party, or retract his statement.

Otherwise it could be construed as a rash attempt at a wholesale smear of everyone in the "Educator" market.

Comment

I provided a link in my post halfempty. According to the "property gurus" website they were only two days apart.

Your other comments are certainly valid but do have the benefit of hindsight. I doubt that a contract to provide a presentation would ordinarily refer to any of the other presenters unless you specifically requested it do so.

While I agree that it would be useful for Keiran to clarify, he did clearly specify the type of strategies he was referring to. Perhaps it would be useful for people to more closely consider that list. It is easy enough to link those to particular "educators".

While I don't think he intended a wholesale smear, the impression I get from reading the release are that his concerns are not limited to any one outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by Xav View Post
          I provided a link in my post halfempty. According to the "property gurus" website they were only two days apart.
          I don't mean to go on about it but the New Zealand Property Gurus events were 2 day events in Christchurch and Auckland on a weekend, so they can't have been 2 days apart.

Comment

I could easily be wrong . That was the only reference I could find on their website to an event that was held in both Christchurch and Auckland (as referred to in the original post).

Comment

Originally posted by New Zealand Property Guru View Post
              I was today reading an article by fellow guru Kieran Trass called “The Truth Is Out... Don’t Throw Your Pearls To Swine!”

And I was shocked to think that others in our industry would treat him so!

When I heard that he had been “blatantly misled into presenting at the seminar under false pretenses”, I firstly thought that if only you had stuck with the Faculty at New Zealand Property Gurus this would never have happened.

After rocking the house in Christchurch Kieran couldn’t wait to join the same speakers at the Auckland event, which he also raved about.

We pride ourselves on our transparency and collaboration so think it is reprehensible that someone would be lying just to access a database.

Actually I’m sure now that I think about it that I also spoke at the event that Kieran is probably referring to, after the NZPG events, so if it is them that it very sad.

Any way I can only say I am glad that we are able to support speakers in New Zealand and internationally without these issues and we look forward to having Kieran at future events.

I guess the only funny thing about Kierans article is his negative reference to presenters speaking about their religious beliefs.

The only time I can recall this happening, other than Steve Mcknight and Dean Letfus, who both mention it without offending, is when Kieran spoke at some length about his buddhist/new age beliefs at NZ Property Gurus

Stick with the best Kieran, then you won’t get burned!!
              Gidday Dean "Rocking the House" ????
              Definitely one of your phrases

Comment

All these events are just hard sell. I have attended PJ's seminars before, and I gotta say Dean L and Shaun S have put up a better "sales show" than before. The problem with all these 'free' seminars is, the presenters only present the good, but they never tell you the mistakes they have made. If you look into the failed developments they have done, you will know what type of investor they are.

Comment

The Liberal Left have no time for religious beliefs in business deals, although you can believe what you like outside of scope. I'll even extend that offer to those scientologist types.

Comment

I still think the original post was a spoof or a prank. I don't believe he/she is connected with the NZ Property Gurus.

Peter Aranyi
                    Blog: www.thePaepae.com
                    Peter Aranyi
                    Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

Cheers
                      Spaceman

Comment

Don't be so sure of that..
                        Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by BusyLizzy View Post
                          Don't be so sure of that..
                          I guess this is a reference to my earlier comment: "I don't believe he/she is connected with the NZ Property Gurus." ?

If so, wow. That's an interesting bit of nudge-nudge, wink, wink from someone in the 'engine room' to use Perry's expression.

Thanks Lisa. Oh. I'm prepared to change my opinion based on that new data.

It also fits in with the erudite Andrew King's theory:
                          Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                          Unfortunately I don't think Property Guru's post is a joke. I think it is one of that companies owners unsuccessfully trying some damage control.
                          What say you spaceman? Trivial but interestink.

Peter Aranyi
                          Blog: www.thePaepae.com
                          Peter Aranyi
                          Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

ummmmmmmm
                            does that mean busylizzy can see Ip address and we have a duplicate user??

Comment

Originally posted by whitt View Post
                              ummmmmmmm
                              No comment.

Cheers,

Donna
                              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by whitt View Post
                                ummmmmmmm
                                NZ ISPs run on shared ips for most of their hosting. Only the big corporates would have fixed IPs without shelling out $ to get one. Since most of us wouldn't know what to do with a fixed IP we're all quite happy cross pollinating.

Shared IP will never be 100% foolproof.
                                Charging enough rent?
                                NZ Scams to Avoid
                                Add a sleepout to your rental property

Comment

Working...
                                X