Civil Defence issues Tsunami warning after Samoa quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Defence issues Tsunami warning after Samoa quake

A tsunami warning has been issued for New Zealand after an earthquake struck Samoa.

The Ministry of Civil Defence said the quake, measuring 8.3 on the Richter scale struck at 06.48am New Zealand time.

The quake was centred 200 kilometres from Apia at a depth of 35 kilometres. A witness told Radio New Zealand villages on the south-east coast of Upolu had been flattened and police were moving people to higher ground.

Newstalk ZB reported that a 3 metre wave had hit the coast.

New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defence said that the The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center had warned that the quake was likely to have generated a tsunami.

Director John Hamilton said that the Ministry has alerted New Zealand's regional Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Groups, Police, Fire Service, Ministry of Health, Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and other government agencies, and media.

He said the ministry had activated the National Crisis Management Centre and was coordinating central government response.

Read more: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10600389

Also Stuff.co.nz has times to hit NZ: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-p...er-Samoa-quake

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

A wave of about a maximum height of 1 metre is expected to hit NZ around now.

Cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

That size wave will just about wash up to your garage, Donna.
      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Twitter updates here: http://twitter.com/BusinessTalk
        Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Comment

When the Samoa tsunami is due in your town

NBR staff | Wednesday September 30 2009 - 09:50am
          A Google mash-up has just been posted that shows when the Tsunami will hit around New Zealand.
          Click below below to see a more detailed version.
          Meanwhle NIWA's website appears to have crashed under the weight of public traffic trying to access its weather webcams.
          More:
          NZ Tsunami Gauge Network
          US Weather Service Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
          Ministry of Civil Defence tsunami warning
          NZ Herald: Tsunami warning for NZ after Samoa quake
          Stuff: Tsunami on way to NZ

View Tsunami Arrival Times in a larger map

The National Business Review Online is New Zealand's authority in breaking business news and analysis.
          "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

No wave came here Bob! Kapiti Island may have taken the steam out of it.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

My daughter Brooke and her partner Matt are vacationing in Samoa. We had Airpoints we could use, so gave them a holiday.

I received a phone call from another NZ-er over there to tell me they were safe and then about ten minutes later she's managed to get through on phone this a.m. As soon as earthquake hit, they got in car (luckily passports were in it already) and drove.

Where they were staying has been completely decimated.

I think they've only got the clothes that they're standing up in. Due on on Friday 2/10 anyway. Brooke very shaky on phone. Both safe, thank god.
              Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I'm at the mount but someone stole my surfboard and I have not replaced it yet.
                I'll have to borrow one.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                  My daughter Brooke and her partner Matt are vacationing in Samoa. We had Airpoints we could use, so gave them a holiday.

I received a phone call from another NZ-er over there to tell me they were safe and then about ten minutes later she's managed to get through on phone this a.m. As soon as earthquake hit, they got in car (luckily passports were in it already) and drove.

Where they were staying has been completely decimated.

I think they've only got the clothes that they're standing up in. Due on on Friday 2/10 anyway. Brooke very shaky on phone. Both safe, thank god.
                  Glad they are safe. You must have been worried sick.
                  Jo Birch
                  Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                  +61 450 148 678

Comment

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has cancelled its Pacific-wide tsunami warning, and New Zealand's Civil Defence has downgraded its warning to an alert.

Comment

Is this news in the forum so we can sell today any coastal property that may get damaged ?

Comment

Absolutely worried sick.

News feed from Sky News Australia - which I am watching avidly!! - RNZAF military aircraft to be sent to Samoa to assist.

Death toll 5 so far.
                        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                          Absolutely worried sick.

News feed from Sky News Australia - which I am watching avidly!! - RNZAF military aircraft to be sent to Samoa to assist.

Death toll 5 so far.
                          Just read that Air NZ are putting bigger planes on the AKL to Samoa route today to try and get people off the island.
                          Jo Birch
                          Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                          +61 450 148 678

Comment

No tsunami here at the Mount but there has been a huge down poor.

Comment

Oh Vivenne - good news they are safe! How scary for you and hubby.

Geez have a drink!

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X